Confirmed with Link: Hyman fined $5k

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
My take on Hyman doing what he did was simply "I'm going to slash this f***er back, oh shit Forbert in my way, correct slash, almost hit Pionk in face." That's what it looked like to me. I don't think he intentionally went for Pionks head, just had to change his slash due to Forbert being in the way. Either way, he got a fine, no big deal. f*** Pionk and Forbert.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I feel like every tough guy who comes suddenly stops playing that style as much as they used to on other teams. Clifford is the other example I was thinking of specifically.

Yup, Matt Martin as well. Simmonds isn’t even throwing his body around anymore. Remember when Muzzin got here? He was a hitting machine. Now, not so much

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
To me, it looked like Hyman was off balance and his stick got away from him. Despite that, it looked very dangerous, and he should control his stick.

A fine seems reasonable.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Makes sense, how many games did PLD get for his blatant headshot on a vulnerable player?

PLD deserves a Ovechkin on Frederic tap every game he’s out there. If I were a player I’d happily pay that fine.

I wish Dubois and Tkachuk would mutually annihilate each other on simultaneous cheap shots.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
What about when Dubois hit Kerfoot in the head or does that just get brushed off?

Is Perros stil in charge of the NHL safety committee? Kind of ironic to leave a guy in charge thats had one too many punches to the head. He clearly doesn't know what the f*** he's doing. And I'm not even complaining about the Hyman $5k fine, but do your job right

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Did he even get a hearing? Any doubt roles reversed would be a multi gamer? Actually kinda surprised Kerfoots didn't get several games for getting in the way.
No doubt there's an intermission segment on the hit if that's someone like Simmonds on a smaller player. If it's Kadri were looking at 5+ games.

Not even sure we saw a replay of the hit last night

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
PLD deserves a Ovechkin on Frederic tap every game he’s out there. If I were a player I’d happily pay that fine.

I wish Dubois and Tkachuk would mutually annihilate each other on simultaneous cheap shots.
Was disappointed not to see anything last night. It's one thing in a tight game but at 4-2 or even 3-2 with Matthews and Nylander out you send a message.

Not like Simmonds or Thornton are doing anything else right now.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Was disappointed not to see anything last night. It's one thing in a tight game but at 4-2 or even 3-2 with Matthews and Nylander out you send a message.

Not like Simmonds or Thornton are doing anything else right now.

I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes at MLSE but I find even the toughest of customers seem to lose their edge a little bit playing for the “Yankees of the NHL.”

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I salute the NHL's consistency at being inconsistent.

Poink's slash was much more deliberate than Hyman's and there wasn't even a penalty given.

Complete joke but does anything with the NHL really surprise anyone anymore?

Slash to the leg is different than an overhead swing to the head.
If he didn’t like it, then go punch him in the head, not swing your stick down on his head.

Reactions: Pandemonia

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Guys, you can't swing your stick at a guy's face. If Hyman skates up to Pionk, winds up and punches him right in the face he's not getting a call from the DoPS. If you swing your stick at a guy's face, they're going to hit you with some form of discipline. Pionk being a little asshole before the swing happens has absolutely nothing to do with Hyman being assessed supplementary discipline. You have a dozen options for ways to retaliate on little pukes that aren't swinging your stick near their face. If you swing your stick at someone's face, you're risking supplemental discipline. If he swings his stick at hip height he gets 2 minutes and that's it. Stick at head height and he's getting discipline. This really isn't unfair or difficult to grasp.

Go ahead and bitch and whine about Dubois or Marchand or whatever if you have to, but I beg of you please have some dignity and try not to be completely unrelenting homers who need to defend Hyman for swinging his stick at a guy's face. He got a fine, he's not even going to sit a game. FFS.

Sooooo yer saying Hyman got jobbed? :D

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes at MLSE but I find even the toughest of customers seem to lose their edge a little bit playing for the “Yankees of the NHL.”
I think part of it is seeing them excited to play here a few times a year vs. nightly. They can't always play at that level.

I think another portion is the varying standards we get. Different eyes set different responses when you're guaranteed penalties and suspensions

Reactions: The Apologist

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
What about when Dubois hit Kerfoot in the head or does that just get brushed off?

Is Perros stil in charge of the NHL safety committee? Kind of ironic to leave a guy in charge thats had one too many punches to the head. He clearly doesn't know what the f*** he's doing. And I'm not even complaining about the Hyman $5k fine, but do your job right

There's a sliding scale for infractions against Leaf players.... is Kadri still getting suspended for minor things?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
This should serve as proof that the maximum fine amount for this type of incident needs to be raised in the next CBA. That was really bad by Hyman, intentional or not. Since Hyman is a non-repeat offender I agree with him not getting suspended, although this comes really close, but I still think he should be docked a game's pay for what he did.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
What would be the intent of swinging a stick in the manner of a weapon?

Yeah I'm not arguing the stick swing was okay. Where he clipped him I don't think was the intent.

He turned and yes it was a tomohawk but I think he thought he'd clip him on his hands. If you look at it in slow motion the guy is extending his arms out as Hyman comes down with his stick. Also just before that the guy two handed Hyman with a slash.

Hyman was probably trying to slash his hands or arm. Yeah not the best idea. I don't think he was trying to take his head off though.

You've played sports right? (not trying to be condescending, I'm honestly asking) Have you ever been engaged in a physical sport where aggression is happening and you go over the top? Did you see what happened prior to the incident?

Again not saying its the best thing he can do there obviously... but playing in the top hockey league with the best players and the way Hyman plays the game... these things do unfortunately happen.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The NHL is in the business to make money. The refs are paid by the NHL. The Leafs sell themselves. The refereeing is weighed by how much teams need to make money.
Kerry Frazer did a HUGE service to Bettman and the league by allowing a southern NHL team to go to the finals over the Leafs. If the Leafs go to the finals, who cares?
If L.A. goes to the finals, it's a huge promotion to a lucrative TV contract. The League has never been fair, look at the salary cap which doesn't adjust for provincial or state
taxes. You're going to see teams like Tampa Bay and Florida take advantage of a few extra million of after-taxes cap space when signing players.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I think it was a reflexive reaction.

If someone tried to haul me down in front of the net, and then came after me with a two-hander with his stick across my back and hit me with his stick on my legs like he was Barry Bonds going downtown, I would have carved him up with my stick just to prevent what comes next.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

How much was Pionk's fine? $15,000? He came after Hyman three times; instigated things; and had time to think about it.

Reactions: Burnie97

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I think it was a reflexive reaction.

If someone tried to haul me down in front of the net, and then came after me with a two-hander with his stick across my back and hit me with his stick on my legs like he was Barry Bonds going downtown, I would have carved him up with my stick just to prevent what comes next.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

How much was Pionk's fine? $15,000? He came after Hyman three times; instigated things; and had time to think about it.

I guess the man could only take so much abuse as crosschecks/slash from behind. Definitely heat of the moment and a bad judgement on Zach's part (uncharacteristic) and deserved to be fined.

What kills me is the overreaction on the "Two-Handed Tomahawk Chop" by Hyman. Not surprised at all that he isn't suspended. Like c'mon now, I thought Hyman's swing was in SLO-MO that barely made any contact :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad