Proposal: Hypothetical Rebuild 6: Summary So Far

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So I have put out several threads on possible GMing moves up to this point. Lets look at what us HFBoards posters decided to do in Holland's position:

Here is a look at the HFBoards Adjusted Age Distribution of the DRW:
*(KUR = Keep Until Retired)

37: Datsyuk (KUR)
36: Franzen (LTIR)
35: Zetterberg (KUR), Kronwall(KUR)
34:
33:
32: Ericsson
31:
30: Green
29: Abdelkader
28:
27:
26: Glendening, Nyquist, Dekeyser
25: Tatar, Sheahan
24: Marchenko, Pulkkinen, Mrazek
23: Jurco
22: Ouellet
21: Athanasiou, Mantha
20:
19: Larkin

So Our Rough Lineup for 2016-2017 is:

Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Larkin
Tatar-Datsyuk-Mantha
Nyquist-Anthanasiou-Pulkkinen
Sheahan-Glendening-Jurco
XXXXX

13th Forward and Rookie Call-ups: Nosek, Tangradi, Bertuzzi, Svechnikov (4)

Green-Kronwall
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Marchenko-Ouellet

7th D: ??? (Russo, Jensen, Lashoff?)

Mrazek
(Some Bum Backup)

These are decisions we have made so far. Lets assume we get nothing back but draft picks and cap space for all players we lost (Howard, Smith, Helm, Quincey, Richards, Miller)

That would leave us with this Budget:

Abby(4.25)-Zetterberg(6.083)-Larkin(0.925)
Tatar(2.75)-Datsyuk(7.5)-Mantha(0.863)
Nyquist(4.75)-Anthanasiou(0.628)-Pulkkinen(0.9)
Sheahan(1.3)-Glendening(0.628)-Jurco(0.9)

Green(6.0)-Kronwall(4.75)
Dekeyser(4.0)-Ericsson(4.25)
Marchenko(0.667)-Ouellet(0.715)

Mrazek(4.0)
Backup?(1.5)

This would give us a Budget of:
57.36 Million - Using 12 Forwards, 6 D and 2 G (We would still need to add 1F and 1D.)
*Bolded Numbers are Estimates for RFA contracts

What do you guys think of everything I have listed Here so far??

I would expect this lineup with no UFA signings to Miss the playoffs. But there are some pieces here. Ideally the goal of the organization would be to stick with our young players, and retain or gain any picks possible for the next 1-2 years. See where we end up.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Mrazek(4.0)
Backup?(1.5)

I would've assumed Coreau or McCollum (depending on whether you think it's better to keep Coreau starting in GR) would play back-up in this case. Would they really cost 1.5m?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I would've assumed Coreau or McCollum (depending on whether you think it's better to keep Coreau starting in GR) would play back-up in this case. Would they really cost 1.5m?

1.5M for a UFA I was figuring.
Coreau of course would cost half that.

Either way we would be below the CAP floor i think. So $$$ is not a problem right now.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
1.5M for a UFA I was figuring.
Coreau of course would cost half that.

Either way we would be below the CAP floor i think. So $$$ is not a problem right now.

For sure, sorry, the money question was secondary to the personnel question.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Howard won't be traded and if by some miracle he is, expect a lot of cap retention.

I'm expecting the Wings to have roughly nine million on the books just for goaltending.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
So I have put out several threads on possible GMing moves up to this point. Lets look at what us HFBoards posters decided to do in Holland's position:

I don't think thats accurate. You don't have any sort of trade deals or UFAs choices available other than 3 extremely basic options for UFAs relating to Helm, Richards, and Miller.

From reading the forum overall I think the general leanings is gut the Dcore by utilizing some of our forward depth. 1 of Nyquist/Tatar is gone. Pulks gone, Jurco gone. All trade bait.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't think thats accurate. You don't have any sort of trade deals or UFAs choices available other than 3 extremely basic options for UFAs relating to Helm, Richards, and Miller.

From reading the forum overall I think the general leanings is gut the Dcore by utilizing some of our forward depth. 1 of Nyquist/Tatar is gone. Pulks gone, Jurco gone. All trade bait.

Yes, this was a good start though. Lets open it up to ideas on what to vote on in rebuild post 7

So far i avoided signing specific UFA's or specific trades, because that would require agreement from the other team.
I wanted to do all DRW only choices first.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So what are the main problems with this Roster?
What are the main bonuses of what we have done so far?

1) Weak Defense
2) Lots of Extra Money Now
3) Team is very young.

What else??

Who on this Roster are we ok with trading? (We already said Datsyuk/Z/Kronwall are Keepers)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

1) Weak Defense
3) Team is very young.

I don't think 2 or 3 are problems, really.

1) Aging/declining core
2) Weak defense
3) Small forwards, lack of offensive D (too much redundancy through roster)

Also: System is too idealistic for talent level of actual roster.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
What are the main bonuses of what we have done so far?

1) Weak Defense
3) Team is very young.

What else??

Who on this Roster are we ok with trading? (We already said Datsyuk/Z/Kronwall are Keepers)

Current group of defenseman on the Wings aren't even remotely good enough to help the Wings win games.

Defensive prospects look like more of the same. A bunch of 4-6 tweeners.

Wings are still very reliant on their two oldest forwards to generate offense.

I don't know what to make of the Wings prospect pool at forward. Supposedly it's good, but it sure doesn't look that way to me. I guess it would be good if the Wings only needed their prospects to fill in as depth/supporting roles as opposed to core roles. However that isn't the case.

Goaltending is an issue only because the amount of money it's going to tie up. The issue is only exacerbated by the blue line being a total joke. You can't afford to pay a guy 5+ million to record faceoff wins when the defense in front of your starting goalie is completely unreliable.

Management is definitely a huge problem. Their team building philosophy just doesn't work in today's NHL.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yes, this was a good start though. Lets open it up to ideas on what to vote on in rebuild post 7

So far i avoided signing specific UFA's or specific trades, because that would require agreement from the other team.
I wanted to do all DRW only choices first.

Cookin, I think what we have done here to date is to thin the herd. The next question is whether we should move any of our remaining stock via trade for different assets and whether we should add through free agency.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Ya i meant problems and benefits.

1 was a problem
2/3 were bonuses of what we have done.

1) Aging Core... cant really be fixed as we all voted to keep the oldest 3.
Basically acquire new assets by missing playoffs.. and drafting will fix this.

2) Weak Defense Likely could be a trade to pick up 1 new D man

3) Smaller Forwards.. Suggest a main UFA we should be targetting (Larger Hitting UFA Forward)

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Cookin, I think what we have done here to date is to thin the herd. The next question is whether we should move any of our remaining stock via trade for different assets and whether we should add through free agency.

Ok here are the main thoughts that have been suggested previously

1) -This idea has basically also be well discussed with the other team. Most fans are in agreement.

Tomas Tatar <---> Sami Vatanen

2) UFA signing Not sure who to list here. (Ladd, Okposo, Staal) - Most these guys are older of course. Does signing any UFA's stop addition of young players to our roster over time? Considering the roster posted in original post

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Could this work

Howard @ 1million retained plus pulkinnen to calgary for 20174th or 5th round pick

Currently we couldnt cut any more players (would drop below 12 forwards). Already assumed that we would basically give Howard away for "picks+prospects"

Just for sake of argument I would say for "The purposes of this thread" that we can assume Howard is traded to lets say Calgary for a conditional 6th/7th. They get a goalie. We get Cap space.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Howard won't be traded and if by some miracle he is, expect a lot of cap retention.

I'm expecting the Wings to have roughly nine million on the books just for goaltending.

If we are truly going into a re-build or a quasi re-build as you propose, why should we be worried about retaining salary to move Howard? If we are truly in a re-build, we won't be signing any expensive free agents for several years.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

It probably would cost us ~1 mil in retention to get a deal done tbh. I think we could move him at 4 a year for sure.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Everyone seemed pretty on board with:

Zetterberg-Larkin-Abdelkader/ Larkin-Z-Abdelkader
AA-Datsyuk-Okposo
Nyquist/Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha
Miller/UFA/Kid-Glendening-Jurco/UFA/Kid
Pulkkinen?

Dekeyser-Vatanen
Kronwall-Green
Ouellet-Marchenko

Mrazek
Howard/Coreau/UFA

Which I of course would not bemoan.

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Everyone seemed pretty on board with:

Zetterberg-Larkin-Abdelkader/ Larkin-Z-Abdelkader
AA-Datsyuk-Okposo
Nyquist/Tatar-Sheahan-Mantha
Miller/UFA/Kid-Glendening-Jurco/UFA/Kid
Pulkkinen?

Dekeyser-Vatanen
Kronwall-Green
Ouellet-Marchenko

Mrazek
Howard/Coreau/UFA

Which I of course would not bemoan.

If Detroit was to pay up for a FA forward, I’d rather it be Stamkos for ‘only' a few more Millions. If he doesn’t want to sign with Det, I would rather invest that money in the defense. Okposo is a nice player but I don’t think he’s the difference between a cup or not imo. Our forward group is awesome, improving the defense would increase the teams scoring dramatically

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad