Injury Report: Ian Mitchell out six weeks with wrist injury

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Didn’t you say something similar about Strome not having trade value/not being qualified?
KD is hard for Bedard, and Strome would have won so many games for Chicago.

That's why Washington gave him millions of dollars to feed elite passes to Ovie.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Delete this.
Why? It’s kind of where everyone on the board here thinks. Plus it’s Jay so it’s reasonable to assume it’s factual. He gets very few scoops but also nearly no total misses.
Mitchell evidently is in the last chance phase of his Hawk stay.
As much as you try to pretend he was just too important in Rockford. Maybe he never got recalled because the others are better?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Why? It’s kind of where everyone on the board here thinks. Plus it’s Jay so it’s reasonable to assume it’s factual. He gets very few scoops but also nearly no total misses.
Mitchell evidently is in the last chance phase of his Hawk stay.
As much as you try to pretend he was just too important in Rockford. Maybe he never got recalled because the others are better?
But, number one defenseman in Rockford! (Ignore almost every other Rockford defenseman getting an NHL look last year.)

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Zawaski: “As we were hanging around practice yesterday talking to some people around the team saying that they really at this point don’t even see Ian Mitchell as an NHL player. Based on his lack of speed, lack of really being great offensively. He’s not good enough defensively to… I guess the point would be if you’re not going to come up and be a 50-point offensive defenseman, you can’t be as bad defensively as Mitchell is. So we’ll see. Maybe he didn’t have the realistic chance we thought he did based on a few conversations yesterday.”

@7:25 mark.

He certainly didn't show any tools or assets that looked NHL level when he was up last season.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I really think we need to see Ian Mitchell with the Blackhawks again before making a final judgment. He improved A LOT last year.
I don’t disagree (I’ve said he needs his chance to make it … or not) but at his age he is what he is. Much like Kalynuk looked good compared to those two years behind him in age/development Mitchell is in that same boat.
If Mitchell at D5 is a good AHLer - fringe NHLer that is likely what he is.
(My opinion) If he were really a top 4 level offensive D man NHLer he would have been driving much more offense than he did in Rockford.
This is a throwaway year so I can see him getting a shot but anyone who claims his defense is solid is lying. On a good team it’s more important for the 5-6-7 Dmen to keep the puck out of the net. So he’s either a 2nd pair guy bringing consistent offense or he’s gone. 3rd pair is not an option.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I don’t disagree (I’ve said he needs his chance to make it … or not) but at his age he is what he is. Much like Kalynuk looked good compared to those two years behind him in age/development Mitchell is in that same boat.
If Mitchell at D5 is a good AHLer - fringe NHLer that is likely what he is.
(My opinion) If he were really a top 4 level offensive D man NHLer he would have been driving much more offense than he did in Rockford.
This is a throwaway year so I can see him getting a shot but anyone who claims his defense is solid is lying. On a good team it’s more important for the 5-6-7 Dmen to keep the puck out of the net. So he’s either a 2nd pair guy bringing consistent offense or he’s gone. 3rd pair is not an option.

Eh, despite Reichel's impressive numbers, the 21-22 Rockford IceHogs were NOT an offensive team. They were perfectly happy winning 2-1, 3-2 games. They really focused on the defensive side of the game and preventing absolute blowouts (most of the time). I think that's why we saw such good progression from the likes of Mitchell, Phillips, and Slavin. They play more defensive minded games (or in the case of Mitchell - needed to work on his). That's also why Galvas didn't really stick out one way or the other. Cause that's just his game and he was a quietly effective presence on the back end.

Also, Kalynuk got WAYYYYYYY too much time on PP1 instead of Mitchy. and Regula was on PP2. So that's likely why his numbers weren't better.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Eh, despite Reichel's impressive numbers, the 21-22 Rockford IceHogs were NOT an offensive team. They were perfectly happy winning 2-1, 3-2 games. They really focused on the defensive side of the game and preventing absolute blowouts (most of the time). I think that's why we saw such good progression from the likes of Mitchell, Phillips, and Slavin. They play more defensive minded games (or in the case of Mitchell - needed to work on his). That's also why Galvas didn't really stick out one way or the other. Cause that's just his game and he was a quietly effective presence on the back end.

Also, Kalynuk got WAYYYYYYY too much time on PP1 instead of Mitchy. and Regula was on PP2. So that's likely why his numbers weren't better.
Kalynuk was older. In the boat then that “Mitchy” is in now. Was the last chance to see what he had.
I can see Regula being at least serviceable in his own end. Other than you and Musto nobody makes that claim about Mitchell.

LOL, have to question the impartiality. So it’s Mitchy but not Kaly/Kalser or Regy/Reguls?

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Kalynuk was older. In the boat then that “Mitchy” is in now. Was the last chance to see what he had.
I can see Regula being at least serviceable in his own end. Other than you and Musto nobody makes that claim about Mitchell.

LOL, have to question the impartiality. So it’s Mitchy but not Kaly/Kalser or Regy/Reguls?
We have two Mitchell's on the Hogs. It's how I differentiate them. Sorry?
I'm harder on my own players than teams I don't care about because I WANT them to be good. If I didn't think Mitchell improved, I wouldn't say he did.

I'm just here to give info about the IceHogs since I watch all the games and most people don't get to. But alright.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Again, I said he deserves a shot but Dmen who are weak defensively rarely turn that into a strength.
Sopel is probably an example of a guy who was at his best a lower level offensive 2nd pair who committed to defense convincing the Hawks to sign him.
He was older, more mature and recognized it was his only shot.
He did well enough to become a late game partner for Hammer so Campbell wouldn’t be counted on to protect leads.
Rockford (coaching?) might have done better by Mitchy to play him as a shut down guy. The object of the minors isn’t to win, it’s to develop talent to bring up to the show.

Reactions: Giovi

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
We have two Mitchell's on the Hogs. It's how I differentiate them. Sorry?
I'm harder on my own players than teams I don't care about because I WANT them to be good. If I didn't think Mitchell improved, I wouldn't say he did.

I'm just here to give info about the IceHogs since I watch all the games and most people don't get to. But alright.
What do you make of the Zawaski comment that apparently represents the views of a few from the organization? Are they improperly evaluating Mitchell/not representative of the player you saw?

Reactions: Giovi

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
What do you make of the Zawaski comment that apparently represents the views of a few from the organization? Are they improperly evaluating Mitchell/not representative of the player you saw?
I wouldn't say improperly evaluating him. Maybe just from watching him, they don't think he has the exact skills they're looking for. And that's fine. I just hope they give him one more look before making any final decisions.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Maybe this will stop the asinine “Duncan Kieth was a late bloomer” rebuttals with our d prospects going forward. Prospects show you who they are and what they’ve got very soon in their careers. They’re not perfectly refined NHLers right away but the talent or lack thereof is evident.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Maybe this will stop the asinine “Duncan Kieth was a late bloomer” rebuttals with our d prospects going forward. Prospects show you who they are and what they’ve got very soon in their careers. They’re not perfectly refined NHLers right away but the talent or lack thereof is evident.
Keith had a tough rookie year at age 22. Was better at 23 and a 1st pair worthy guy at 24.
Mitchy will be 24 in 3 months and just completed a decent AHL season.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Keith was special. Players like him come along very rarely.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad