Confirmed with Link: Ice Caps affiliation extended through 15/16

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=729491&navid=DL|WPG|home

The Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club announced today they have extended their American Hockey League affiliation with the St. John’s IceCaps for one year through the 2015-16 hockey season.

The IceCaps are entering their fourth season this year as Winnipeg’s primary affiliate, having entered into an affiliation when the Jets rejoined the National Hockey League in 2011-12. That season also marked the return of the AHL to St. John’s for the first time since 2005.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think there's lots of moving parts, and Chipman did state Winnipeg is a viable short term option.

Derfel*

I'm glad - I was in St. John's this summer, and they do have them some fans there.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm happy for the fans in St. John's.

Hopefully, this will give them more time to find another franchise.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If by slowly you mean for the last 20 years you would be correct. lol

There seems to be a lot of local opposition to the arena in Thunder Bay. Of course there was here, too...but Chipman sold it pretty well as a mostly privately-funded building and I don't think there were a lot of questions about the building being used enough to turn a profit (the Moose were the prime tenant and there are enough events outside of AHL hockey to keep the arena going through the year).

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
There seems to be a lot of local opposition to the arena in Thunder Bay. Of course there was here, too...but Chipman sold it pretty well as a mostly privately-funded building and I don't think there were a lot of questions about the building being used enough to turn a profit (the Moose were the prime tenant and there are enough events outside of AHL hockey to keep the arena going through the year).

Go take a look at the comments on the telegrams story about the caps stayig. People from Thunder Bay seem to be about as against it as possible

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm happy for St. John's but disappointed they aren't going to be playing in Winnipeg.

I agree. It's almost impossible to get tickets to a Jets game so I was looking forward to going to see some AHL games at the MTS Centre just so I could watch live hockey in person instead of on TV.

Derfel*

I agree. It's almost impossible to get tickets to a Jets game so I was looking forward to going to see some AHL games at the MTS Centre just so I could watch live hockey in person instead of on TV.

If by impossible you mean have to spend actual money to get tickets, then I see your point. Otherwise there are always tickets available for Jets games.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/356989/'Good-news'

Green cautioned the arrangement is still predicated on final approval from all three levels of government to make the event centre a reality.

The more I read comments from people in TB, the more I have to question moving your farm team to a city where a fair number of the people don't want you. In a city the size of TB, you need the full support of everyone in the city, and I don't see that happening.

And on the flip side, where the farm team is now, we seem to have that support.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/news/356989/'Good-news'

Green cautioned the arrangement is still predicated on final approval from all three levels of government to make the event centre a reality.

The more I read comments from people in TB, the more I have to question moving your farm team to a city where a fair number of the people don't want you. In a city the size of TB, you need the full support of everyone in the city, and I don't see that happening.

And on the flip side, where the farm team is now, we seem to have that support.

Winnipeg's farm team would have more than enough support. Thunder Bay is a hockey starved city where thousands show up to watch CIS hockey. CIS!

There's a handful of vocal people who don't watch hockey so they don't want to see tax dollars go towards it. But this city would be over the moon about getting an AHL team.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Winnipeg's farm team would have more than enough support. Thunder Bay is a hockey starved city where thousands show up to watch CIS hockey. CIS!

There's a handful of vocal people who don't watch hockey so they don't want to see tax dollars go towards it. But this city would be over the moon about getting an AHL team.

Yeah, I was kind of thinking there might be some squeaky wheels in Thunder Bay on this issue. We had the "Save the Eatons Building Because I Used to Buy Socks There!" crowd in Winnipeg trying to derail the MTS Centre's construction. That was clearly a tiny fringe, though.

Derfel*

I had an interesting conversation with someone today that made me think a bit differently about the situation. I'll just put out the main point of the conversation for... uh... more conversation:

"Extending the relationship with St. John's is bad for the Winnipeg Jets."

Mainly the idea of further travel for call-ups, spreading resources geographically, etc. Thoughts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad