Hypothetical Rebuild: Would you Trade our Golden Idols!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Absolutely. It is unfortunate when long tenured Captains have to spend their last season with a different team over contract squabbles.

Alfie wanted a cup, and he knew it wasn't happening in Ottawa. Modano wanted to play for his home team and the Wings were still contenders at the time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd trade Datsyuk as pending UFA if we are 100% out of the playoffs and it's quaranteed he signs back at the next summer.

Last edited:

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Kronner anytime. But it would kill me to see D of Z sporting any other teams jersey. They are Red Wings for life.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I have no issue trading Z or D if they were OK with it.

I have no issue trading anyone on this roster.

Larkin?

And I will say that it's too late to trade Datsyuk or Zetterberg now. There's too much emotional value in their loyalty to the Wings to trade them for what you get now for them when basically everyone and their dog knows they're approaching the end. If one was open to trading them, it should have happened two years ago or so when teams would still have been interested in them as #1 centers rather than 'veterans who can play a role on a contender'.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
All three captains are untouchable and will not be traded. The experience, leadership, and organizational continuity they provide is too valuable, whether we're missing the playoffs or not. Trading them would be short-sighted. Larkin, Athanasiou, Mantha, and Svechnikov will gain far more by playing with those three as their leaders than they will with Abdelkader, Helm, and Ericsson.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
It would be a favor to them if they want it. They've both won a Cup/Cups and been on other teams that were favorites for and could have won other Cups. Nothing like Bourque being on the Bruins who never won a thing while he was there.

And morally right? These guys are under contract. The team doesn't owe them a shot at the Cup with someone else.

Don't want to give up a couple of years of watching the Magic Man for maybe a late first and an okay prospect.

Obviously I'm talking if they want to. Holland should sit down with each of them and ask them what they want. They gave us all they could so we should give them what they want, plus the picks would benefit us. Now if they want to stay, perfect

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
After tonight's humiliating loss we definitely need a major upgrade on D, Dangle one of either Nyquist/Tatar for Sami Vatanen or Kevin Shattenkirk this summer but any ways Holland has his work cutout for him this summer.

utvolsfan

Oct 24, 2015
I'd trade Datsyuk as pending UFA if we are 100% out of the playoffs and it's quaranteed he signs back at the next summer.

I agree with dealing Dats, but I would not resign him in the off season. You're talking about a guy who will be even older and the skills will be further deteriorated.

I would be willing to deal anyone that has started the downhill slide

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I agree with dealing Dats, but I would not resign him in the off season. You're talking about a guy who will be even older and the skills will be further deteriorated.

I would be willing to deal anyone that has started the downhill slide

I think Larkin et al. could still learn a tonne From Datysuk and hank.

Does this not count for anything?

utvolsfan

Oct 24, 2015
I think Larkin et al. could still learn a tonne From Datysuk and hank.

Does this not count for anything?

Sure it does. But sometimes one can be to loyal to a player and allow the skills to get too bad before moving on from said player. Granted their skills are not to that point yet, but you can see in flashes that they are going the wrong way and quickly.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Its a hindrance but its not the end of the world. A young team like Edmonton, Buffalo, or Arizona would love to have a locker room presence like Zetterberg.

True but I don't think he'd want to go to Edmonton and I don't see Holland forcing him. I think a place like St. Louis or Nashville would be a good fit because he could be the piece to put them over the top but they have enough talent to shelter him so he's not gassed by game 60.

However he's got 4 more years on contract and if he retires early (IMO would be very likely if traded but I could see him play out/ LTIRetire with us) the wings will be hit with a recapture penalty ranging from 2+ mil to 5+mil for a few years.

His recapture penalty breaks down like this, if he retires after this season its around 2.1mil on the books for 5 years. If he retires after next season its around 3 mil for 4 years. The year after its 4.3mil for 3 years, and after that its 5.083 for 2 years.

source: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...e-cap-hit-recapture-what-it-means-for-the-red

That is one of the many reasons he won't be traded unless he absolutely demands it maybe not even then.

gobbluth

Jan 31, 2015
Z/D should not and wont be traded. Detroit could get decent value from tatar or nyquist. Although Z and D's role in the team should get looked at.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
True but I don't think he'd want to go to Edmonton and I don't see Holland forcing him. I think a place like St. Louis or Nashville would be a good fit because he could be the piece to put them over the top but they have enough talent to shelter him so he's not gassed by game 60.

However he's got 4 more years on contract and if he retires early (IMO would be very likely if traded but I could see him play out/ LTIRetire with us) the wings will be hit with a recapture penalty ranging from 2+ mil to 5+mil for a few years.

His recapture penalty breaks down like this, if he retires after this season its around 2.1mil on the books for 5 years. If he retires after next season its around 3 mil for 4 years. The year after its 4.3mil for 3 years, and after that its 5.083 for 2 years.

source: http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/20...e-cap-hit-recapture-what-it-means-for-the-red

That is one of the many reasons he won't be traded unless he absolutely demands it maybe not even then.

Oh I in no means want to trade Zetterberg, was just pointing out to another poster that he does have value even with his contract.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I think Pavel could fetch a 1st IMO. He's still very good. Not like his old self-but solid enough to put a cup contender over the edge.

But no. I don't think we should trade them. If they wanted out they probably would've asked to be traded for another cup attempt.

Their leadership and mentorship is way more impactiful here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad