[Hypothetical] Phil Kessel unwilling to re-sign

Mr Shanahan

Jul 11, 2007
Toronto
I don't necessarily think that we're a bad team without Kessel.

JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, with leadership/veteran high-level play from Lupul and Dion isn't a bad core to build around. It's a big setback but if we can get a solid top-six prospect ++ for Phil, then we're not exactly screwed.

Add Kadri and Bernier/Reimer and I don't hate that foundation at all.

Okay I know that worrying about the situation does not make it any better, but to say that we are an okay team without Kessel is kind of crazy...

There is probably a >5% chance Kessel is dealt at the deadline because I doubt Nonis would want to take away from the playoff team that we hope to be come February/March, and he would probably be confident in being able to sign Kessel anyways like Anaheim did with their stars.

But, if things go wrong after that and Kessel tests free agency and we lose him, our team is not much better than when we traded for Kessel. We'll still need a player to turn into the player that Kessel has become, but we won't have a Kessel-type player to get to that level. Kadri is not as good as Kessel was when we made the trade for him.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
You are all delusional if you think we're in any way,shape or form going to be a better team if we lose Phaneuf and Kessel

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
Even is he's unwilling to re-sign, you only trade him for a massive package.

This is a team that can make a serious run in the playoffs, and could possibly change Kessel's mind.

I'm not worried though, Kessel seems to love Toronto, and has been great with the media this year, so that doesn't seem to bother him.

Exactly. I also think we have the sense of comorodary in the lockerroom that players want to be a part of.

Not overly concerned about Phil not wanting to be here.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I don't necessarily think that we're a bad team without Kessel.

JVR, Kadri, Gardiner, Rielly, with leadership/veteran high-level play from Lupul and Dion isn't a bad core to build around. It's a big setback but if we can get a solid top-six prospect ++ for Phil, then we're not exactly screwed.

Theres just too many question marks regarding those players at the moment.

JVR and Lupul both suffer injuries pretty regularily.

Gardiner hasn't proved he's anything more than a top 4 player.

Rielly might not even make the team at the moment.

Kadri had a couple good months.

I'm not sure if I really want to build the core of a building on a potential land mine field.

I know you said build around them, but outside of Phaneuf none of them have proven that they are legit star players over a long period of time.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Then we sign Vanek or Gaborik to replace his goal scoring and call it a day.. But main priority is to get Phil signed.

I would go for Vanek, but stay the hell away from Gaborik.

I'm hoping Phil would let management know before the TDL if he isn't interested in re-signing, but I realize that generally doesn't happen. If the Leafs are in the thick of the playoff race I doubt there will be a lot of contract talk going on.

IF Kessel wants to leave, Nonis MUST get a top prospect ready to make the jump next season. Not that all of these teams would be interested in Kessel, but along the lines of Strome, Granlund, Coyle, Tarasenko, Forsberg, etc.

Signing Vanek and trading for Granlund/Coyle would be fantastic, but probably not very realistic.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Kessel already stated he is not willing to talk contract during the season..

That means unless he is resigned in the next few days he will be unsigned at the trade deadline.. Once the trade deadline passes and he is still a Leaf then there is no more opportunity to trade him as the NHL trade freeze is in effect until season is over.

At which point the most the Leafs could do is trade his rights if he refuses to sign and is wanting to test UFA season. The best one could expect in return is a conditional draft pick at that point at best realistically.

Leafs got no return for Sundin when he left, and fans should brace themselves for that possibility to happen again.

Do we have a link to audio or video making his comment about not negotiating during the season? Because there can be a big difference between these:

I don't want to ...
I'm not willing to ..
I prefer not to ...
I won't ...
etc.

So, without the exact wording (and ideally tone) of what Phil said, I'm not willing to reach any conclusions about whether or not it is possible for the Leafs to reach a new with Phil before the trade deadline. Plus, it's always possible that he will change his mind -- but that possibility is very seldom discussed on these boards, because it makes it harder for some posters to pull out quotes from 4 or 5 years in the past and try to apply them to a current situation.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
If Kessel's leaves, theres no point in keeping his wife Bozak around either.

JVR - Kadri - Clarkson
Lupul - Bolland - Kulemin

Not great but I think thats a wildcard playoff team.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
It would be an unmitigated disaster if he walked, and our team would look terrible without him. Good thing I don't believe this will happen.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Hypothetically if Kessel (& Phaneuf) leave Leafs are primed to take a run at Connor McDavid.

So, you don't think the Leafs can spend approximately ~$15M in the free agent market and replace a good chunk of what Phil and Dion bring to the team. It sounds like you're prefer for them to dump everyone if Phil and Dion leave and wait another 3 or 4 years before they try to do anything again.

Babscocks

Jan 7, 2011
Edmonton
We need him to resign, if he tells Nonis he isn't interested we should just trade him right now. No point in him leaving for nothing. He missed him first 10 games as a Leaf and hasn't missed one since and progressively improves every year. I don't imagine he wants out, i'm sure he's just as awkward meeting new teammates as he is speaking to the media haha

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Aren't we a wildcard playoff team now?

I honestly think if Randy uses his head and ices the best possible team we are better than a wildcard playoff team. Not good enough to win the Atlantic Division but good enough to give Boston/Ottawa/Detroit a run for their money.

If Randy say puts Gards in the Pressbox, Makes Kadri play 14minutes a game and gives Fraser top 4 minutes then no, were in the bottom of the standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad