GDT: Hyenas visit the Rangers (5 p.m. MT/Sportsnet)

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Shesterkin going for the empty net on a 1-0 game. That's f***ing ballsy but I respect it lol.

Reactions: Tofveve

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Never having to see Hanifin on a 6-on-5 again will be another advantage of trading him

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
We won one 6v5 this season! One!!!

Didn't like our game today but it was decent ish.... Shame Zary couldn't convert and we lost Pelletier most likely.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
superman-super-meh.gif

Hope Pelletier is back sooner than later.

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
Bah. I had this one circled on the calendar as a loss but hoped we'd strike pay dirt again. Took rags -1.5 halfway through first. Felt unsustainable 'tending wise. Got lucky w the en but feel disappointed ofc. We're good at getting right there in on the leaderboard but dying on the last hole.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Thankfully not many goalies better than Markstrom this season. But it goes to show if we are up against a goalie as hot as him, we're probably losing.

I thought the Kadri line was really solid, our best line tonight. Backlund line did their job. Huberdeau line was invisible honestly. When they're on they are our most dynamic line offensively. But they don't bring much else to the table in terms of defensive ability or play driving, so if they don't generate anything they're pretty ineffective.

Overall, exciting for a 1-0 game. The goaltending battle was awesome.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Flames started the game with their brains switched off and didn't really switch on until they were behind, but they carried the game after that.

Hated everything about that first period except for Marky. Everything from failing to defend obvious plays to falling for obvious defensive traps to Pelts not protecting himself on the hit... brutal.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Whatever. I'll take 6/8 points on that roadtrip. You could see that they didn't have that little extra to give in this one but I thought they deserved a pt at least.
Still played a tight one against a contender in their arena. Too soft though, Trouba on Pelletier was a clean hit and I don't need someone to go fight him but at least play the rest of the game making that guy shoulder check if he takes out your rookie. Couple occasions where Coleman, Backlund, or Kadri could have finished him into the boards and they didn't.

Really good - Markstrom, another very solid performance from our #1G. Don't think the Flames should trade him at all if they're real keen on this retool route rather than the full rebuild. You look at the teams that never dig their way out of the basement and they all have shit instable goaltending. I think he's a really solid vet for Wolf to learn from and lean on. Zary was also quality, only guy who seemed able to make plays.

Good - Mangiapane some good jump, just ice cold shooting wise. Shooting well under his career average this season. Kylington I liked, had a couple nice rushes up ice. That penalty was crap. Pachal also decent, although some questionable pinches. Weegar was moving the puck well, should be him on PP1. Pospisil and Duehr were skating well, not able to get anything done offensively really. Huberdeau the only guy worth a damn on his line this game.

Not bad - Ras was OK, had a couple looks. Struggled in transition being caught up ice several times. Kadri hit the net guy holy f***, high and wide and wide and high. Rooney? fine i dunno he played definitely

Not good - Sharangovich not a quality center game from him, didn't stay high and skated himself into coverage again and again. Hanifin needed to do more than stand there and watch on the 1st GA. Bad giveaway for the EN but it was done anyway. Backlund underwater all game and unable to break out.

Bad - Kuzmenko, not brutal or anything but beaten off the puck basically every time he had it. Throwing pucks away to no one every other time. Coleman looked exhausted, probably from carrying this team in the first half. Tanev was terrible, like he could barely move. Much like he looked at the start of the season. If Conroy can get a 1st for him he will have pulled off a miracle.

wonder who gets the call up once they announce Pelts is out for a while again. Based on this game Klapka would be my choice. Not enough beef in the lineup.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Whatever. I'll take 6/8 points on that roadtrip. You could see that they didn't have that little extra to give in this one but I thought they deserved a pt at least.
Still played a tight one against a contender in their arena. Too soft though, Trouba on Pelletier was a clean hit and I don't need someone to go fight him but at least play the rest of the game making that guy shoulder check if he takes out your rookie. Couple occasions where Coleman, Backlund, or Kadri could have finished him into the boards and they didn't.
Ultimately this is the DoPS doing its job. The players likely weren't sure they could make a clean hit so they had to hold up.

This is why top players rarely get blasted, though. You are absolutely able to control how easy you are to hit. Pelts needs to do a far better job if he wants a career.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Ultimately this is the DoPS doing its job. The players likely weren't sure they could make a clean hit so they had to hold up.

This is why top players rarely get blasted, though. You are absolutely able to control how easy you are to hit. Pelts needs to do a far better job if he wants a career.

Yeah maybe. I dunno I think they just didn't want to get butt ended in the mouth. Doing fly bys and not finishing checks just doesn't sit well with me.

Definitely concerning for Pelts, I had a car accident a couple years ago at work and f***ed up my shoulder and some days it still freezes up. Especially if I threw a ball or did anything over my head the day before. He'll have spent basically a whole season rehabbing now if he's out for an extended period. Not what you want for your 22 year old season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad