Pre-Game Talk: I’ll Wait: Sens in YEG @ 8pm Jan 6 2024 on HNIC

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
haha Awesome combo.
Damn your family goes way way back! Sorry for the loss of your pops.

I was born in Poland, so that's all you need to know on how I feel about Russkis. :skull:

Thanks!

My uncle on my dads side traced family back to the 1500’s in northern Switzerland where our branch of the Mennonites started. My moms uncle traced family to eastern Holland/western Germany in the early 1800’s where some of the Swiss Mennonites went.

Then to Gdańsk (Danzig) so I guess you could say I’m Polish too LOL. From there to Ukraine.

Love Poland, been just once but toured around with my eldest son for 2 weeks about 12 years ago and loved it. Great people, food, history and culture. What city are you from?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I agree that these next 10 games are going to say a lot about where the team ends up. But I don't think that there schedule beyond that is all that tough. They have a fair number of softer games for pretty much the rest of the year.
The bigger concern is how compact it is. On average, the Oilers will have a game every 1.95 days post break, where the league average over the season is around 2.35 meaning they'll have almost an entire half day less between games than average.

Also of note, they have 4 games vs. the bottom five in the next two weeks, but only 5 the rest of the year, but they have quite a bit vs. the teams not in a playoff spot that aren't bottom 5.

Interestingly they have played exactly half of their games vs. the teams currently in the top 10 overall.

Last edited:

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Love Poland, been just once but toured around with my eldest son for 2 weeks about 12 years ago and loved it. Great people, food, history and culture. What city are you from?
I'm from Polkowice.
Small town on the south western part.

I came to Edmonton in 1988 though, been back a few times though. Still feels like a home away from home. Always has this special feeling haha I'm glad you enjoyed it, did you visit Krakow? Best city IMO. Since you can walk around town, go to Auschwitz or the Wieliczka Salt Mine as well.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I'm from Polkowice.

I came to Edmonton in 1988 though, been back a few times though. Still feels like a home away from home. Always has this special feeling haha I'm glad you enjoyed it, did you visit Krakow? Best city IMO. Since you can walk around town, go to Auschwitz or the Wieliczka Salt Mine as well.
Wow cool. My Mom and her family came to Canada in 1940 from Poland. They lived In the Kielce area. Is that close to where are from?

and I apologize, I know little about the geography of Poland. But I know I love my mom’s cooking (and still do). Xmas is always “heaven”.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I'm from Polkowice.

Very nice, just looked it up on Google Maps.

Was in Krakow yes and LOVED it! Went to Auschwitz and the Salt Mine too!

• Love
Reactions: Coffey

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm from Polkowice.

I got a buddy from NS who lives in Gdansk now. Met a girl on Oil Rigs and moved there. He likes it there. Only problem is they are very close to Russia so people r kinda on edge .

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Wow cool. My Mom and her family came to Canada in 1940 from Poland. They lived In the Kielce area. Is that close to where are from?

and I apologize, I know little about the geography of Poland. But I know I love my mom’s cooking (and still do). Xmas is always “heaven”.
Polish food on xmas definitely has a special place in my heart, I hear ya.
And they are not too close at all LOL

1704499998951.png

Very nice, just looked it up on Google Maps.

Was in Krakow yes and LOVED it! Went to Auschwitz and the Salt Mine too!
That's awesome. Glad you got to experience it. I believe everyone should visit the camps once in their lives just to experience it.
I got a buddy from NS who lives in Gdansk now. Met a girl on Oil Rigs and moved there. He likes it there. Only problem is they are very close to Russia so people r kinda on edge .
Russians won't do shit.
I know I shit on America a lot, but they got Canada and Poland's back so there should be no worries.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That was a very good time to leave Poland.
That’s why they left. Grampa Joe was very concerned about what he was seeing years earlier and actually had come 7 years earlier. He had to work on a farm in Sask to earn enough $$ to pay for the rest of his family and wife to come here. Can you imagine being away from your entire family for 7 years pre internet and air travel? Committed.

Polish food on xmas definitely has a special place in my heart, I hear ya.
And they are not too close at all LOL

View attachment 796835
Oh ya thats like Edmonton to Winnipeg(spits). :)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Been there as well, nice place. We visited Stutthof, a former Concentration Camp east of town there. Gdańsk is near the enclave of Kaliningrad, formerly known as Prussia. The Russians took that area for its own post WW2 and expelled the Germans in 1945/6. (Russian MO…)

Reactions: Coffey

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That's awesome. Glad you got to experience it. I believe everyone should visit the camps once in their lives just to experience it.

Agree. It should be high school curriculum to visit.

I plan on visiting the other 5 death camp sites too one day in Poland. I’m an amateur historian with keen interest in the interwar period, the rise of nazism in Germany and the Holocaust. Visited many of the concentration camp sites in Europe and Germany too.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
@5 Mins 4 Ftg @Silver Coffey I wanted to support the Polish and Ukrainian brethren here in the thread. Heres my favorite Pole.

1704502731875.png

Not sure what it is but Polish women really tend to turn my head. British or Polish. If my family had stayed in Germany I'd probably have married a Polish girl. Love the food, culture, people. I can handle this one too. wowsa.. One of my favorite DJ sets. Beautiful setting.;)

FF to some Ukrainian culture as well. Love the food, love the woman. Theres a theme here occurring..I've had a few Ukrainian GF before marriage as well. I seemed pretty partial to them. heh. Still the best DJ set I've seen. Ukrainian, Korolova.

Another favorite Ukrainian:

Women and song, not sure about the wines.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
My maternal great grandparents were from Ukraine.

When I was in tomb thumb hockey in the mid 80s, before a practice he was driving me to, Grampa told me: ‘Eat your borscht…Wayne Gretzky has two bowls before every game.’
I eat so much home made borscht I pee red. Just love it. One of the the things I love from different cuisines is picking out different ethnic dishes that are healthy and good fuel for the body. Love learning how to prepare different foods and, well, eating them. I would never have had trouble finishing off any Borscht and I'd want seconds.. But I was no Wayne Gretzky.. Eating Prostars didn't work either..;)

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agree. It should be high school curriculum to visit.

I plan on visiting the other 5 death camp sites too one day in Poland. I’m an amateur historian with keen interest in the interwar period, the rise of nazism in Germany and the Holocaust. Visited many of the concentration camp sites in Europe and Germany too.
We both probably have whole book shelves on the matter. Of course I have a lot of first hand information on the matter too from my parents.

Freedom is so fleeting.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I cant figure out the Sens. They have some great defence, great offensive players and some vets. Not sure what’s up.
They
I feel the same way about how close I live to Milton. Some tough characters up there

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad