GDT: Hurricanes v Flyers

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Isolating this comment because its absolutely spot on. Its been a recurring theme for how teams are capable of shutting us down in the playoffs under the current run, and now even some bad teams are able to employ it in the regular season and having a concerning level of success with it.
This also isn't a new problem. When we lost to Seattle last year, they pretty much showed a blueprint on how to beat Carolina. I mean they block shots like their lives depended on it and we got nothing through and did not really have an answer for changing. I think the problem is that we have too many of the similar type of player and when we run up against those teams we can not switch up. And if a couch coach like me can see it, you best believe RBA already knew it. Perhaps the players to fit that style are not that easy to acquire.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t see a lack of effort, at least more so than the normal ebb and flow. Aho has always “disappeared” from time to time. Sometimes from that kind of game he sneaks up on people and still gets his pts but I feel every year of his career I’ve said something about him not being noticeable for the role he plays on occasion. He’s a small guy, it’s hard for him to take on the world one v one and it’s not his game anyways. He always works his way out.

Necas rarely doesn’t work. He’s the example of not working smarter than harder more than anything else. When things go wrong he tries to carry the world on his shoulders to help out, he knows he’s the dynamic puck carrier of the team. The timing of his plays were off last night, like a lot of guys were. This is why Rod leans on the Staal line so much. They play the same game every night and works the same on everyone. I was floored he moved Fast off it. I can only imagine that Fast is banged up but doesn’t want to come out of the lineup, and with Rod being Rod that attitude was respected and the adjustment is that Fast just plays less minutes.

Every year we go through periods where our chemistry is off and have to get back to basics, remind ourselves how we play. We always come out of it so I have no real issues yet. The defense has an incomplete feel to it and the goaltending has been all over the place. These things should settle down at some point. We just need to make the playoffs.

We also got outplayed at our own game last night. A younger, hungrier team outworked us at what we do well. We’re a target to every up and comer. They get up for the games, and I think we’re banged up and lacking a little confidence.

As always it’s one game, and we’re one game away from thinking everything is fine. I do think we need a bit of a reset and maybe a little rest for some guys who are banged up.

The spam shots vs quality opportunities concept has always been interesting with us. Spam shots get blocked easier imo.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
That is rough.

As far as the eye test Necas looks like he's giving a lot more effort than Aho right now. Aho is caught flat skated....waving his stick hoping to knock the puck away and not engaging.

Necas is zooming around, trying to carry the puck, stickhandle, and draw people to him. I've actually seen him use his body a bit this season too. Don't get me wrong...I think Necas is an adventure....but I think he's showing more effort than Aho this season.

I also don't think we're utilizing Necas skill set the most in our system. He does a good job going e-w or looping around the zone and making the defense spin in a counter clockwise rotation or drawing people to him to look for the open man (Spoiler he's not exactly playing with snipers who can utilize his passing). He's also good off the rush but we hardly see him cheating or leaving the zone early for stretch passes to use his speed.

This team could've really used even a Toffoli type guy. Just a shooter who can get to soft spots and let it rip.

Other random thoughts (some others mentioned)
*The defense somehow looked better /w Pesce out. Not sure if it's 100% on pairings or is Chat close to what Pesce is these days?
*The team has no answer to teams that want to clog up the center and keep them to the outside and block shots. We see it a lot in the playoffs. The options are either to be big and power to the center of the ice. The Canes don't have the personnel for this or to generate more off the rush/counter which is counter to Rod's system. So either RBA needs to get more flexible or the personnel need to change.
*When in a rut at least engaging physically can help get you back into the game. Very few people on the Canes are willing to take this tact. Svech's hit lit a small fire and gained some momentum. Bunting has been less physical than expected. Orlov looked for some hits the first few games then mellowed out quickly. Not sure why? Noesen also shows a fire and is willing to engage.
*Jarvis has not been good. He needs to go to the 4th line with Drury. Turbo, Noesen, or even Martinook are more deserving of his minutes right now.
*The pp was a letdown last night.
*It doesn't feel like anyone on the team is stepping up and trying to take over games...other than Necas or Coconut...but when Necas tries to do too much it back fires.
*Svech could take longer than expected to get going. He has passed up some pretty clear shooting opportunities for bad passes that lead to turnovers. He just needs to hit and shoot and once something good happens he will start to find his game.
*The team as a whole seems to lack chemistry or something intangible.
Great summary post and one that deserved a note versus just a “like”.

Physicality/lack of continue to be concerning. On the team, only Martinook & surprisingly Staal has hit consistently this year with Jarvis also occasionally throwing a hit (he gets hit more). Front office recognized that when they tried for Tkachuk (we wouldn’t have Necas right now but would it really hurt us 5x5???).

On D, no one is hitting at all (Orlov has on occasion but then finds himself out of position), Burns-zip, Skjei limited (doesn’t want to get hurt and lose out on next contract??), Pesce (been hurt, doesn’t hit anyway and now also needs to be careful for new contract), TDA (post scrum only hitting guy), Chatfield (doesn’t have size).

Re: Necas—mind boggling…so much speed and talent. I was a keep at all costs kind of guy but now (Brindy system problem or not) am in favor of using him as a trade asset.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I was curious to see what starts champs have gotten off to in the post-lockout era:

YearCup WinnerRecord After 20
05-06Carolina14-5-1
06-07Anaheim13-2-5
07-08Detroit14-5-1
08-09Pittsburgh12-5-3
09-10Chicago13-5-2
10-11Boston12-6-2
11-12Los Angeles10-7-3
13Chicago17-0-3
13-14Los Angeles13-6-1
14-15Chicago12-7-1
15-16Pittsburgh12-8-0
16-17Pittsburgh12-5-3
17-18Washington10-9-1
18-19St. Louis7-10-3
19-20Tampa11-7-2
21Tampa15-4-1
21-22Colorado12-7-1
22-23Vegas15-4-1

Several great starts, but several meh as well. There's even a horrendous one in there (St. Louis).

Pittsburgh 09, L.A. 12 and St. Louis all changed coaches in season; that catalyst is not happening in this case. Washington and Tampa 20 simply figured it out without any major change.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I was curious to see what starts champs have gotten off to in the post-lockout era:

YearCup WinnerRecord After 20
05-06Carolina14-5-1
06-07Anaheim13-2-5
07-08Detroit14-5-1
08-09Pittsburgh12-5-3
09-10Chicago13-5-2
10-11Boston12-6-2
11-12Los Angeles10-7-3
13Chicago17-0-3
13-14Los Angeles13-6-1
14-15Chicago12-7-1
15-16Pittsburgh12-8-0
16-17Pittsburgh12-5-3
17-18Washington10-9-1
18-19St. Louis7-10-3
19-20Tampa11-7-2
21Tampa15-4-1
21-22Colorado12-7-1
22-23Vegas15-4-1

Several great starts, but several meh as well. There's even a horrendous one in there (St. Louis).

Pittsburgh 09, L.A. 12 and St. Louis all changed coaches in season; that catalyst is not happening in this case. Washington and Tampa 20 simply figured it out without any major change.
"that catalyst is not happening in this case"

Agreed, but with his contract expiring this year is he a sure thing for extension?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I kinda wonder if the team got a little high on their own supply with all the “cup favorite” articles that came out over the summer. Like I’m sure they try to ignore all that stuff but there’s no way they are completely unaware or immune to it.

Tortorella style teams also are really tough for the canes to crack as others have stated. The canes want point shots and torts has always been happy to let you have them, they’ll just be into a wall of skaters

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Dundon basically said he'd be the coach as long he still wants the job. Don't have an exact quote at the moment, but I remember reading it.
True but……
1) you don’t know if RBA would want to continue coaching & perhaps would want a break
2) owners are prone to changing directions.

Not saying it’s going to happen but until that contract is extended and signed it’s an open issue worth watching.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Rod isn't the problem.
Rod’s definitely not the main issue. But I do think some of the stubbornness could be effecting certain players. You don’t use a finishing hammer to drive a railroad spike, and you don’t use a sledgehammer to drive a finishing nail.

You can’t coach a Necas the same way you coach a Martinook or Staal. For me at least, when I look at some of the best teams of the modern era they’re versatile, well rounded teams with a coaching staff and roster capable of beating their opponents in multiple ways.

Sometimes I just don’t get that same feeling with the Hurricanes.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Of course Necas is trying to do too much, like the playoffs much of last year (NJD series exception), nobody else is doing a f***ing thing other than half-assed going through the motions. Reminds me of how Skinner got shit on his final year despite looking like one of the few players who consistently gave a f*** while the rest of the team was flopping around. He's the only reason we've won more than lost bc of OT wins. He may make costly turnovers at times, but he's at least trying, which is more than I can say for the majority of the team so far this season

BabchukCanon

Jan 18, 2011
Apex, NC
Of course Necas is trying to do too much, like the playoffs much of last year (NJD series exception), nobody else is doing a f***ing thing other than half-assed going through the motions. Reminds me of how Skinner got shit on his final year despite looking like one of the few players who consistently gave a f*** while the rest of the team was flopping around. He's the only reason we've won more than lost bc of OT wins. He may make costly turnovers at times, but he's at least trying, which is more than I can say for the majority of the team so far this season
I think this is the thing I notice the most about Necas when the team around him is faltering, he just amps up the "I gotta try harder to do crazy cool stuff" thing that I wish he didn't need to do. He almost needs in those times to simplify his game instead of being I need to do Connor McDavid 1 on 4 against Rangers thing (as has happened several times in last 3 games).

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Remember what Maurice did in Winnipeg? (granted it was mid-season)
But I would not be at all surprised if Rod uses the same line and exits after the season. Just get that feeling.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Whatever happens from this point onward, one thing has to remain true:

TDA and Orlov have to be separated. I don't care how they finagle the other pairings to make it happen, but it HAS to happen. There's more than enough evidence thus far to show they don't work together.
The on thing that frustrates me about RBA is stuff like this. TDA and Orlov are a disaster. If Orlov was competent it maybe would work. TDA and Slavin were on fire. Just like Burns Slavin. I fear if we move Burns from Slavin we may have issues. Even I'd rather see TDA sit than put him with Orlov. But then your PP suffers because no one runs it like him, period. You have to find a way to separate orlov and TDA and keep TDA in the lineup. Im still a fan of 7 D and sitting someone, like say Drury. Chatfield and Orlov got picked apart in Florida just as bad as TDA / Orlov. You just lost out in TDA's passing and PP QB. Honestly I'd rather see Orlov traded for a forward (LMAO NO one is taking that contract after this performance) and TDA and Chat mixed into the lineup. Hell I think TDA / Chat is better than TDA / Orlov. We could have used that 7.6M where we needed it, instead of on a D man whos like minus 12.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We aren’t trading Orlov. He is an excellent skater and exactly what the defense needs for the rest of the season and next when Skjei gets a big 1LD contract in July.

Burns was a very solid 5 points during 5v5 in his first 24 games. Burns and Slavin werent good until December.

TDA and Burns were protected by Slavin to make them look better.

Burns is a historically slow starter on defense. While the stat isn’t great, he is a career negative player in October and November. The points are usually there.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
We aren’t trading Orlov. He is an excellent skater and exactly what the defense needs for the rest of the season and next when Skjei gets a big 1LD contract in July.

Burns was a very solid 5 points during 5v5 in his first 24 games. Burns and Slavin werent good until December.

TDA and Burns were protected by Slavin to make them look better.

Burns is a historically slow starter on defense. While the stat isn’t great, he is a career negative player in October and November. The points are usually there.
I think Burns is one of the Canes that has a nagging injury but keeps playing. I'm optimistic that we will see a better player too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad