IceArizona - Year One: Performance Evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
You should care because this is how government operates. I could care less about the citizens of Glendale. They elected these idiots and don't care about their taxes going up and services being cut.

Those that do not learn from history are bound to repeat it.

How do you Phoenix residents like paying for the albatrosses of MLB and NBA?

If I recall correctly Chase Field was paid off a few years after it opened. Not sure if US Airways still has debt outstanding, but I would doubt that its all that much given that its over 20 years old

jetfan77*

Arizona collect's 47 million a year in hand out's 15 from the city and 32 from revue sharing this is team should have been moved 10 years ago.

jetfan77*

this team should have been kept in Scottsdale we wouldn't be talking about this team they were doing great in Scottsdale.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I keep coming back to try to figure out what point Jetfan77 is trying to make...So far I get..

Upset about attendance, hates revenue sharing, thinks the team should move ( my guess would be wants them to move to Quebec)

This is a league and they are all in this together as a business. One day, like the mid 1990s, small market Canadian teams will need money from the US. With enough teams in place it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
It's welfare

The cap is a windfall to the richest teams. They put out less in revenue sharing and player salaries than they would without a cap.

It's a by-product of some other goal the NHL had.

Also, the Coyotes were never in Scottsdale. That had been Ellman's first choice until he had trouble getting the city to pay for an arena. He found more fertile ground in Glendale, apparently. Yes, that probably would have been a better spot for the Phoenix market.

it was in Scottsdale 4 their first couple of years.

No, downtown Phoenix.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Also, the Coyotes were never in Scottsdale. That had been Ellman's first choice until he had trouble getting the city to pay for an arena. He found more fertile ground in Glendale, apparently. Yes, that probably would have been a better spot for the Phoenix market.

Honestly, I think keeping them in Phoenix would have been best. A central location that all the freeways go to. Tempe and Chandler would have been good options to. Anything that is more centrally located would have been nice. Since, the cards moved out there and the buildup of Westgate its gotten better.

jetfan77*

first off my friend not one nickel of American money went to canadain teams in the mid 90's they just gave the Whole hnic contract to the canadain teams. 75 million and that 75 million came from the pockes of Canadain tax payers.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
first off my friend not one nickel of American money went to canadain teams in the mid 90's they just gave the Whole hnic contract to the canadain teams. 75 million and that 75 million came from the pockes of Canadain tax payers.

Yeah, I never said that US money was given to Canadian teams. The teams got bought and moved but in the future when the Canadian dollar is no longer inflated and the US economy is fully back (if it will ever happen) then there is a strong possibilty for a situation that US money will go to help Canadian teams.

jetfan77*

my faught I thought it was in Scottsdale anyways this should been kept in the downtown arena.

jetfan77*

they should have kept this team in downtown Arizona we wouldn't talking about this team every year they would be doing just fine.But moving this team 2 Glendale has crippled this franchise.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
they should have kept this team in downtown Arizona we wouldn't talking about this team every year they would be doing just fine.But moving this team 2 Glendale has crippled this franchise.

The sight lines at America West Arena were terrible for hockey. They had to move to an actual hockey venue.

And it wasn't the move to Glendale that crippled the franchise, it was the ownership and coaching. Thankfully, we have both now.

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
my faught I thought it was in Scottsdale anyways this should been kept in the downtown arena.

Well, that post pretty much demonstrates approximately zero understanding of the business model of professional sports. The team seeks the most lucrative arrangement for their building needs. This is repeated in essentially every market (for reference, please see Detroit or Edmonton)

For the Coyotes, the most lucrative arrangement was when Glendale offered control of the arena in exchange for some chump change revenue via per ticket surcharges. Since then, Glendale has twice agreed to put up as much as $25MM per year to offset hockey operation losses and now is entered into an agreement that obligates the city to pay $15MM per year while receiving some severely limited revenue shares in return. From the NHLs perspective, Glendale is probably the best market on the planet.

For comparison, the downtown arena that you suppose should be where the team was kept did not offer a very lucrative arrangement for the team. In fact, when the Coyotes were sub-tenants to Colangelo's Suns operation, you could probably summarize their lease agreement as "terrible". It made perfect sense for the Coyotes to move where they were the master tenant. The franchise did fail in Glendale and seek bankruptcy protection but that was for a host of other reasons that likely would have occurred regardless of where the arena was. It can probably be summarized down to "the business model isn't viable in the market". The franchise only exists today because they receive a direct subsidy from Glendale for the physical structure of Gila Arena as well as a direct subsidy from Glendale for the purchase/operation of the franchise.

That subsidy is also a matter of perspective. From the City's perspective, they lose millions on the arrangement. As previously discussed, in an attempt to hide that fact, the city conducted one of the most comically ham-handed disinformation campaigns in the history of governance. From the team perspective, it's the arrangement they must have in order to try to get the franchise to profitability. So, it's a perfectly acceptable agreement for them.

Fan's perspectives are kind of all over the place. I playfully use the word "psychos" for those that believe the junk that Glendale was pushing. But it applies equally to the relocationists who cannot acknowledge that their hometown team likely gets a fair amount of public support themselves.

jetfan77*

the arena in Glendale is in the middle of now where Glendale is tiny little nothing of city putting the team their has falied complety the coyotes are gonna be moved in 3 years .

CasualFan

Tortious Beadicus
Nov 27, 2009
Bay Area, CA
the arena in Glendale is in the middle of now where Glendale is tiny little nothing of city putting the team their has falied complety the coyotes are gonna be moved in 3 years .

Actually, Glendale is a city of over 200k. As part of the Phoenix metropolitan area and according to the 2010 census, Glendale has over 4 million neighbors in their population center. That would be the 2nd largest such region in Canada, behind only Toronto's 5 million.

The team did fail and go to bankruptcy but the rest of your post is highly questionable.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ

Currency equalization program. Hope you find greener pastures elsewhere.

And on that note..... thread size limit is reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad