Recalled/Assigned: Hutchinson recalled from Marlies

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
I guess Sparks thinking only about next year was more accurate than we thought.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Why? What difference would it make NOW? If Andy gets hurt in the playoffs, we are ****ed either way.

If Columbus wins tonight, I think you might see a whole lot of guys resting Saturday since last night was a good tune up game.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sounds to me like Sparks might be day to day with something? What a weird move to make with 1 game left in the season.

Reactions: Tall Morty

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
If Columbus wins tonight, I think you might see a whole lot of guys resting Saturday since last night was a good tune up game.

Babs said Freddy was going in on Saturday - has this changed?

They had one more call up available at their disposal, Hutch is by far the #1 with the Marlies, so odd that this happens now.

Obviously if Freddy goes down, we're screwed anyways; must be nice for the B's to have a quality backup like Halak in case he's needed!

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Didn't they confirm Andy will start that game too?

Yes, but I'm talking about the rest of the roster. Babcock already said Kadri and Muzzin aren't playing so why not rest more roster players? Andersen should start since it'll be a 5 day break regardless.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Yes, but I'm talking about the rest of the roster. Babcock already said Kadri and Muzzin aren't playing so why not rest more roster players? Andersen should start since it'll be a 5 day break regardless.

How does that relate to Hutch being called up? Does Sparks need a rest from charting faceoff on the bench?

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
How does that relate to Hutch being called up? Does Sparks need a rest from charting faceoff on the bench?

Maybe sparks is starting saturday and they're resting anderen. IDK. It's a weird callup.

It's not an emergency call up though.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Let's hope it has nothing to do with Freddy's health and everything to do with how Sparks is playing.

Can't be worse than Sparks (I hope). I mean he's looked better than him earlier on this season.

Comparing NHL games between goaltenders (as Leafs)

Hutchinson
5 games played, 2 wins, 3 losses 0.914 SV%, 2.64 GAA

Sparks
20 games played, 8 wins, 9 losses 0.902 SV%, 3.15 GAA

Really small sample size for Hutchinson and difficult to say who is better for the Leafs. At least Hutchinson doesn't look as shakey in net as Sparks does.

Sparks has better AHL numbers but clearly AHL and NHL goaltenders don't always translate well.

Would like to beat the Habs Saturday but wouldn't mind an extra look at Hutchinson Saturday. ALTHOUGH they probably should've called him up earlier to have extra look at him.

Reactions: zaqq

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Maybe sparks is starting saturday and they're resting anderen. IDK. It's a weird callup.

It's not an emergency call up though.

Do we know that, though?

I'd be thrilled if it's just Babcock and Dubas deciding that Sparks isn't the right guy to have, even on the bench. Because I'd feel better with Hutch backing up Andersen. If there's even a small or temporary injury, or if Andy gets pulled in a game, I don't want Sparks to go in the net.

It happens all the time that a goalie gets pulled, or can't finish a game. Remember Luongo's long bathroom break in the playoffs? Or maybe Andy gets his bell rung and has to go through concussion protocol? I feel like Hutch would keep us afloat.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Do we know that, though?

I'd be thrilled if it's just Babcock and Dubas deciding that Sparks isn't the right guy to have, even on the bench. Because I'd feel better with Hutch backing up Andersen. If there's even a small or temporary injury, or if Andy gets pulled in a game, I don't want Sparks to go in the net.

It happens all the time that a goalie gets pulled, or can't finish a game. Remember Luongo's long bathroom break in the playoffs? Or maybe Andy gets his bell rung and has to go through concussion protocol? I feel like Hutch would keep us afloat.

Makes sense to use this as a callup before the playoffs.

He was always going to be the starter if Andersen was out for a game anyways.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yes me as well. This call up allows Hutch to play or back up with out needing an injury to a goalie and be only an emergency call up. Or at least this is my belief.

If I had to guess, he'll be the press box goalie, and emergency starter if needed.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Better off using Hutchinson as the backup during playoffs. I have 0 confidence in Sparks (as do most people).

Hutchinson's last start wasn't good (he was pulled) although none of the goals were cheapies. He has been good lately (7-2 in his last 9 starts).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad