Confirmed with Link: Ice Caps affiliation extended through 15/16

Donald

Jan 31, 2013
If you're going off just comments on a newspaper article online, then I wouldn't worry.

If we took the comments on the Sun and Free Press seriously, then the Jets would have a) never come back, and b) would have already moved back to Atlanta a few times. Plus nobody would ever go to Bomber games.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I had an interesting conversation with someone today that made me think a bit differently about the situation. I'll just put out the main point of the conversation for... uh... more conversation:

"Extending the relationship with St. John's is bad for the Winnipeg Jets."

Mainly the idea of further travel for call-ups, spreading resources geographically, etc. Thoughts?

The travel is a bit of a problem - you've got a series of long flights and you're 2.5 time zones away (or 4.5 time zones if the Jets are on a Pacific road trip and need a callup). Thunder Bay is on Central time, and one fairly quick flight away.

I'm not sure this is actually costing the team points in the standings, though.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
If by impossible you mean have to spend actual money to get tickets, then I see your point. Otherwise there are always tickets available for Jets games.

Actually, no I wasn't referring to spending actual money to get tickets (which is kind of an ignorant assumption btw) but the fact they sell so quickly. I think it's great that the Jets sell out every game and I'm okay with that if it continues. My only point was that I miss seeing hockey in person that's all. I have seen the Jets at the MTS Centre so it's not like I have never been there. However, when you're not a season ticket holder it's extremely difficult to get 3 tickets together for a young family. If you're older and don't mind sitting in separate locations it's quite alright but you don't want to have younger children sitting on their own. With the Moose that was never an issue. I'm not saying that I want the AHL back instead of the NHL but it would be alright to have the AHL here for a season or 2 just to provide an opportunity to see some live action for those that currently do not get the chance.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I had an interesting conversation with someone today that made me think a bit differently about the situation. I'll just put out the main point of the conversation for... uh... more conversation:

"Extending the relationship with St. John's is bad for the Winnipeg Jets."

Mainly the idea of further travel for call-ups, spreading resources geographically, etc. Thoughts?

I would like to know looking at last season, just how many call ups did we have thru the year and how many of those became an issue because of the time to travel. Just trying to see how big a deal the travel really is.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I would like to know looking at last season, just how many call ups did we have thru the year and how many of those became an issue because of the time to travel. Just trying to see how big a deal the travel really is.

It might be nice to see a real explanation (that is NOT PR speak) from the organization. Heizinger would probably be a good one to talk to. Do the extra travel costs affect the Jets or does Danny Williams pay that? Travel times probably affect management traveling back and forth too, etc.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Chipman himself stated that the location of the team is costly. Not just the expense of travel but because it takes an incredibly long time to get a player here or to points west. This means that at time they carry more players at the NHL level than they would prefer as players are banged up or recovering from injury. East coast road trips are not as plentiful as they were when we resided in the SE conference. It is also the driving force behind the push by the pacific teams for a more western AHL division.

Derfel*

Actually, no I wasn't referring to spending actual money to get tickets (which is kind of an ignorant assumption btw) but the fact they sell so quickly. I think it's great that the Jets sell out every game and I'm okay with that if it continues. My only point was that I miss seeing hockey in person that's all. I have seen the Jets at the MTS Centre so it's not like I have never been there. However, when you're not a season ticket holder it's extremely difficult to get 3 tickets together for a young family. If you're older and don't mind sitting in separate locations it's quite alright but you don't want to have younger children sitting on their own. With the Moose that was never an issue. I'm not saying that I want the AHL back instead of the NHL but it would be alright to have the AHL here for a season or 2 just to provide an opportunity to see some live action for those that currently do not get the chance.

3 tickets together may be more difficult, but I've seen tickets available in pairs right up to game time. But yes - it would be an expensive night out for a family for sure.

I like to fill in the time between NHL games with junior (MJHL) play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad