Injury Report: Hyman out for at least 6 months with a torn ACL

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Hyman on any other team would be playing on the third line, maybe forth.

Look, I love Hyman, he does all the right things but let’s not kid ourselves on what he is. I suspect Mikheyev and Johnsson will push Hyman down to where he should be. The nice thing is we know he can step up and do the right things when asked to play up in the lineup.

No.

21 goal scorers do not play on the 4th line.

Reactions: Boutette

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
From what I'm reading it seems the NHL should only award a half goal when someone scores an ugly goal or EN goal.
Guys like Cam Neely and Gary Roberts who made their living in the trenches would take a big hit to their stats. (And before you mistakenly think I'm comparing Hyman to those guys, I'm not. I'm using those to show that goal scoring sometimes just comes from being tenacious and doesn't have to be top shelf nifty mits to be valuable)
Maybe they should award style points for the goals that are really pretty?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
If you think Trevor Moore is a better player, or Mikehevy, you're out to lunch.

I think Mikheyev will crush this year and will push Hyman down to where he should have been on the third line. Trevor Moore is a great 3/4 line winger that is all. Plus when did I say Moore was better? Never. I like Hyman he just plays to high for his skill set.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
nice shift

but it still doesn't change the fact your post was full of ****

So empty net goals are suddenly a bad thing. I guess it must be that perennial whipping boy Hyman is scoring them.

I pointed out that Marleau's scoring on empty netters wasn't considered a negative feature of his game. Somehow, the same is not true of Hyman. Some people will look for any reason to rag on Hyman. He's their whipping boy of choice. Doesn't make their ragging of him any less full of ****.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
He is a 21 goal scorer because he played with Matthew and Nylander. JT and Marner.

So... what would a third liner do with them? Score 30+ goals? Would a second liner score 40-50? A first liner score 50-60? How do you break that down exactly?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
So we're adding Hyman to the list of people that HFLeafs are mad at.

Oh, they've been mad at him for a full three years. And if he's ever demoted, they'll find something new to complain about, such as that he's overpaid and the leafs can't afford him so he needs to be gotten rid of and replaced by their personal favorite plug.

Last edited:

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think Mikheyev will crush this year and will push Hyman down to where he should have been on the third line. Trevor Moore is a great 3/4 line winger that is all. Plus when did I say Moore was better? Never. I like Hyman he just plays to high for his skill set.

If Mikheyev crushes this year (or really if anyone breaks out other than the big 4) this team will be even more ridiculously fun to watch.

I hope that happens

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
So... what would a third liner do with them? Score 30+ goals? Would a second liner score 40-50? A first liner score 50-60? How do you break that down exactly?

He has a career high 41 points. That is not a true first or second line player and under any other coaching staff he would be a third liner player. Like I said this before I love Hyman, he does all the right things and yes he can play on the first and second line because he can skate is defensively responsible but offensively he is not there. If we had a high to mid end LW then he would be pushed down.

Johnsson is likely one of those, Mikheyev if as advertised can and should be the second. Do we have two high end to elite LW no but that is okay when we have AM and JT as C and Marner and Nylander as RW.

Stop getting so upset because I disagree with you, i’m not saying Hyman is bad, actually I hope they extend him to a reasonable 4/5 year extension because he is so versatile. Just saying on an SC winner he is and should be your third line.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He has a career high 41 points. That is not a true first or second line player and under any other coaching staff he would be a third liner player. Like I said this before I love Hyman, he does all the right things and yes he can play on the first and second line because he can skate is defensively responsible but offensively he is not there. If we had a high to mid end LW then he would be pushed down.

Johnsson is likely one of those, Mikheyev if as advertised can and should be the second. Do we have two high end to elite LW no but that is okay when we have AM and JT as C and Marner and Nylander as RW.

Stop getting so upset because I disagree with you, i’m not saying Hyman is bad, actually I hope they extend him to a reasonable 4/5 year extension because he is so versatile. Just saying on an SC winner he is and should be your third line.

Not sure you understand how impressive 41pts actually is when it comes with zero PP time. He had more points at even strength than any forward other than the big 3.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

41 non PP points a season is at least 2nd line production on any team in the league and first line production on at least a third, even on some good teams, the Islanders or Vegas' first line produced those kinds of points off the powerplay.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
41 non PP points a season is at least 2nd line production on any team in the league and first line production on at least a third, even on some good teams, the Islanders or Vegas' first line produced those kinds of points off the powerplay.

This fanbase loves to nitpick

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
We'll see, perhaps they have added a couple.

It really is about skating with purpose.

Now if you add some hands could actually have a dominant line that can continue in the post season as well as the soft season.

Now, if you subtract the torn ACL on a pivotal linemate, plus injuries to other key players. things might be different in the post season for the team.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He's an ideal player, can play up and contribute and has a Cap hit you can use anywhere in the top 9.

Not you but I remember other posters who were criticizing Babcock for playing Hyman on the Matthews line. Now that development time on the Matthews line is showing through, I don't see anyone saying they were wrong about Babcock and his resolve in developing Hyman into a legit power forward. Sometimes head coaches are doing the right thing even when fans can't see it. Gotta love Babcock and his decades of experience, I'm sure the players do. What a gud pro!

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
From what I'm reading it seems the NHL should only award a half goal when someone scores an ugly goal or EN goal.
Guys like Cam Neely and Gary Roberts who made their living in the trenches would take a big hit to their stats. (And before you mistakenly think I'm comparing Hyman to those guys, I'm not. I'm using those to show that goal scoring sometimes just comes from being tenacious and doesn't have to be top shelf nifty mits to be valuable)
Maybe they should award style points for the goals that are really pretty?

Some players need to do some ugly work in the trenches, Hyman is limited but on a skill line he's bloody useful, it's not a fluke that any line he's on with skill players looks bloody solid

I never thought I'd write this but we need another Hyman for the top 6 because the top 6 line he isn't on never looks as well balanced as the line he is on

I do like that style points thing though, you should get onto the league about that

Reactions: saltming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad