Hypothetical: Leafs makes it to the second round this year, but lose the series in 5 games. Do they fire Dubas?

Do the Leafs fire Dubas in this scenario?

• Yes

Votes: 30 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 40 57.1%

• Total voters

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Do they? No.

Should they? Depends on how badly they get blown out in the series.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Absolutely. Anything short of a 6 game series in the ECF is a complete failure. Losing 4-1 in round 2 is not acceptable. IDC if every single game went to OT. The goal for this team is to win a championship, applauding them and not getting rid of Dubas for a 4-1 loss in round 2 would be pathetic and humiliating. I believe this is the last straw for both Shanahan and Dubas, they've been given more than a fair chance to build a contender now.

Hopefully not! Two incidences of handshake line respect in one post season deserves an extension.

Hopefully the Oilers are listening and are quick to extend Holland ! Oilers did make the WCF after all, elite GMing.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
It’s gotta be a deep run or time for someone new because their current plan isn’t getting it done.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Going into the playoffs last season, i said minimum acceptable result for Leafs would be round 3. I'd say its same thing this season

Would he be fired? Ill say yes, as they want results. A fresh start with a new GM before you have to resign Matthews makes sense.

But its probably 50/50

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
At this point, anything less than a conference finals appearance is worth firing him over in my opinion. And even then, if they make it to the third round and lose without putting up a good enough fight, fire him.

I've not ever been on the "Reeeeeee Dubas is the worst thing ever" train that many Leafs fans might be, but the guy has had a long time to build his team the way he wants and has had nothing to show for it. I like some of the stuff he's done here (was a huge fan of the Brodie acquisition), but I'm tired of making excuses.

It's time to move on. If the Leafs can't show themselves to be a legitimately dangerous contender, blow it up. New management, scouts, coaching staff.

Reactions: dalewood12

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
I think the progress of even 1 round is enough to keep him especially since they all seem to love him. When you are lined they will find excuses to keep you around even if the results vs. potential has regularly been underwhelming

Edit: they being upper management/ownership

Reactions: dalewood12

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
This is 50/50 in what MLSE does. I really think this isn’t shanahan’s call and more of MLSE call. I think if this scenario plays out, I could see a short term 2 yr extension or move on. Both seem plausible under this scenario.

now if you asked me what they should do, my answer would be to drive him to the airport and revoke all building access and ameneties

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
One thing is for sure, firing him is a mistake. He will quickly be employed elsewhere and eventually be a GM again and likely win a cup or two. Fans will pretend it was Leaf fans who hated him and that there weren't main board bash threads from other fans.

Dubas is a very good GM who has made some mistakes but overal, he has the Leafs org the deepest I have ever seen it. Rebuilt the Leafs from a run and gun team to a top defensive team without losing a single core piece or top prospect.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
we would finally graduate into pre-cup Washington capitals choking.

Conference final or bust imo, but management probably stays if we make second round as long as it isn’t embarrassing

If we lose in 5 to Boston in round 2 (our likely 2nd round opponent) I would be so f***ing pissed
Ohhhh that would sting….but at least it wouldn’t be in 7 i guess:skeptic:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
One thing is for sure, firing him is a mistake. He will quickly be employed elsewhere and eventually be a GM again and likely win a cup or two. Fans will pretend it was Leaf fans who hated him and that there weren't main board bash threads from other fans.

Dubas is a very good GM who has made some mistakes but overal, he has the Leafs org the deepest I have ever seen it. Rebuilt the Leafs from a run and gun team to a top defensive team without losing a single core piece or top prospect.
Dubas doesn’t have a contract, so no he won’t be fired, thought you’d know that. There are lots of leaf fans on your board that want a Dubas gone , for the last couple of years, don’t need to venture to the mains.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
I already thought he deserved to be canned after getting his team trolled by the habs all the way to the SCF's.

It seems like Dubas's Leafs have been involved in a lot of the hilarious shit thats happened in the NHL in recent memory.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s a bit of a unique situation. How often does a GM get fired when the team finishes in the top 5?
But then how many GMs of top 5 teams are on the last year of their contract and haven’t been offered an extension? Clearly ownership is concerned.
I’d say that he’s on thin ice unless he wins at least two rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00