Hutton/Stecher/Tryamkin

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
They all max out as a second pair dmen.

Stecher will get pp time to boost his minutes.
Same with Hutton.
Tryamkin is the wildcard. If he continues to improve his conditioning and plays with more of an edge, he can be very prominent for the team in a defensive capacity.

This is why I favor holding onto tanev, unless the return is too good to pass up.

Edler, gudbranson, scisba, I'm okay to move.

Exactly.

Tryamkin can still learn to shoot better. He's got SO much leverage!

A new scheme and Coach will improve stats for a lot of these guys. That said, I don't think the defense is as awkward as the forward group is for the incoming Coach (if they find one).

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I'm keeping Tryamkin and want to see what he developes into.

Hutton and Stecher I don't see as core pieces moving forward.

Trade bait used to catch the bigger fish IMHO

Yggdrasil

Oct 30, 2015
Hutton - Great top four offensive defenseman who isn't elite at any particular thing but a minute eater who's a great team guy.

Stetcher - First pairing offensive defenseman like Torey Krug. Huge potential.

Tryamkin - I have been a fan of this kid since he first appeared on my radar when he was floating around in the MHL. There's something very very special with this kid. I see him being a frightening defensive defenseman for a few seasons before he finally puts together and turns into an top pairing defenseman. He'll probably never have an elite shot like Pronger or Chara but he'll be a top echelon physical top pairing two-way defenseman.

actually i do believe he can acquire an elite shot, his shot right now is very hard, fast and INACCURATE. it has alot to do with his stance + confidence as being a rookie so he needs training to one of the best slappers in the league. Al Infrate and some other guy i forgot.

i truly believe he can be better than chara at his prime when he is at his prime that being said if he does indeed train very hard and maxes his potential ! biggest wildcard player we got by far.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Hutton's upside seems like a Hamhuis or Elder type #3 guy

Stetcher really reminds me of Ehrhoff when he was here.

Tryamkin.. If he develops a slapper and a mean streak? Chara/Pronger upside.

Let's see how close to their potential they manage to get.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Off the top of my head, here is what I think:

Tryamkin: I think Tryamkin is the real deal. I think he'll be good 2nd pairing defenseman at minimum, with possible 1st pairing potential. I haven't ruled out superstardom for Tryamkin. I am THAT high on him.

Hutton: I like Hutton, but I'm not sure if he's going to get to the level that we need him to be at. I don't see him panning out unfortunately, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Stetcher: Stetcher is on the fence for me, but I think he'll develop into a solid 2nd pairing guy. The kid has spunk and is a competitor. I think he'll end up being semi-decent, and will find his niche on the Power Play.

Out of these 3 guys however, Tryamkin is the one who I think will be a long term fixture. I see Tryamkin being our Bo Horvat on defense.

I knew there would be somebody who's opinion matched mine exactly. +1 to all three analysis, -1 to the t in Stetcher.

Holy ****, a LOT of people are spelling Stecher's name wrong.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Eh...it's nice that we've got some promising young defencemen in the mix here. But realistically...none of them really project as top-pairing/top matchup defencemen.

Hutton has mostly just drowned under tougher matchups. He's still fairly young and developing, but the defensive savvy just doesn't really seem to be there. Appears far more within his element in softer matchups.

Stecher is more stable defensively, but his size is always going to be a bit of a liability when it comes to matching up against opposing top forwards - especially bigger/heavier top forwards.

Tryamkin brings an important physical element and can be an imposing presence, but i think his footspeed probably always holds him back from being a prime matchup defenceman. Though perhaps with the right partner (ie. A Tanev)...he can get to a serviceable place in that regard. :dunno:

I don't think you can outright black Gudbranson out of this picture either. I think some people are getting a bit overly carried away with a 30 game sample of Gudbranson with a gimpy-wrist, playing with a drowning sophomore partner who was in way over his head, in excessively tough minutes in the absence of Tanev. He's not magically going to start piling up points or become a top-pairing stud. But he's still in the right age range to be viable for a rebuild (roughly the same as Hutton), and can provide ~20 defensive and PK minutes a night for a playoff team alongside the right partner. :dunno:

But what we have there, looks largely like a nice collection of 3/4/5 types on an ideally deep Cup Contending blueline. We're still really looking for those absolutely critical 1-2 pieces to anchor the whole blueline. At the very least, a top matchup defenceman or two. Awfully big shoes that need filling.

There's Tanev, but unless his durability improves (uncommon as players and accrue more wear and tear)...he may not be the player he is today, when we come clear on the other side of this rebuild process.

I think you have to hope that Juolevi can eventually fill one of those shoes. Be that as a Vlasic or Hamhuis circa our Cup Run type. That's what he was drafted so highly to do. That's the hope.

But we're still missing at least one huge piece there. Even if we go with more of a "defence by committee" approach, 3-pairings deep a la our Cup Run before the Bruins demolished our depth back there.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Eh...it's nice that we've got some promising young defencemen in the mix here. But realistically...none of them really project as top-pairing/top matchup defencemen.

Hutton has mostly just drowned under tougher matchups. He's still fairly young and developing, but the defensive savvy just doesn't really seem to be there. Appears far more within his element in softer matchups.

Stecher is more stable defensively, but his size is always going to be a bit of a liability when it comes to matching up against opposing top forwards - especially bigger/heavier top forwards.

Tryamkin brings an important physical element and can be an imposing presence, but i think his footspeed probably always holds him back from being a prime matchup defenceman. Though perhaps with the right partner (ie. A Tanev)...he can get to a serviceable place in that regard. :dunno:

I don't think you can outright black Gudbranson out of this picture either. I think some people are getting a bit overly carried away with a 30 game sample of Gudbranson with a gimpy-wrist, playing with a drowning sophomore partner who was in way over his head, in excessively tough minutes in the absence of Tanev. He's not magically going to start piling up points or become a top-pairing stud. But he's still in the right age range to be viable for a rebuild (roughly the same as Hutton), and can provide ~20 defensive and PK minutes a night for a playoff team alongside the right partner. :dunno:

But what we have there, looks largely like a nice collection of 3/4/5 types on an ideally deep Cup Contending blueline. We're still really looking for those absolutely critical 1-2 pieces to anchor the whole blueline. At the very least, a top matchup defenceman or two. Awfully big shoes that need filling.

There's Tanev, but unless his durability improves (uncommon as players and accrue more wear and tear)...he may not be the player he is today, when we come clear on the other side of this rebuild process.

I think you have to hope that Juolevi can eventually fill one of those shoes. Be that as a Vlasic or Hamhuis circa our Cup Run type. That's what he was drafted so highly to do. That's the hope.

But we're still missing at least one huge piece there. Even if we go with more of a "defence by committee" approach, 3-pairings deep a la our Cup Run before the Bruins demolished our depth back there.

I'd agree with all of that. All of the young Dmen are flawed in someway or another, 3-6s. Joulevi could well end up as Stecher's defensive partner and Hutton Tryamkin. Those 4 fill out the bottom 3-6 positions very well, good balance but 1st pairing is very short by NHL standards. A franchise Dman+Tanev gets us there.

any got a spare franchise Dman?

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Juolevi might be the most important piece. Also there has been rumors of us trading a D (including Hutton, Edler, and Tanev) so its possible our core D include someone else. Plus Gudbranson is only 25 and considering what we gave up for him last year, i'm guessing he'll be here for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad