Hypothetical Rebuild: Would you Trade our Golden Idols!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Lets say we miss the playoffs this year, and then the following things happen:

Richards // Helm not resigned, or traded for negotiating rights at just before the draft for 5th/6th rounders.

Detroit then doesn't sign any UFA's. And starts committing to more youth:

At the 2016-2017 Trade deadline... It's clear Detroit is going to miss the playoffs for a 2nd year running. And our "short rebuild" (short because we already have Nyquist, Tatar, Larkin, Mrazek) for 1-2 years begins.

At this point if all these things come to pass...

Would you be willing to Trade Zetterberg, Datsyuk and / or Kronwall
for 1st and or 2nd round picks for the 2017/2018 Draft?

How important is it that Z and D retire as red wings???

I ask this question because there is a part of me that kind of wants them to be Red Wings for life, even if we lose out on some picks. But maybe if we are missing the playoffs, trading them would be a favor. Who knows.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If Z/D wanted to go to a team with a shot at another cup I'd do it. Otherwise, certain players have earned the right not to be traded. Those two have definitely done that. And I don't think they'd get the kind of return that would make trading or not trading a huge deal. Neither are going to get a 1st overall. Hell maybe not even a top5 pick. We're already seeing their regression this season I don't expect them to rebound next year. Other teams will see that.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
If Z/D wanted to go to a team with a shot at another cup I'd do it. Otherwise, certain players have earned the right not to be traded. Those two have definitely done that. And I don't think they'd get the kind of return that would make trading or not trading a huge deal. Neither are going to get a 1st overall. Hell maybe not even a top5 pick. We're already seeing their regression this season I don't expect them to rebound next year. Other teams will see that.

Basically I would expect this return:

1st round pick (Likely late First); + Really good Prospect (A-/B+) And if the prospect isnt that good, another conditional pick (Something like the Ladd Return).

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'd trade kronwall for good prospects. Depends where in the 1st round

Dats and z are a no

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Datsyuk has a NMC and for obvious reasons isn't going any where.

Zetterberg doesn't have a NTC/NMC So at any time Holland could trade him and he would've no say. Not that Holland would do it.

Krowall has a NTC and isn't going any where, I don't see Holland asking him to waive it and Kronwall will retire a Red Wing in another 3 years or so.

And for Obvious reason, I don't see Helm Richards or Quincey back should've gotten picks for them at the trade deadline so see either those 3 making or breaking us being in the playoffs or not.

I would be for trading Zetterberg if it meant that we could get Stamkos on a long term deal around $9M-$10M per fo 7 years or so. Zetterberg is on his last leg and Stamkos is like 10 years younger and Larkin and Stamkos and Athanasiou down the middle would be pretty solid.r

Start building the team around Larkin, Mrazek and Dekeyser, Holland should be looking at upgrading the D big time this summer. Vatanen, Shattenkirk, Trouba maybe Fowler all could be available Holland needs to look at one of them. This team really needs to be building up the D that's for sure. Mrazek will be fine even the best Goalies from time to time have bad games.

This team has lots of work to do during this summer, Like i say we need to upgrade the D big time here listening Ken Holland. The cap could be an issue depends on what we've to spend could take a bit just to resign our RFAs DeKeyser, Mrazek, Sheahan, Marchenko and Pulkkinen will all need new deals.

All and all this could be an interesting summer for Holland.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands

+1

Really not much to add than this. Of the 3 that would bring in the most only Zetterberg doesn't have a NTC/NMC.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Only if they requested it. Z & D have earned the right to choose whether they stay or go.

Kronner could be dealt, but I see no real benefit in doing so. I mean he gets paid basically 2nd pairing rate, and at worst he is basically that. Plus I think he is one of the big leaders in the locker room.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Who would take Zetterbergs awful contract though? He definitely is retiring before it is up

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Not really. Trade them for a late 1st? Around 27th or 30th overall? So trading away HOF players who deserve to have their numbers retired for the chance to draft another Brendan Smith or Tom McCollum? How exciting!

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If Dats or Kronwall wanted another chance at a cup I'd happily do it. As Holland I'd even try to convince them to give it a last shot. I'd hope for a late first and a decent prospect for either of them.

Z has too much risk because of cap recapture penalties. He needs to stay and LTIR. Also he's the captain and I think trading him would be much more damaging symbolically than Dats and Kronner.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I believe Kronwall has to give 10 teams to whom he'd like to be traded if asked. And I would trade him without hesitation. He's been so bad this season that when he was injured it had pretty much no impact on this team.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Who would take Zetterbergs awful contract though? He definitely is retiring before it is up

BTW even if he did retire early. The Red Wings (the ones you wrote the contract) would pay the cap recapture penalty)

I.E. its not a factor the team acquiring Z to consider this as a factor.

Overall I am not seeing much support for a trade of any of our top 3.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
No.

Having both won Cups, I don't think they'd feel the need to leave for that reason. I think they're comfortable here, it's the only NHL team they've ever known. And the Wings seem like a real tight-knit organization as far as families go.

And from the team's perspective, I consider the Wings 'lifers' an important part of the organization's prestige, spirit, and legacy. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, before them Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Yzerman, etc.

And the return wouldn't even be great at this point. Datsyuk's in the twilight of his career and Zetterberg's decline and contract make him a hard sell.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I won't cry if they do it, but at this point you need to leave the decision up to them. I don't, however, think Kenny will do it. The Wings will soon be in the busienss of selling nestalgia. Moving those three will hurt that business.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
BTW even if he did retire early. The Red Wings (the ones you wrote the contract) would pay the cap recapture penalty)

I.E. its not a factor the team acquiring Z to consider this as a factor.

Overall I am not seeing much support for a trade of any of our top 3.

Oh alright. Didn't know the penalty worked like that. We could definitely move him then, if everyone wanted it to be done. Ain't happening though.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
When fans want one of their own traded, they overestimate what they will get back for them. I don't see getting enough to make it worth going against how the Wings have operated for the last 20 years. When I think of players like Modano and Alfredsson, I think it's a shame they didn't spend their entire careers with their respective teams.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
When I think of players like Modano and Alfredsson, I think it's a shame they didn't spend their entire careers with their respective teams.

Absolutely. It is unfortunate when long tenured Captains have to spend their last season with a different team over contract squabbles.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Like others have said, it would be completely up to them. Having them on a rebuilding team in a diminished capacity could be beneficial. They can serve as role models and teachers for the young players.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Sending them do a contender would be doing them a favor. Think Ray bourque, I would see it as more morally right than keeping them

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Sending them do a contender would be doing them a favor. Think Ray bourque, I would see it as more morally right than keeping them

It would be a favor to them if they want it. They've both won a Cup/Cups and been on other teams that were favorites for and could have won other Cups. Nothing like Bourque being on the Bruins who never won a thing while he was there.

And morally right? These guys are under contract. The team doesn't owe them a shot at the Cup with someone else.

I would trade D to Washington. He will easily put them over the hump and we can get us a nice couple of picks.

Don't want to give up a couple of years of watching the Magic Man for maybe a late first and an okay prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad