Roman Kantserov (Metallurg, KHL)
Ilya Klochko (Almaz, VHL)

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
This team might win it all.

Pathetic the IIHF is blocking them from competing.
Can't agree here, for this team the only way to win (or even to medal actually) would be Michkov going full beast mode. However last year's team with Mintyukov, Yurov, Michkov, Miroshnichenko, Poltapov, Svechkov, Chibrikov, Grebyonkin, Buchelnikov, Petrov etc. and, what might be even more important, with a great depth everywhere including C and D - I'd say that team could've been a favorite even on paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: lakai17

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Recent notable take from twitter:

A bit lazy one for my liking though (including Yurov's pic at Artamonov's position lol), which is strange, as usually Pronman provides solid analysis depth, even though I don't always agree with him.

Reactions: BerthMania

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can't agree here, for this team the only way to win (or even to medal actually) would be Michkov going full beast mode. However last year's team with Mintyukov, Yurov, Michkov, Miroshnichenko, Poltapov, Svechkov, Chibrikov, Grebyonkin, Buchelnikov, Petrov etc. and, what might be even more important, with a great depth everywhere including C and D - I'd say that team could've been a favorite even on paper.
The way I see it, it's great in goal. Ivanov and Murahsov behind him would give Russia some of the best goaltending. The defense is better than most years. It would be a defense with a top 10 draft pick in Simashev, another who could be one in Silayev, and everyone else would be competitive, and then the forwards could have potentially the tournament's best player in Michkov, Miroshnichenko would be another very good forward, and a projected top 5-10 pick in Demidov. As always, center depth isn't strong. That's almost always one of the big issues, but I think if you put that aside and consider that the other nations have weaknesses (USA has a very small defense, Sweden lacks true star power, Canada has a question in goal and doesn't have as many stars as usual), I think it's a team that could win it.

Last year would've been a very good medal contender also.

Reactions: ViD

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
The way I see it, it's great in goal. Ivanov and Murahsov behind him would give Russia some of the best goaltending. The defense is better than most years. It would be a defense with a top 10 draft pick in Simashev, another who could be one in Silayev, and everyone else would be competitive, and then the forwards could have potentially the tournament's best player in Michkov, Miroshnichenko would be another very good forward, and a projected top 5-10 pick in Demidov. As always, center depth isn't strong. That's almost always one of the big issues, but I think if you put that aside and consider that the other nations have weaknesses (USA has a very small defense, Sweden lacks true star power, Canada has a question in goal and doesn't have as many stars as usual), I think it's a team that could win it.

Goaltending is indeed solid, but as for anything else there are question marks:

-What to do with centers would be really a headache, like really
-A lot of 2005 born players would be there and being a younger team is usually a disadvantage in that kind of tournament, also the international experience for them is lacking for obvious reasons
-Not a lot of proven chemistry between the players
-D is decent, but just decent both in terms of depth and quality, particularly because Duda isn't playing this season
-Also not sure if the Caps would've let Miroshnichenko go, as right now he is getting ready for his NHL debut

So due to all that to me, last year's team would've been a gold medal contender if not favorite, this year's - just a strong candidate for a medal.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
Mintyukov and Petrov probably aren’t going as ohl guys

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Putting the politics aside, it’s a shame we don’t get to see that Russian team in action. I’m happy we are getting to see a resurgence in Czechia and Slovakia to fill the void, but it will be great if those teams are playing well AND Russia is back in the mix.
For sure... Another Uber talented team makes it better. And the roster looks really damn good. Michkov would have been a real problem for everyone.

Reactions: Statsy

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Assuming Miroshnichenko (NHL) and Duda (inactive) are unavailable….

Demidov-Michkov-Rykov
But-Grass-Kantserov
Dolzhenkov-Ilyin-Artamonov
Chernyshov-Yanchenko-Kabat
Kvochko

Yevseyev-Silayev
Simashev-Gulyayev
Komarov-Kudryavtsev
Barabosha

Ivanov
Murashov
Zavragin

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Assuming Miroshnichenko (NHL) and Duda (inactive) are unavailable….

Demidov-Michkov-Rykov
But-Grass-Kantserov
Dolzhenkov-Ilyin-Artamonov
Chernyshov-Yanchenko-Kabat
Kvochko

Yevseyev-Silayev
Simashev-Gulyayev
Komarov-Kudryavtsev
Barabosha

Ivanov
Murashov
Zavragin
Why is Kvochko there? I mean, so far all he did was rather disappointing, I think Almazov or Filatyev would be better if talking about centers.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

That definitely would have been an entertaining team to watch. I never thought about last year's team potentially. I miss that team in the tournament as it makes it that much more competitive.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Why is Kvochko there? I mean, so far all he did was rather disappointing, I think Almazov or Filatyev would be better if talking about centers.

I like his experience on the international stage and the massive familiarity he has with his 2004 generation teammates. He’s been a NT staple since forever.
His development has fallen off a cliff, but he can provide some value in a 13th forward role.

Last edited:

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Couple of hypothetical rosters from Russian journalists, here's by Daria Tuboltseva from Sport24.ru:

Miroshnichenko-Michkov-Dolzhenkov
But-Filatyev-Demidov
Artamonov-Surin (or Malov)-Ilyin
Rimashevskiy-Yanchenko-Kantserov
Trikozov, Mukhanov

Silayev-Gulyayev
Simashev-Shuravin
Yevseyev-Barabosha
Pelevin-Kudryavtsev

Ivanov
Murashov
Zavragin

And this one by Ivan Bogun from Sport-Express:

Ilyin-Michkov-Miroshnichenko
Artamonov-Demidov-But
Mukhanov-Grass-Kantserov
Kabat-Yanchenko-Rimashevskiy
Surin, Rykov, Mikhalyov

Silayev-Gulyaev
Simashev-Yevseyev
Pelevin-Shuravin
Kol, Shchuchinov

Ivanov
Murashov
Zavragin

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com

After the tournament is now over I must admit I was wrong and too harsh here, as a lot of issues that I saw in this hypothetical roster were there with the participating teams as well.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3