I think I'm confused on something please help me understand.

Do you want us to add a big name player at the expense of Picks/Prospects?

• Total voters

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Leafs are 5th in the NHL in total points, which I think just on virtue alone makes us a contender, saying that contenders can do different things. Are fans wanting us to go all in and add a big name defenseman to give us the best chance of winning, or do people just want us to test the waters, go in with what we have and see what happens?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Yes but only make a deal if it makes sense. This is very subjective to what’s available and what the cost is.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Needs more middle ground. Would I trade Liljegren and a high pick for Tanev? No and I wouldnt trade either individually for Mike Green. But, if a legit number one D was on the market and those needed to be the cornerstones I absolutely would. There really isn’t a black and white clear answer to a nuanced question. I wouldn’t do a rick Nash type deal going all in.

Last edited:

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
I'D SAY SELL TOO....

J.V.R - Bozak - Brown
Komy - Moore - Kappy
----------------------------
Martin - Leivo

probably isn't much better than...

Brown - Plekanec - Kappy
Martin - Aaltonen - Leivo
---------------------------
Johnsson - Gauthier

but this man picks...

1st + 1st + 2nd + 3rd + 3rd + 4th + 5th

for JVR, Bozak, Komarov & Moore...is better than no picks.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I'D SAY SELL TOO....

J.V.R - Bozak - Brown
Komy - Moore - Kappy
Martin - Leivo

Brown - Plekanec - Kappy
Johnsson - Gauthier

but this man picks...

we're not getting all those picks for our pending ufa's

Reactions: francis246

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Historically there are a hundred clubs that have blasted into the top 5 and never amounted to anything. Having a great year doesn't mean a great playoff (see Sharks). Every club that makes the post season has a shot but one has to be realistic. Hope for the best and expect the worst. I would have a much different feeling is Matthews, Nylander and Marner had 70+pts and Boz was tearing it up like last year but that isn't it. You don't have to be cynical to think they aren't quite there.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

LilySmoov

May 14, 2011
I think the main reason people want us to chase a big name piece is, essentially, because there are big names available. Getting a #1D is phenomenally difficult and it's entirely plausible that we never get one with this group. But one is on the market right now and it might bite us if we don't push hard for him.

Key word being might, of course, but, well, that's the risk.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'D SAY SELL TOO....

J.V.R - Bozak - Brown
Komy - Moore - Kappy
Martin - Leivo

Brown - Plekanec - Kappy
Johnsson - Gauthier

but this man picks...

you have Brown on his off wing. Leivo or Martin would have to be in the 3rd line. The 2nd line-up is significantly worse than the top line-up when you factor in Plekanec is already our 4th line guy, not Moore. The question is actually this.

Leivo-Plekanec-Brown
Martin-Moore-Kapanen

Vs

JVR-Bozak-Brown
Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen

Trading JVR also does significant damage to our top PP. he’s one of the best net front power play presences in the league in regards to tipping pucks. Komarov is a reliable Pker. Special teams are vital in the playoffs.

Last edited:

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
I think Leafs has a chance to go far in the playoffs but the only UFA I think they should keep is JVR. Bozak and Komarov have both been bad this year so trade them.

I don't think we are ready to sell legit future pieces at this point for a Dman

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
you have Brown in his off wing. Leivo or Martin would have to be in the 3rd line. The 2nd line-up is significantly worse than the top line-up when you factor in Plekanec is already our 4th line guy, not Moore. The question is actually this.

Leivo-Plekanec-Brown
Martin-Moore-Kapanen

Vs

JVR-Bozak-Brown
Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen

Trading JVR also does significant damage to our top PP. he’s one of the best net front power play presences in the league in regards to tipping pucks. Komarov is a reliable PP. Special teams are vital in the playoffs.
K. PK. what you said is worse than a bomb going off

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Totally fine with keeping our UFA's past the deadline and getting a defenseman with term.

JVR, Bozak, Komarov, Plekanec get replaced by Kapanen, Aaltonen, Leivo, Grundstrom, Johnsson etc

I'm willing to bet we sign one or two of the pending UFA's above with the cap going up.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Guys...we have players we need to move no question. Leivo is wasting a spot so is Martin. We have a ton of wing depth if we need to call a guy up for an injury. We now have much better center depth with our trade today. The only question is what is the next move? Most of us know the answer is most likely a D but who?

Ian cole
Mike Green
Mcdonagh

Id rather D with term. Why? Because he can grow with our team. We probably arent winning this yr. So a rental like Green makes zero sense unless he resigns with us. We need someone to play with Dermott. Though he has regressed a bit of late but I think its cause Polak.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Middle ground for me perhaps? If there's a D we can add for a price we can afford to pay, that's a move I'd like to see occur.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
For me I look at a teams make up and their weaknesses. I think our biggest weakness is our defensive play is horrid. This goes for both forwards and defense. I think there are player issues defensively.

I remember when Babcock was in Detroit they'd routinely give up less than 20 shots - now I think they stifled offence to make a smothering defense, and perhaps that isn't possible with our current corp of players.

In the playoffs, which is all about match-ups and finding and exploiting weaknesses, I think any team can look at us and say:

"Pressure the D, they panic, give the puck up and cannot clear"

Not only that - we simply cannot win regularly against bigger forechecking teams as we suck on the boards.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
For me I look at a teams make up and their weaknesses. I think our biggest weakness is our defensive play is horrid. This goes for both forwards and defense. I think there are player issues defensively.

I remember when Babcock was in Detroit they'd routinely give up less than 20 shots - now I think they stifled offence to make a smothering defense, and perhaps that isn't possible with our current corp of players.

In the playoffs, which is all about match-ups and finding and exploiting weaknesses, I think any team can look at us and say:

"Pressure the D, they panic, give the puck up and cannot clear"

Not only that - we simply cannot win regularly against bigger forechecking teams as we suck on the boards.
Where the proof of this? Like how can you say that in such absolute. Take a look at their records against the west. Then look at their record against the bigger teams. This is like your nylander will not play a minute of center argument then to only move the goal post and still you were embarrassingly wrong. You see what happened there, you gotta stop speaking in such absolute man. Your gonna be wrong more often then not when you do. Especially when you have no affect on the outcome.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
If you look at teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago, the window for how long we can be elite isn't that small. I think the leafs should only be trying to get better in ways that won't jeopardize our future. If that isn't possible, then so be it. We're too young right now to be thinking short term.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yes depending on the player, depending on the price. Can’t see why any fan wouldn’t.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Sometimes I wonder whether some of us remember the actual objective of every NHL franchise.

Last edited:

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
If you look at teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago, the window for how long we can be elite isn't that small. I think the leafs should only be trying to get better in ways that won't jeopardize our future. If that isn't possible, then so be it. We're too young right now to be thinking short term.
Who cares about young. It's what management thinks where we are in terms of winning and to me they believe with this young lead team, they have a shot to make some noise. Not everything is black and white. You can make moves now and for the future. It's not either or, one or the other.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People on this board want us to give up on the year and get "Picks". We are not good enough! Ignore all the stats. We are not good enough!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad