I.Sorokin’s next contract

Would you give I.Sorokin (Goalie) NYI a 9.5 mil caphit next contract?

• Total voters

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I.Sorokin’s contract ends in 1.5 yrs. Assuming his level of play maintains course for the duration of the next 1.5 yrs, would you be comfortable giving him a 9.5 million caphit on his next contract? (I chose 9.5 mil caphit to match vasilevsky caphit).

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Giant goalie contracts rarely work out. Definitely not interested in that contract from 29-37.

Would rather trade him for a good cheaper goalie+ and use the cap somewhere else.

Reactions: centipede2233

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Some goalies are worth paying big money for because even a down season is still average or above. I think Sorokin is good enough to warrant it, but not for a long term deal past his mid 30s.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's hard to feel good about any goalie on a megadeal that takes them well into their 30s. It's just a real danger zone. So yeah, i'd be fine with Sorokin on a $9.5M deal on a shorter-term basis if that's what it takes. 4 years would be great. 5 acceptable. 6 really pushing it.

But realistically...it's probably going to take 6+ years and a "retirement contract" term. That's typically what seems to happen. And you'll be hoping and praying he hangs on as at least a competent starter as he nudges toward 40.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Huge Sorokin fan; would not give him $9.5 x 8. Maybe $9.5 x 4 or 5 but even that is pushing it. $9.5 for a position where one year a guy could be the best in the league and the next year he could be average is just too risky, no matter how good he is at his best or how much more likely he is than others to not fall to average. Look at Igor this year. Ideal contract for a guy like Sorokin to me is like $6 x 5, but if he wants to get paid and hit UFA he could probably easily get a team to offer more than that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Huge Sorokin fan; would not give him $9.5 x 8. Maybe $9.5 x 4 or 5 but even that is pushing it. $9.5 for a position where one year a guy could be the best in the league and the next year he could be average is just too risky, no matter how good he is at his best or how much more likely he is than others to not fall to average. Look at Igor this year. Ideal contract for a guy like Sorokin to me is like $6 x 5, but if he wants to get paid and hit UFA he could probably easily get a team to offer more than that.

I mean...i'd love to have a goaltender like Sorokin signed to a $6M x 5 deal too. :laugh:

Unfortunately, that's pretty much a delusional fever dream...when a guy like Jack Campbell hits the market at $5M x 5. There's a darn sight more than $1M difference in the quality and performance of those two netminders. :laugh:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I mean...i'd love to have a goaltender like Sorokin signed to a $6M x 5 deal too. :laugh:

Unfortunately, that's pretty much a delusional fever dream...when a guy like Jack Campbell hits the market at $5M x 5. There's a darn sight more than $1M difference in the quality and performance of those two netminders. :laugh:
Right I alluded to him obviously being able to get more than that. From my perspective that Campbell deal is absolutely terrible and was from the instant it was signed. Igor is getting under $6m for 4 years. Pretty much all the goalie contracts right now that are $6m or more AAV are absolutely terrible, only exception being Vasi. Teams will pay it so you likely have little choice unless you’d let Sorokin walk (which I wouldn’t, as I said I’d consider $9.5m by 4 years for him), but allocating that much cap space to 1 goalie long term just isn’t really a winning strategy. Vasi being the exception and that was made possible by the rest of the team being stacked with some value contracts there.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Right I alluded to him obviously being able to get more than that. From my perspective that Campbell deal is absolutely terrible and was from the instant it was signed. Igor is getting under $6m for 4 years. Pretty much all the goalie contracts right now that are $6m or more AAV are absolutely terrible, only exception being Vasi. Teams will pay it so you likely have little choice unless you’d let Sorokin walk (which I wouldn’t, as I said I’d consider $9.5m by 4 years for him), but allocating that much cap space to 1 goalie long term just isn’t really a winning strategy. Vasi being the exception and that was made possible by the rest of the team being stacked with some value contracts there.

I’ve typically been an advocate for not paying big for a goalie, but I think it can be a viable strategy when someone is as good as Sorokin or Shesterkin (who isn’t really a comparable currently as he’s on his second contract, same as Sorokin, and will need a new one only one year after Sorokin). Yea, it sucks if they have an off-season and you pay 9.5 for 5 million average goaltending, but if you pay 5 million for an average starter and he has a down year, now your whole season might be shot. So instead of a goalie 3-4 million overpaid, you now have 5 million in dead weight.

Reactions: biturbo19

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I look at carey price and bobrovsky as examples. both goaltenders performance during their current contracts have been horrible overall. One has a hart and vezina the other 2 vezina’s. As much as sorokin and shesterkin have looked amazing early on in the NHL, shesterkin and vasilevsky have not the best numbers this year. I think the most you go is 7.5-8 mil per on sorokin and if he wants more say good luck and find a cheaper goalie

Belmar Bandit

Nov 28, 2022
IMO, Sorokin is a Top-3 goalie with Shester and Vasi
Shestyorkin a top-3 goalie?

Damn try watching other teams play. Oettinger, Ullmark, Knight, Hellebuyck, etc

Hell, the Rags old backup in Georgiev looks 10x better than Shestyorkin this year

One season last year with unsustainable numbers doesnt mean shit for this season

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Hell, the Rags old backup in Georgiev looks 10x better than Shestyorkin this year

One season last year with unsustainable numbers doesnt mean shit for this season

Shesterkin turns 27 y/o soon. He has been a beast everywhere until now. 18 GP will not change my evaluation, sorry

I never said there was no other great goalies after these 3

I called it regarding Ullmark a few years ago by the way. Hellebuyck has always been elite as well.

Not sure what you're blablating about "try watching other teams"

What's even funnier is "IMO" was one of the 10 words I have used lol

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
He’s a stud right now. Lock him up on the 9.5 x 7-8 years. The cap will be well past $100 million by then and if the contract needed to be dealt with in 4-5 years worry about it at that time.

Reactions: WangMustGo

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

That’s a pretty funny description of a 72-33 0.926% career stats goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad