I Hate The Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
You obviously are missing the pre-text for that conspiracy theory.
It's actually quite simple, and contrary to rebuttal arguments, does have merit.
You see, Edmonton is a Canadian market, attempts to strengthen Canadian markets in the absence of American markets success is actually a sound foundation.

Ask yourself this......

Why is the lottery pull held in secret, behind closed doors?
If there is nothing to hide, bring it forth for the public to view.....

It's not held in secret. And ooh look here! Public!

Actually, yes there is merit. Please respond within the context of the post. Its a THEORY some believe in.

And some people believe that man never went to the moon all evidence be damned. Their erroneous belief doesn't lend merit to it.

Reactions: Curufinwe

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The NHl would never risk ruining all their credibility over a fixed lottery. I am quite stunned people are arguing Edmonton was a fix. Edmonton? What?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
The NHl would never risk ruining all their credibility over a fixed lottery. I am quite stunned people are arguing Edmonton was a fix. Edmonton? What?

That's why it's called a lottery because it's a gamble.Too bad the Oilers have a clown as their GM.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I think they should just restrict teams from picking high (top 5) a bit. If a team drafts in the top 5, the next season they drop 1 spot in the draft order. Maybe this is too far, and they should only do this with 1st overalls, idk.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010

Not sure that I am buying what he is selling. I'll have to give it a few additional viewings. My first impulse is to say that he is full of shit but to be fair I need to think about it. I take a very dim view overall of stats that are now applied to hockey.

I see that you are a financial advisor. You may have already read this guy but if not you might find he holds a lot of interest for you. Especially Thinking, Fast and slow by Daniel Kahneman.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Mind you, I hate the entire system, but a draft lottery is much better than straight up handing magic beans to the basement dweller because management is run by dummies

Be bad for a couple of years? That happens and the picks will help a well managed team get back on their feet. It's the fact that when a team doesn't progress anywhere with said picks is a problem.

Nashville didn't tank and is now one of the best teams in the Central. In the past 10 years, they only missed the playoffs 3 times and now assembled a hell of a team that is mostly developed from within. Picked top 5 (Seth Jones) once and traded Seth Jones for RyJo and a fat load of good it did the Columbus "0 playoff series wins in 17 years" Blue Jackets

Only exceptions:
PK Subban, Nick Bonino, Matt Irwin, Alexei Emelin, Yannnick Weber, Calle Jarnkrok, Filip Forsberg, Kyle Turris, Ryan Johansson
16/25 were home grown. And now the Preds Eeli Tolvanen up and coming too

tl;dr What's the excuse for being stuck in the basement for x amount of years in a row? None. Stop Tanking.

McMajorTom

Feb 21, 2018
What's the excuse for being stuck in the basement for x amount of years in a row? None. Stop Tanking.

Nashville actually has an owner who lets the very experienced general manager do what he needs to do to build a winner.

When I look at the teams most often associated with the draft lottery, I don't see that. That's what the real problem is. So sure, reform the draft system all you want, but don't be surprised when the same few faces keep showing up time and time again.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
So do I.
The main argument for the salary cap is that small market teams will be disadvantaged, which I do think is a slightly better argument than the argument for rewarding teams for playing poorly. But imo if a team is that small of a market they're either not performing or there isn't much of a demand from the fans for hockey there, and another city would be far more happy to have that team.
Take out the salary cap and draft lottery and suddenly theres gonna be less than 5 teams that can actually win the cup. Big market teams with deep pockets will get all the players (Toronto), while basement teams will never get better cause they can't improve through the draft.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
People realize that not all 31 teams can be in the playoffs consistently right?
Mind you, I hate the entire system, but a draft lottery is much better than straight up handing magic beans to the basement dweller because management is run by dummies

Be bad for a couple of years? That happens and the picks will help a well managed team get back on their feet. It's the fact that when a team doesn't progress anywhere with said picks is a problem.

Nashville didn't tank and is now one of the best teams in the Central. In the past 10 years, they only missed the playoffs 3 times and now assembled a hell of a team that is mostly developed from within. Picked top 5 (Seth Jones) once and traded Seth Jones for RyJo and a fat load of good it did the Columbus "0 playoff series wins in 17 years" Blue Jackets

Only exceptions:
PK Subban, Nick Bonino, Matt Irwin, Alexei Emelin, Yannnick Weber, Calle Jarnkrok, Filip Forsberg, Kyle Turris, Ryan Johansson
16/25 were home grown. And now the Preds Eeli Tolvanen up and coming too

tl;dr What's the excuse for being stuck in the basement for x amount of years in a row? None. Stop Tanking.

Even if all teams were run evenly well, someone is going to end up in the basement for streaks. That's how Poisson distributions work.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
People realize that not all 31 teams can be in the playoffs consistently right?

Even if all teams were run evenly well, someone is going to end up in the basement for streaks. That's how Poisson distributions work.
Yep. 31 team tie at the end of every season! Didn't you know?!?

And I think the people who think being in the bottom of the league and getting a high draft pick is some kind of "reward", is the problem. Those are the people who think drafting first overall > winning games/winning the stanley cup, not the people who are going through the losing and drafting first overall. That's the misconception here IMO.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Take out the salary cap and draft lottery and suddenly theres gonna be less than 5 teams that can actually win the cup. Big market teams with deep pockets will get all the players (Toronto), while basement teams will never get better cause they can't improve through the draft.
Look at the standings & cup winners before the salary cap was enacted please
Posts like these are so ignorant to the history of hockey

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Yep. 31 team tie at the end of every season! Didn't you know?!?

And I think the people who think being in the bottom of the league and getting a high draft pick is some kind of "reward", is the problem. Those are the people who think drafting first overall > winning games/winning the stanley cup, not the people who are going through the losing and drafting first overall. That's the misconception here IMO.

The curious thing about these people is that none of them are actually fans of basement dwellers. It's almost like they have no perspective.

They simply want to have their cake without having to suffer for it.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Look at the standings & cup winners before the salary cap was enacted please
Posts like these are so ignorant to the history of hockey
The league is very different from back then. Don't tell me the likes of Doughty, Stamkos, Seguin and all the other Ontario boys wouldnt jump ship if they could get paid whatever they want in Toronto. We'd see super teams just like the NBA, while small market teams couldnt attract big payroll players.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The league is very different from back then. Don't tell me the likes of Doughty, Stamkos, Seguin and all the other Ontario boys wouldnt jump ship if they could get paid whatever they want in Toronto. We'd see super teams just like the NBA, while small market teams couldnt attract big payroll players.
The NHL has pretty much always been dominated by Ontario boys lol, and a lot of players don’t like the spotlight hence why they want to play in smaller markets. A lot of players want to live somewhere with warmer weather, there are many variables. The system we have keeps bad teams in a perpetual state of failure, look at Arizona, Edmonton & Buffalo. The same bottom 3 as the year of the McDavid draft lol. Arizona faired better when there was no salary cap

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The NHL has pretty much always been dominated by Ontario boys lol, and a lot of players don’t like the spotlight hence why they want to play in smaller markets. A lot of players want to live somewhere with warmer weather, there are many variables. The system we have keeps bad teams in a perpetual state of failure, look at Arizona, Edmonton & Buffalo. The same bottom 3 as the year of the McDavid draft lol. Arizona faired better when there was no salary cap

Arizona, Edmonton, and Buffalo keep themselves in the basement by being run like a clown car. It's not the system dragging them down.

Meanwhile, the system allows teams like San Jose and Anaheim to remain consistently competitive despite limited financial resources and no top picks because they're well managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad