News Article: Hurricanes smell donut

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Wrong. Frank's Bakery in Bangor, Maine (don't think it's called Frank's anymore, but that is the name I remember it by) makes the best donuts. They make a chocolate cake donut with sugared coconut topping that is just spectacular. You have to call ahead to have them reserve a dozen or two for you if you want to pick them up anytime after 8am.

Have you had both?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Wrong. Frank's Bakery in Bangor, Maine (don't think it's called Frank's anymore, but that is the name I remember it by) makes the best donuts. They make a chocolate cake donut with sugared coconut topping that is just spectacular. You have to call ahead to have them reserve a dozen or two for you if you want to pick them up anytime after 8am.

I knew I had a picture somewhere. Try not to drool on your keyboard....I know I'm having a hard time.

30291055217_e7afd2dda6_o.jpg

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Really good ketchup is a mind-blower though. I typically prefer barbecue sauce, ranch or A1 with my french fries, but if I'm at a place that makes their own ketchup from scratch? I'm all about that. The bottled supermarket stuff is tasteless by comparison.
really good ketchup is still ketchup. my friend Hans was chef of...god I forget the name of that restaurant just south of Peace on Glenwood, and he once whipped me up a bit of his fresh ketchup and it confirmed how I felt. it's just adds a bunch of nothing to the flavor of things. I'm not a hater, and I won't scrape it off a cheap burger I get, but I do not need it at all.

also, just to help with future mocking, I am firmly OK with mayo with fries. I prefer tzatziki, but mayo will do in a pinch.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
really good ketchup is still ketchup. my friend Hans was chef of...god I forget the name of that restaurant just south of Peace on Glenwood, and he once whipped me up a bit of his fresh ketchup and it confirmed how I felt. it's just adds a bunch of nothing to the flavor of things. I'm not a hater, and I won't scrape it off a cheap burger I get, but I do not need it at all.

also, just to help with future mocking, I am firmly OK with mayo with fries. I prefer tzatziki, but mayo will do in a pinch.
My brother is named Hans

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Side note. Rise Biscuits & Donuts which got started only a few years ago in Durham is quickly becoming one of the hottest franchises & will probably go national in a few years.

They’re up to 18 stores. But last I heard they have 130+ stores in current development, and that was back sometime in March? My friend knows the CEO and they’re supposedly eyeing 1,000+ locations in 5 years.

It’s cool to see a N.C. business take off big time

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Glad I'm not the only one. I don't hate katchup but if I'm doing fries with any kind of real thickness to them malt vinegar is the way to go.

I was going to say exactly this. my first preference is to eat fries the right thiccness and greasiness to not need any toppings at all, followed by what I described earlier. but malted vinegar is acceptable for those briny pub fries.

I found my people.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
You haven't had fries until you've had gravy fries at Nectars in Burlington, VT at 2AM.

I have no idea how they would taste when sober, but at 2AM, they were the best damn things I ever ate.
I don't think that place existed when I was last there. We used to get fries with vinegar at place in Essex Junction on Rt. 15 just before the railroad tracks. I can't remember the name of the place back then...Pete's, maybe? The fries were so greasy that if you let them cool, they just congealed into a single piece of nasty. But when warm with some vinegar.....mmmmmmmm!

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't think that place existed when I was last there. We used to get fries with vinegar at place in Essex Junction on Rt. 15 just before the railroad tracks. I can't remember the name of the place back then...Pete's, maybe? The fries were so greasy that if you let them cool, they just congealed into a single piece of nasty. But when warm with some vinegar.....mmmmmmmm!

Nectars has been there for ages. It's where Phish got it's start in the mid-late 80s and I think it was around a good 10 year before that from what I was told and I think it's still there today.

Don't remember the name Pete's, but I could easily be forgetting it as it was a long time ago when I was there. I recall a place called the Lincoln inn, a bar called Murray's which was right by the railroad tracks, a restaurant/diner called JPs, another place called Martones.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Nectars has been there for ages. It's where Phish got it's start in the mid-late 80s and I think it was around a good 10 year before that from what I was told and I think it's still there today.

Don't remember the name Pete's, but I could easily be forgetting it as it was a long time ago when I was there. I recall a place called the Lincoln inn, a bar called Murray's which was right by the railroad tracks, a restaurant/diner called JPs, another place called Martones.
I looked on Google maps and the place I'm thinking of is now called the "Essex Grill". Wasn't called that at the time, but the building looks right but has been painted at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad