I have a question for you hockey players.

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by nic29+, Jan 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nic29+

nic29+ Registered User

Store Owner
    Home Page:
    When you go onto or off of the ice, is there always little kids standing by the door to pat you on the back?

2. Aaron Vickers

Aaron Vickers FC Hockey

Home Page:
    Not anymore.

Little bugger upped his price to $10 a game.

3. nic29+

nic29+ Registered User

Store Owner
    Home Page:

LOL.

I was just curious because where I live there are about 5 or 6 little kids that stand at the door at every intermission to pat the guys on the back when they come off the ice and again when they go back on. So when the players are going back onto the ice for the 3rd period they always give one of the kids a stick of theirs. It's usually a broken stick (just cracked so it still looks good) and the kids love it. My son is one of those kids and it seems like the players love it just as much as the kids do. Just thought I'd give you guys some ideas. ;)

4. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

It all depends on the arena. Some of the larger places theres almost no contact from fans to players. Some others though, the players need to walk from the bench to the locker rooms in the same walkway the fans use. In these places kids will always be there.

5. nic29+

nic29+ Registered User

Store Owner
    Home Page:

Well in those arena's where there are kids, give them a stick and make their day.

6. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

lol I never gave them a stick. I'm sorry, you can call me the grinch, but $170 a stick while going to high school was a bit to give away. If the kids stuck their hand out, i'd touch their hand with my glove on the way to the lockerroom.

7. nic29+

nic29+ Registered User

Store Owner
    Home Page:
    Not one of your good sticks. If a blade happened to get cracked or something but the stick still looks good give them that one. Instead of throwing it away. Or if someone else has a stick they are throwing away take that one.

8. In college, we'd have little kids waiting for autographs in the lobby...or the supermarket...or anywhere else in town any athlete went and were noticed. But I'm sure they would have been patting us on the back as well had we been more accessible. I've never seen anything like it elsewhere though.

9. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Habs

When I played senior hockey, and people actually came to watch us play, there were kids all over the exit door from the the rink to the dressing room.....slapping us on the back, kicking my pads - It was kinda cool actually.

Now no one watches us except for the odd guy's wife/girlfriend. :lol

10. Keetz

Keetz Registered User

yeah beer leaguers are lucky if the refs watch.

11. IkeaMonkey*

IkeaMonkey* Guest

Most sticks are still usable if the blade breaks :x.

12. I played in Neebing Minor Hockey League as a kid. It was a tight knit group and there was always a group of players there to give a pat on the back or a high five as teams came on or left the ice. Two notable grads of Neebing minor are Brent Peterson formerly of the Tampa Bay Lightning and Greg Lotsyz who was a practice squad player on the New York Jets (most famous for suing the Jets, the Giants and a mess of doctors for botching his knee surgery, leaving him needing a cane at the age of 26 just to get around.)

13. Toonces

Toonces The beer kitty

Production
    :lol

So true.

To answer the origional question, yes nic, there are usually little kids that hang around the rink and pat us on the backs like you described. I play for a no-name school (hockey wise), but they still do it.

I always assumed it was the little brother(s) of some of the guys, but perhaps not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.