I just got new skates. Do I need to have them sharpened?

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT
I'm not really sure what the blade is supposed to look like.

It's got a flat bottom like in this picture here
ES9S-big.jpg

Do I need to get them sharpened? Also they fit very well. Should I still have them baked?

Thank you in advanced!!

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
YES and YES.

Brand new skates are never sharpened. DO NOT go on the ice with them.
Brand new skates are also very stiff, and poorly form-fitted to your feet. Getting them baked will do wonders.

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT
YES and YES.

Brand new skates are never sharpened. DO NOT go on the ice with them.
Brand new skates are also very stiff, and poorly form-fitted to your feet. Getting them baked will do wonders.

Thanks. I'm gonna run over and have them done now. THANK You. :).

Also, I can't use em for 24 hours after I have them baked correct?

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Thanks. I'm gonna run over and have them done now. THANK You. :).

Also, I can't use em for 24 hours after I have them baked correct?
Correct. They may feel cool after an hour or two, but you should leave them for at least 24hrs before hitting the ice with them. I wouldn't expose them to very cold temperatures in that time either (just in case you get the urge to speed up the process by sticking them in the freezer)

Gunnar Stahl 30

...In The World!
Dec 9, 2006
Marty's Better
they have to be sharpened but you also need to tell them they are new. they sharpen new blades a different way. they have to use the cross grinder first

the skate should take a few hours to harden after its baked but i would wait a 24 hours

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Funny Story. I was new to ice hockey (had played roller for so long out here) and when I got my first pair they never were sharpened. My coach kept getting frustrated with me during side to side drills and asked to see my skates. Sure enough, they had never been sharpened. I didn't know any better but it sure as hell made it easier to skate when there is an actual edge to them. Oh, and I could stop now. :laugh:

DevsFan84

Jul 31, 2007
Did you buy them online or through a hockey shop? If the former, don't be surprised if you're told to pay a good amount for a first time sharpening and baking.

If the latter, then the shop should have offered a free sharpening and baking.

Around here, its a minimum of $50 for a first time sharpening and baking. One rink also charges $20 for a fitting on skates if you don't buy them there.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Around here, its a minimum of $50 for a first time sharpening and baking. One rink also charges $20 for a fitting on skates if you don't buy them there.

That's outrageous. You see this a lot with newer players though, people buy new skates and really have no idea what to do next. It's pretty crazy considering how much skates cost. Even if skates fit good out of the box I'll have them baked just in case. It shouldn't cost anything and it makes them even more comfortable as they mold to your feet. Next thing to do is find a particular edge you like and stick with it. Again, amazing at how many people just hand their skates to a sharpener and don't know what 1/2 inch means. I think maybe a 1 page tutorial should come with skates or something. I'd be willing to bet many player don't use the right edge and have no idea it would be easier if they did.

Kreider Luvs Goalies

May 31, 2009
Yeh u mine as well sharpen them and bake them
Hopefully they don't mess up your blade like they did to mine sharpening them and I couldn't even stand up straight =P
Posted via Mobile Device

FootKnight

This ****ing team
May 28, 2007
Baking is overrated. When I get new skates I just wear them around the house for a weekend. Sit around watching TV all day just wearing them. Plus doing a bit of free skate in them at least once during that weekend. Your feet will hurt a little and it may not be a quick as baking, but in my experience is a more sure option. I've never had problems with my skates and the last guy I knew who got his baked had bleeding blisters after the first time wearing them and couldn't skate for our game 3 days later. Could just be the way he did it though, but I find that just wearing them breaks them in fine.

What's up with this "bake"?

What is it?

They heat them up really hot to soften the boot up, then you put the skates on and they reform around your foot.

Hockeyfan68

Dec 24, 2006
Lewiston, ME USA
www.myspace.com
I got my skates baked and it saved tons of break in time, the newer skates HAVE to be baked or you will just be having problems like blisters and what have you.

Ask anyone here who uses them I am sure they will agree. The most important thing about any skate is fit so you can get the most out them in tight turns and skating in general.

If someone wants to break them in the old fashioned way by just wearing them a lot good luck, today's materials are NOT like the old leather and nylon materials.

blue line cretin

Jul 26, 2009
Oregon
I am in the early stages of learning to skate (at 24) but I bought the lowest end skates to give it a shot. They were about fifty bucks (85 with baking and sharpening). But I notice the the blades aren't nearly as flat as other skates, like the ts skates. I can skate and turn but I end up sticking when trying to stop. I've tried standing still in the snow plow position and pushing them out but for the life of me I can only get one skate to cut the ice. Was it just a crappy initial sharpening job or should I just work harder on weight transfer and balance?

blueberrydanish

May 5, 2009
Was it just a crappy initial sharpening job or should I just work harder on weight transfer and balance?
If they are catching too much you prob should just work more at it with what you said. Dont worry though itll come much easier with experience obviously

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I got my skates baked and it saved tons of break in time, the newer skates HAVE to be baked or you will just be having problems like blisters and what have you.

Ask anyone here who uses them I am sure they will agree. The most important thing about any skate is fit so you can get the most out them in tight turns and skating in general.

If someone wants to break them in the old fashioned way by just wearing them a lot good luck, today's materials are NOT like the old leather and nylon materials.

I never had my skates baked, cuz i bought them used at a Play it Again, it seems that older materials DO fit better without baking

Another tip for sharpening: ALWAYS sharpen at a rink or trusted sports store, anywhere else and you can expect poor results. For some reason i sharpened mine at a Food Basics supermarket and the indent on the bottom of the blade was very deep. needless to say, i couldn;t stop properly

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I never had my skates baked, cuz i bought them used at a Play it Again, it seems that older materials DO fit better without baking

Another tip for sharpening: ALWAYS sharpen at a rink or trusted sports store, anywhere else and you can expect poor results. For some reason i sharpened mine at a Food Basics supermarket and the indent on the bottom of the blade was very deep. needless to say, i couldn;t stop properly

Yes, once you find a place to sharpen your skates stick to that place only. I used to get mine done wherever and would get random edges, kind of ruins your league games when your left skate has no edge. Very cool that you can get your skates sharpened at a supermarket. Love to see you try that down here in SoCal.

LilWinger11

Aug 27, 2006
Connecticut
I am in the early stages of learning to skate (at 24) but I bought the lowest end skates to give it a shot. They were about fifty bucks (85 with baking and sharpening). But I notice the the blades aren't nearly as flat as other skates, like the ts skates. I can skate and turn but I end up sticking when trying to stop. I've tried standing still in the snow plow position and pushing them out but for the life of me I can only get one skate to cut the ice. Was it just a crappy initial sharpening job or should I just work harder on weight transfer and balance?

Hard to say. New skaters often have problems like what you're describing on newly sharpened skates. You should find that it gets better after you've skated on them a few more times, both because the sharpness of your edges will decrease and your skill with be improving.

It is normal, btw, for stopping to be easier on one foot than the other, and some people do find stopping with one foot easier than stopping with both. That will get better with practice.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hard to say. New skaters often have problems like what you're describing on newly sharpened skates. You should find that it gets better after you've skated on them a few more times, both because the sharpness of your edges will decrease and your skill with be improving.

It is normal, btw, for stopping to be easier on one foot than the other, and some people do find stopping with one foot easier than stopping with both. That will get better with practice.

I can only stop on my right foot, and wont even try on the other one, which makes selecting a wing position interesting at times

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad