Proposal: Hyman to DET as a UFA

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Multiple sources said they didn’t believe any talks of substance had happened, going back months. No progress was made on extension talk at any point, really, going back to when Hyman first became eligible for a new deal last year.

Athletic link

Is there any room for him on DET? Is he redundant with Bertuzzi on the roster? There's the whole link to Larkin, as they were teamates at UofMichigan with Werenski too :naughty:.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Does Hyman actually play C? Not sure I have any real interest in a 29 year old on what will be a Nielsen contract regardless, but I have no interest whatsoever if he's just another W.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Multiple sources said they didn’t believe any talks of substance had happened, going back months. No progress was made on extension talk at any point, really, going back to when Hyman first became eligible for a new deal last year.

Athletic link

Is there any room for him on DET? Is he redundant with Bertuzzi on the roster? There's the whole link to Larkin, as they were teamates at UofMichigan with Werenski too :naughty:.
Hey if we sign Zach Hyman, Then Zach Werenski has to come home to Detroit. We need the Hyman, Larkin, Werenski Michigan connection back again.

Reactions: Mister Ed

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Not much interest from me. Don't need any more wingers, would rather keep some roster spots open for the kids.

Reactions: 14ari13

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'll throw another echo into the chamber. I'm worried about how his game will hold up over time, he's at that age where it will start to decline. He's going to want a good contract as this will be the best period for his career earnings. We have a lot of decent wingers on the team and in the system. I appreciate that Hyman brings a slightly different element to his game, but it's not enough for me to want him.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
His production, at first blush, is very impressive for a guy who doesn't seem to see a lot of PP time.
But imagine how much space he has out there as teams key on Matthews and Marner.
So there's probably a huge buyer beware with this guy, who has been winger to some of the most productive guys in the NHL.
What happens if he plays with Larkin or Rasmussen as his C?
He goes from .75 ppg to what? On this team, maybe .4? For $4.8? $5M? $5.2?
Sounds like the kind of contract that would be a bust before Hyman even ages.

No.
f***ing.
Way.

I wouldn't pay more than $3M for Hyman. And even then, I wouldn't spend the money given the serious needs this team has all over the roster.

On the market this year, you're going to find bargains.

I bet Mike Hoffman can be signed for $3-4M for 1-2 years and he'd score you 25-30 goals.

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
5 or lower is fine, anything higher and you begin to regret it. He'd be a phenomenal add to help insulate a young core in Detroit, Id just keep Bert and have 2 feisty wingers.

I hope he comes to Edmonton for 5mx4y but he'll likely get overpaid by someone. My guess is Holland picks up Tatar, Coleman or Goodrow anyway.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
I was interested in Hyman early on and still am. In looking around at articles and posts of his future contracts, I find it more often to be in the $4M range. Usually you will find him $4.5-$5M on a shorter contract (3-4) and $3.5-4M on a longer term (5-7) year contract.

Most point to the type of player he is: blue collar, scrappy, effort type and how those players mostly don't live up to their contracts and has driven the price down on these types of players in the last few years. I have seen comparisons to Toffoli, Sam Reinhart, Boone Jenner, and Tom Wilson which are all $3.75 to 5M average per year on the contract. I would venture to say Hyman will land a 4 year $4.5M or a 6 year $4M contract this off season.

If the Wings are interested, I would say the 4 year deal is the way to go. He would be 32 at the end of the contract and still be tradeable in the last year if we wanted to go that route. Rumor is he will take less to stay in Toronto since that is his home town but I think Larkin and Detroit would be a nice landing spot for him if Toronto can't pony up.

I wouldn't mind seeing him at RW where we are a bit thin. He shoots right and has played there but has also played mostly LW and C when forced into it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He's the kind of guy that definitely helps stabilize your young group, but he has that Abdelkader contract risk.

Of course everyone wants these players on shorter deals but that's not always feasible. It only takes one GM to roll the dice on 5+ years.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
We already have a younger Hyman, his name is Tyler Bertuzzi. He'll be a great add for a contender but i dont see much of a fit here. He'll be paid into his mid 30s at 5m+ which i want no part of... id rather give Bert the same contract.

Reactions: njx9

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
We already have a younger Hyman, his name is Tyler Bertuzzi. He'll be a great add for a contender but i dont see much of a fit here. He'll be paid into his mid 30s at 5m+ which i want no part of... id rather give Bert the same contract.

What if we sign Hyman and then trade Bertuzzi + Hronek for Werenski? :sarcasm:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
No interest at all. Zach Hyman is too reminiscent of David Clarkson or Justin Abdelkader. He's a good player to have if he's playing cheap for you. He is not the type of player you want to sign in UFA, because he's going to be paid far more than he's worth in dollars and term.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Hey if we sign Zach Hyman, Then Zach Werenski has to come home to Detroit. We need the Hyman, Larkin, Werenski Michigan connection back again.

And then we trade 6OA+ to Winnipeg for Kyle Connor, a mid round pick to whoever holds Compher and a low round pick for Motte...

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Re-sign Jon Merrill, Hronek + Bertuzzi for Werenski, and a couple picks for Trouba 25% retained

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Hyman looks like the standard bad contract waiting to happen. Player at the end of his prime, played with star players on a stacked team, looking for his big contract.

Reactions: 14ari13

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
No and No. Hyman has Ladd, Backes, Nielsen Erikkson regrettable deal all over him. He wants to sign for 3 years, 9 mil, sure. He won't though.

For those wondering what he plays, he played most of the season at LW with Matthews (C) and Marner (RW), another reason to be careful because those two are going to give him a giant stats boost (like Abby when he played with D).

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Hyman looks like the standard bad contract waiting to happen. Player at the end of his prime, played with star players on a stacked team, looking for his big contract.

Man, whatever happened to our capfriendly or Spotrac listings of our lineups? I remember all those "5M x6 contracts for Clarkson" everyone was putting in. One of the few hockey times I was right... in not wanting any part of that dude.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Love Hyman's game. Way better piano puller (pusher? whatever the f) than Abdelkader ever was. But yeah, he doesn't fit in Detroit for all of the other reasons already mentioned. Hope he gets paid somewhere though. Go Blue.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Funny i was thinking of a Bertuzzi+Hronek offer for Zach Werenski. But moving Hronek would only be contingent if we sign either Hamilton or Jones. Do it Stevie Y.

You are putting a contingency on getting rid of Hronek when you are getting a significant upgrade on D in Werenski and introducing probably an upgrade at RD in Seider?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad