TSN: Ian White - Left Behind

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Oh man. Such a sad, sad story. I hope everyone watches this.

I always wondered how he fell off so fast from the NHL. I also didn't know or didn't remember the cut to his knee. I feel like an asshole for the posts I made about him playing so well alongside Lids and then washing out of the NHL.

And I definitely never heard about the arrests and gun charges.

The NHL and NHLPA need a much bigger support system for these players struggling with addiction. They're not getting painkillers because of injuries and warrior culture from golfing in the offseason. As his wife sums it up, you feel like family until you're no longer at the rink playing for the league, then you don't hear from them anymore.

What a remarkable person Tess is. Even cleaning a house where there's a framed and signed Ian White jersey. If I saw that in a movie I'd think "aww come on. Laying it on a bit think aren't ya?"

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Pain pills are something I hope to never contend with. They can wreak havoc even on those that can avoid problems with drugs and alcohol. Pills get a lot of professional wrestlers too. Back and knee injuries and they cannot afford to not work given the nature of their business. Similar path in hockey. There is always someone nipping at your heels unless you are elite caliber.

Makes you wonder what the point of the NHLPA if players and dependents cannot depend on them when it matters most.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Oxycontin, Purdue/big pharma and the Sackler family unleashed hell with this addictive treatment, and they knew it. That they haven't been stripped of every dollar frustrates me to no end. That the NHLPA and League turn their backs on players who they know were provided the drug (they have the records) is not criminal* is plain heartless. Isn't the League's history of drug and alcohol abuse long enough to justify a standing program? Why not an athletes substance abuse program and support group across all sport?

*they will hide behind the government allowing the use of the drug.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Oxycontin, Purdue/big pharma and the Sackler family unleashed hell with this addictive treatment, and they knew it. That they haven't been stripped of every dollar frustrates me to no end. That the NHLPA and League turn their backs on players who they know were provided the drug (they have the records) is not criminal* is plain heartless. Isn't the League's history of drug and alcohol abuse long enough to justify a standing program? Why not an athletes substance abuse program and support group across all sport?

*they will hide behind the government allowing the use of the drug.
Oxycodone is addictive as hell. I went through 2 weeks worth of prescription in 4 days, not a freakin care in the world. I don't buy drugs off the street and don't have enough money to bribe a doctor. It's easy to see how pro athletes and celebrities get hooked.

Doctors have cut back a lot on prescribing opiods, They know they're part of the problem.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Heart breaking. I have lost friends family a marriage and a relationship to drug addiction and mental health. I know what she means when she said you lose them before they are gone.

I wish we could find better ways to prevent this from happening and lift all those out of these struggles.

I did take another thing away from this story. She will be an F'n amazing councilor.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Never heard anything about him having issues, and is sad to hear. I always liked him as a player even before Detroit.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Very sad. He was making 3 million a year+ in his heyday and it wasn’t long ago. How the hell can they be broke?

He has been out of the league for about 9 years. Career earnings about $10m so after taxes, escrow, agent, etc he was probably under $5m take home. Drugs have surely cost a lot of money and maybe he had some bad investments as so many professional athletes seem to do. It can go away quicker than you think.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
He has been out of the league for about 9 years. Career earnings about $10m so after taxes, escrow, agent, etc he was probably under $5m take home. Drugs have surely cost a lot of money and maybe he had some bad investments as so many professional athletes seem to do. It can go away quicker than you think.

Yessir. It's almost impossible to make any good decisions when all you can think about is getting your next bottle/pill/dose/fix. Been there. So glad I'm not there today lol.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
I had always thought that Babcock had run White off the team, but with everything that's come to light since that's obviously not true. Really sad.
Hear hear. Hell it kind of makes sense now why the organization and Stevie are SO obsssedded with good character. Ian white may (and Probey and others of course) may have neccisated that.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I found this podcast interview with White, I think it's important to hear his side of the story:

He gives a very honest account of his whole past, including his time with the Wings.

McCarty and Quincey have also done interviews on this podcast.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
I found this podcast interview with White, I think it's important to hear his side of the story:

He gives a very honest account of his whole past, including his time with the Wings.

McCarty and Quincey have also done interviews on this podcast.

I’ll have to listen to that. Ian’s podcast with Hat trick hockey from June 2021 that I stumbled upon was sad. Like sad in the sense that White sounded like a zombie just not much cognition left

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I just listened to that whole podcast interview, one of the craziest and most honest interviews I’ve ever heard.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
That's heartbreaking, I will have to listen to the Ian White interview later today. I hope he can get help and someday reunite with his family. I know there isn't much helping an addict until they want to help themselves, but man I wish someone could help the guy out so bad. Leaving a wife behind is one thing, having your kids grow up without you is a whole different level of awful.

I know from personal experience that when addicted to a substance it can be hard to even fathom the thought of living without that substance. You don't fully realize how much better off you are being sober until you really are sober, and sometimes it takes being sober for quite a while to have that realization. It can be a bit of a catch-22 and it's really unfortunate.

Wishing Ian and his family the best.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad