I love this team.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I've always loved this team.

It did start at the 90's thanks to those russians.

That russian way was the way I loved hockey to be played.

We had the success era. 3 Cups, 4 Cups as you want to count it. Everybody hated us.

There was the downfall.

Now this team is on a rise.

I clearly see is better times ahead, and...

Why don't you people like it... ?

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Liked them since yzerman was a rookie ... is this a competition? Lol

Who says people arent happy the wings are getting better again?? I just think this team only takes that cup contention next step when the kids start playing and are big factors . Most of the guys on the team now wont be here longterm

Anyways yes the redwings will be great again in 2-3 years

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Decades of success drives expectations. That and being chronically online makes people way too cranky about stuff that's just entertainment.

You see this in every fandom. People were passionate about Game of Thrones and then it went to shit and instead of just moving on with their lives and watching something they actually enjoy, people have been seething about it online for years. Or Star Wars. Or whatever stuff people inject into their lives as a replacement for having to cope with the slow decay of the Earth and the Sun eventually exploding.

So that's where we're at right now. The Wings were a Game of Thrones lightning in a bottle situation and people loved it, and then it got really bad. So there's a bunch of jaded fanboys who have spent a decade entertaining themselves with criticism and endless online debates, disparaging others from enjoying their time, rather than finding a new hobby and using their limited time on Earth for something positive.

Wait, I'm sorry, what was the question again?

PokeyTheCat

Jul 23, 2021
I'd, uh, also like to express MY fondness for this particular hockey team.

I have family from Chicago, so it was always Bears and Cubs growing up, then Blackhawks when I started getting into hockey. I remember seeing an interview with Fedorov during a 1995 or 1996 NHL on Fox broadcast and immediately became a fan. The transition was pretty easy with the Hawks starting to become kind of ass, but I'll always have a soft spot for Tony Amonte.

I think we all love this team, but the wear and tear of the lengthy stretch of subpar seasons is so grating, especially after being the gold standard for so long. Clearly some people here are more reasonable than others with expectations and what should or shouldn't be done, but ultimately everyone wants to see the team succeed.

Yzerman said it best in his presser today that Detroit isn't a "top, top team" right now who can afford to pay the cost for rentals. There's no point in mortgaging picks and prospects for a short-term fix on a team that's still more than a stone's throw away from being a true Cup contender.

In the end, it just seems like impatience and frustration that the team isn't nearly what they were during the glory days. The Wings are experiencing a modicum of success for the first time in a long time, and some people just want to immediately sprint towards that finish line.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Was pretty easy being born in Michigan. I remember getting a Fedorov autograph at a local little caesars. I loved that 90s team.

You still had some stingers tho, my dad was at the 94 game 7 against the Sharks. This dude still holds a grudge against Ozzie lol. Also the hurt after getting swept by New Jersey owe.

Sorry you got me thinking about why I love this team and a bunch of things just flooded. Hopefully one day we will see Bettman handing the cup over to Larkin.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
Wings have been my team since I was 4 or 5 years old, I was introduced to Mr. Hockey over 60 years ago (thanks Grand Dad) and never looked back, even after the trying period of Harkness...watching the next rebuild is awesome, enjoy the ride.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Steve Yzerman was the main reason I got into the Red Wings back in the day. I remember the article Mitch Albom wrote about spending a day with Yzerman, Barry Sanders, Cecil Fielder and Joe Dumars. Yzerman of course was the odd man out with hockey being the niche sport. He changed all that, and when Scotty Bowman thought about trading him to Ottawa the crowd at JLA let him know that wasn't an option.

After a hall of fame career, Yzerman got to work learning about running a front office. He was of course a quick study, but when Mike Ilitch asked Ken Holland to take the Develano promotion so Steve Yzerman could run the franchise, Holland rebuked them both.

No matter, Steve Yzerman took his talents to south Florida and turned a joke of a franchise into the best run team in the NHL. Marian Ilitch then asked the prodigal son to come back home and sure enough Steve Yzerman stepped aside in Tampa, allowing the team and front office he built to claim all the glory. While Yzerman left Tampa right before his work bore fruit, he got to work rebuilding an organization that was once the class of professional sports - this was before New England dominated the NFL - but had joined the Lions, Tigers and Pistons as some of the worst run franchises in all of professional sports.

He finally has the Red Wings on a steady, deliberate path towards competing for Stanley Cups in the reasonably near future. Does anyone here seriously doubt Steve f***king Yzerman?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I love this team. I grew up in Detroit. I’ve been a Lions fan when they were 0-16. A Tigers fan when they lost 120 games. A Pistons fan even this year. And a Wings fan. But being a fan I can still say they’re not close to contention. And they don’t have a lot of amazing pieces to get there today . But I do trust in Yzerman.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I came aboard right just before Fedorov came over I think the Pens won the cup back to back the first few seasons I watched back on Pass sports cable station :DD

I don't think I ever realized how spoiled we were in that era with the blank check system and Illich willing to spend.

I have to admit there was a time when I tuned out and could not muster any interest in the team was it around 2013? Like the 4th season in a row we resigned Cleary, even after he was released from the Philly tryout. It was bottom of the barrel hockey and trading down to pass on Chychrun was just the final straw. So many plugs terrible trades contract and the revolving door of vets playing their last season before retirement. What a total dumpster fire.

When Yzerman agreed to come in that was one of the happiest days I remember about being a fan and he is doing an amazing job. This wasn't an ordinary rebuild and it took an extra ordinary GM. Things are looking really really good again, but I knew it was only a matter of time once Yzerman came aboard..

Reactions: saska sault

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Decades of success drives expectations. That and being chronically online makes people way too cranky about stuff that's just entertainment.

You see this in every fandom. People were passionate about Game of Thrones and then it went to shit and instead of just moving on with their lives and watching something they actually enjoy, people have been seething about it online for years. Or Star Wars. Or whatever stuff people inject into their lives as a replacement for having to cope with the slow decay of the Earth and the Sun eventually exploding.

So that's where we're at right now. The Wings were a Game of Thrones lightning in a bottle situation and people loved it, and then it got really bad. So there's a bunch of jaded fanboys who have spent a decade entertaining themselves with criticism and endless online debates, disparaging others from enjoying their time, rather than finding a new hobby and using their limited time on Earth for something positive.

I think people enjoy more discussing hockey (trades, prospects, stats, deals...) than watching hockey.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I too love this team, been a fan for just over 20 years now. Yzerman was my gateway drug and I've been hooked since. Got really spoiled for my first 10 years of fandom and then the wheels fell off, but I'm looking forward to the next era of 'the glory years'.

On that note, I love you guys too. Not being a Detroit/Michigan local, it's hard to find people who want to talk about the Wings in depth where I live. So I really appreciate having a place to have these discussions with other Wings fans. From the thoughtful and realistic, to the mind-numbingly asinine and delusional, to the beating of long dead horses, it's all part of the charm. Thanks for the decade of debates, here's to many more.
:cheers:

Reactions: dalem177

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Been a fan since the 92/93 season when I started following the NHL. I got into it because of NHLPA Hockey on the Mega Drive. I already had a Red Wings cap, so of course I played with the Wings and that's how I started following them.

Living in Norway, it was hard to watch games. Nearly impossible. One or two live games a week on a Swedish channel, Femman, iirc, but all of the SC Finals were live. Had to check teletext before I left for school for results and box scores. Page 302-304 on SVT(I am sure those in Sweden can relate). Point leaders were updated once a week.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
so this thread is supposed to be used to "heal the sorrow" of another trade deadline collapse lol?

We're all supposed to hold hands and sing Kumbaya and reflect on the success that the team had nearly 20 years ago?

I keep tuning in every game, every season, but man being chained to disappointment and heartbreak every year takes a toll.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I've been a fan longer than I can remember. Allegedly my folks brought me to a couple games at the Olympia, but I was too young for that to register.

Last edited:

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
From a young age, even though my parents and I no longer lived in the Detroit area, I knew where I was from and did my very best to follow the team from a region that didn't get very many games. After all, the Flames had moved to Calgary mere months before my parents moved down here.

So for me, I didn't have a name or two to go on as players I liked and followed. I had whatever stories from out-of-market that appeared in the Sports section, a name, and a logo. So it's safe for me to say I loved this team from the moment I learned how to read

I guess, now that the history of my fandom is out there...

This team is frustrating in its current form, but it's a team I always have loved, and always will love. The team today is worlds ahead of where it was last season, the season before, etc. I think Lalonde is doing a decent job (note that I said decent, not perfect), and Stevie is clearly building for our future dominance in the league, not for a one-and-done CBJ-style playoff run where we're good for a couple seasons before sinking back to the bottom of the standings.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, I'm proud of the boys, and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can do in the offseason. But I still have hope for playoffs, and I still believe in the team. Even if they play like shit, I will always believe in them.

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
The WHC in Prague '85 was on free TV and made me an SY fan, later became a RW fan. It was tough to follow the NHL in the 80/90s, with only having a monthly hockey magazin.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Was pretty easy being born in Michigan. I remember getting a Fedorov autograph at a local little caesars. I loved that 90s team.

You still had some stingers tho, my dad was at the 94 game 7 against the Sharks. This dude still holds a grudge against Ozzie lol. Also the hurt after getting swept by New Jersey owe.

Sorry you got me thinking about why I love this team and a bunch of things just flooded. Hopefully one day we will see Bettman handing the cup over to Larkin.
Well, a commissioner. I’m not tied to Bettman being the one.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
In the 80es and early/mid 90es?
It was a joke, like my previous post where I said it was only retired people on the board. I also joked at my expense when I wrote that I am a true bandwagon fan.
I am very glad that there some people who have followed the team for so long and it is an honour for me that those posters share their opinions and experiences with us, specially us genuine bandwagon fans ;).

So I hope you will share your experiences from the old days with us.

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
So I hope you will share your experiences from the old days with us.
Not enough there, because of no TV broadcasts at the time.
The first title I could follow live on TV was the last and I did, even when the end of the game was 5 am in the morning and I have had to work at 7 am.

I can tell you how hockey catched me forever, it was January 80 I was under 10, my parents went skiing for a weekend and a 12 year old friend of my older brother asked me about going to the game. The result after each period was 4-2, 5-7, 9-7 that was a rollercoaster of emotions you never forget including the atmosphere in the arena.
First away game 4 years later alone with 1000 fans in a train, I tricked my parents and told them the father of a friend comes with us but I went alone. Really funny times.

Reactions: 14ari13

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4