GDT: Hurricanes vs Hawks 4/14/24 5pm Nbc sports Chicago (Final home game)

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Everytime people act like that, I think back to this poll.

Where adding up votes. 3/4ths of this boards voters wanted to miss the chance to get Bedard...

It's not that I want the team to be bad. It's about long term focus.

And by all signs, Davidson seems to still be following that 3-5 year rebuild plan and not doing some sudden shift in direction, some like you seem to want. I want the team to stick to building up slowly, the Avs, Tampa, or Hawks of old had that more slow build up. Some seem to want quick rushes to a point where you aren't adding enough potential elite talent. Like wanting to be like Toronto/Edmonton/Buffalo...(even Buffalo tried being good as soon as Eichel/Reinhart were there together. They add Kane,Oreilly,Okposo, etc.)

To me, the way to rebuild is not want those bad rush jobs. You mention Celebrini, now that the Hawks are locked to 2nd last, it's better long term possibility to not get Celebrini. That means they can't win the lottery the next 3 years. Maybe they are 5th/6th worse and win it next year or after. Those are better future goals, but that part is unlikely with a what, 5% chance, not worth going on about.
So let me get this straight. You want to play crappy vets, get blown out every night for the next three years, which will create a great culture? I guess Bedard, Nazar and Celebrini isn’t enough elite talent for you.

You’re a lunatic. If the kids are ready let them play. That’s not rushing anything, that playing your damn talent that you’ve accrued. I didn’t say go sign every free agent to bloated deals.

And I also didn’t mention wins and losses, which you’ve conveniently left out. I said improvement. To make this an acceptable NHL level hockey team. And that could mean another bottom 5 pick! But more often than not, the games should at least be competitive, which they currently aren’t.

Also, that nonsense about not wanting Celebrini because we could have a low percentage of winning a lottery down the line? Absolutely asinine. One in hand is worth two in the bush.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
So let me get this straight. You want to play crappy vets, get blown out every night for the next three years, which will create a great culture? I guess Bedard, Nazar and Celebrini isn’t enough elite talent for you.

You’re a lunatic. If the kids are ready let them play. That’s not rushing anything, that playing your damn talent that you’ve accrued. I didn’t say go sign every free agent to bloated deals.

And I also didn’t mention wins and losses, which you’ve conveniently left out. I said improvement. To make this an acceptable NHL level hockey team. And that could mean another bottom 5 pick! But more often than not, the games should at least be competitive, which they currently aren’t.

Also, that nonsense about not wanting Celebrini because we could have a low percentage of winning a lottery down the line? Absolutely asinine. One in hand is worth two in the bush.

Yeah. This isn't NHL 24 where you can just sim through 3-4 rebuild years and be rewarded with can't miss, franchise players.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
You're a bit too hopeful in this massive overhaul.

The ambition isn't to be good next year still. Who is filling out the 4th lines and ahl tweeter spots? Several of these guys still
They showed a bunch of first year bantams on Mission in the crowd. They would be better than half the plugs on the current roster. And they practice at Fifth Third already.

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The problem with the idea of just being the suckiest sucks to have ever sucked for years on end is that the talent you do acquire might not want to remain here.

Let the players have fun and try to be good and hope for lotto luck for draft day and developmental luck for what follows.

And remember, even if we were the worst team in history, the odds to land first overall would still be against us.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
They have to start bringing in a few quality NHL players. This isn’t the NBA or NFL where top picks can come in and be stars right away, it’s rare when that happens in the NHL. We need some quality vets to blend in with these young kids, Bedard needs some guys to play with who can put the puck in the net. That is not going for it all they way in free agency, it’s giving the young guys some players they can learn from and at least experience some success. This getting outshot by 20 plus shots every game and needing the goalie to stand on his head just to be semi competitive needs to stop, it is not helping the cause.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
They have to start bringing in a few quality NHL players. This isn’t the NBA or NFL where top picks can come in and be stars right away, it’s rare when that happens in the NHL. We need some quality vets to blend in with these young kids, Bedard needs some guys to play with who can put the puck in the net. That is not going for it all they way in free agency, it’s giving the young guys some players they can learn from and at least experience some success. This getting outshot by 20 plus shots every game and needing the goalie to stand on his head just to be semi competitive needs to stop, it is not helping the cause.
And the post that I made that started this conversation, there was not one quality vet among them.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Couldn’t agree more. Yzerman has it right in Detroit. Everyone was dogging his offseason but they added some short/mid term deals to supplement their young core.

I’ll be angry if they run this AHL/4th line squad again next season.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Couldn’t agree more. Yzerman has it right in Detroit. Everyone was dogging his offseason but they added some short/mid term deals to supplement their young core.

I’ll be angry if they run this AHL/4th line squad again next season.
And so will the young guys. You think rookies want to go out there with guys like Tinordi, Entwistle, etc.?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
BTW...in the last dozen games now after this loss...Mr.Generational has ONE goal...ONLY 1 goal in last dozen games !!!

Yes he has some assits in helping Kurashev score..but still "The SHOT" has been in sparse evidence last dozen games ...he has NOT played inspiring defending either. ...now -41 for the season.. Did not think he played well tonight ..He just seemspff and wishing maybe seson was already over...the grind and the losing may have taken from his joy of pkaying...or he never recovered fully from his injury..either reason the game seems harder for him ..not fun anymore ..he just looks like just another guy shoved off to the perimeter.. not attacking the net with gusto like earlier this season. Not breaking through the clog or skating past checkers ...looksvkije just another (inconsequential guy who cannot imoact
bigtime like earlier this season..to me he has just been fizzling out the season.

Disappointing to see this.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

3 more years want that, no, but I don't expect them to be a playoff team in any of that time.

Not wanting a Entwistle, Blackwell, or Megma back for equal equivalent talents doesn't mean much. Some will be back and be ahl-nhl back n forth talent. It's not so terrible in another year without a big focus in anything but development.

I am altaken a back people think Detroit is on the right path. They have Larkin another 5 years probably strong. Seider & Raymond... but is Kasper going to be high end? Or some other prospects? The hope is you get 4-5 elite like talents. No they don't all have to be from the draft. But Detroit is a prime example of what I wouldnt want for the Hawks. They tried to be too good too soon in my estimation. I don't see a future consistent contender building there because of that

Last edited:

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
3 more years want that, no, but I don't expect them to be a playoff team in any of that time.

Not wanting a Entwistle, Blackwell, or Megma back for equal equivalent talents doesn't mean much. Some will be back and be ahl-nhl back n forth talent. It's not so terrible in another year without a big focus in anything but development.

I am altaken a back people think Detroit is on the right path. They have Larkin another 5 years probably strong. Spider & Raymond... but is Kasper going to be high end? Or some other prospects? The hope is you get 4-5 elite like talents. No they don't all have to be from the draft. But Detroit is a prime example of what I wouldnt want for the Hawks. They tried to be too good too soon in my estimation. I don't see a future consistent contender building there because of that
I wouldn't underestimate Stevie Y as a GM.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

I am altaken a back people think Detroit is on the right path. They have Larkin another 5 years probably strong. Spider & Raymond... but is Kasper going to be high end? Or some other prospects? The hope is you get 4-5 elite like talents. No they don't all have to be from the draft. But Detroit is a prime example of what I wouldnt want for the Hawks. They tried to be too good too soon in my estimation. I don't see a future consistent contender building there because of that

Speaking of strawmen....

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
BTW...in the last dozen games now after this loss...Mr.Generational has ONE goal...ONLY 1 goal in last dozen games !!!

Yes he has some assits in helping Kurashev score..but still "The SHOT" has been in sparse evidence last dozen games ...he has NOT played inspiring defending either. ...now -41 for the season.. Did not think he played well tonight ..He just seemspff and wishing maybe seson was already over...the grind and the losing may have taken from his joy of pkaying...or he never recovered fully from his injury..either reason the game seems harder for him ..not fun anymore ..he just looks like just another guy shoved off to the perimeter.. not attacking the net with gusto like earlier this season. Not breaking through the clog or skating past checkers ...looksvkije just another (inconsequential guy who cannot imoact
bigtime like earlier this season..to me he has just been fizzling out the season.

Disappointing to see this.
You mean the 18 year old in his first NHL season playing against the best players in the world, grown men, straight from juniors, playing more games then ever, who plays with straight garbage for teammates? Dude, there are way more significant things to moan about

Reactions: Geoist and Pez68

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

It’s year 5 of Yzerman’s run in Detroit. What’re they supposed to do just keep on tanking? I don’t think they’re better off now or in the future by drafting 7th-10th again. Have their young stars learn to play semi-meaningful hockey.

It’s gotta be much much better for them. Being a shit team year in and year out until you draft potential superstars doesn’t really work. If KD has the Hawks this bad another 2-3 years after this one then he’s doing a terrible job. Gotta make the leap eventually. Things aren’t going to magically fall into place either. You never know how good or bad a draft class will be and you have to get lucky regardless. This is probably the worst Hawks team I’ve ever watched and we’re still way more likely to pick 4th than we are to pick 1st or 2nd.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
What are these rebuilds that magically go from full tear-down to playoff contender in 2-3 years? The only one I can think of is the Leafs, and that was only 2-3 years if you ignore the decade they picked in the top ten beforehand when they were trying to win.

There's nobody worth blowing cap space on in free agency. If you want to add quality players, it has to be guys in the pipeline or through trades involving picks and prospects going out.

I'd be ringing up OTT, CGY, STL, NYI, WSH, PIT about some of the guys they have signed, as all of them are going to have itchy trigger fingers to make moves this off-season.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It’s year 5 of Yzerman’s run in Detroit. What’re they supposed to do just keep on tanking? I don’t think they’re better off now or in the future by drafting 7th-10th again. Have their young stars learn to play semi-meaningful hockey.

It’s gotta be much much better for them. Being a shit team year in and year out until you draft potential superstars doesn’t really work. If KD has the Hawks this bad another 2-3 years after this one then he’s doing a terrible job. Gotta make the leap eventually. Things aren’t going to magically fall into place either. You never know how good or bad a draft class will be and you have to get lucky regardless. This is probably the worst Hawks team I’ve ever watched and we’re still way more likely to pick 4th than we are to pick 1st or 2nd.
I think the long term picture may of looked better if they did stay at least, not trying to sign vets to improve as much as they did. I was never a Yzerman praiser in Tampa either, they did turn out when Bresibois decided to go all-out. But I felt Tampa could of been in that phase for 3 years before too.

There are times to be in certain phases. I know this Hawks team is awful and terrible. I think Davidson rightly is still going to see next season as still 1 more year of this phase. Then start thinking major improvements

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
The Hawks rebuild will succeed because they don’t have to hit on every prospect like an Edmonton does. Chicago is an O6 destination. For example, if the Hawks can take care of the center and 3/4th of the top 4D they will always find scoring wingers in free agency.

I expect playoffs in 25-26.

Reactions: Pez68

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I understand both sides of the argument but bare minimum you have to do your best to add a top six forward next year for Bedard to play with. Which is obviously easier said than done.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
I understand both sides of the argument but bare minimum you have to do your best to add a top six forward next year for Bedard to play with. Which is obviously easier said than done.
Taylor Hall will help

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
You only tank or bottom out on purpose to get a Bedard like talent, in the rare event they are available

That part is done. The problem with Detroits rebuild is they didn’t acquire a Stanley Cup caliber top line C. You can find top line wingers in trades. Number one D is rare as well. Ideally we draft a top D this year who can be the guy when our Window is open and the length of Bedards prime.

In Detroit’s case they acquired two first line wingers in the past year alone. Get that D who can take over as Jones ages and forms a nucleus with Vlasic, Korch and Jones on the backend for the next half decade plus.

I would have no issue signing a guy like Bertuzzi for 4-5 years at 27. A guy like Marchessault 3. Could over pay Marchessault to get it done. Need to bring in talent to get this team competitive. Even with a marked improvement this team will be in the 75-80 point range, which is still a top 10 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad