Prospect Info: Hurricanes select D Trevor Carrick #115 (Mississauga)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The OHL trend to this draft continues

CSB: #44 NA Skater

position: D
size: 6'2/172
team: Mississauga St Michaels
born: July 4th, 1994

stats:
19 points (6G, 13A) in 68 games, 64PIM

gritty defensive defenseman with some offensive upside to him as well. Looks to fit the need for the blueline well with all the offense oriented guys we have right now.

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1329

95. Trevor Carrick, Defense, Mississauga-OHL

Carrick did not have the kind of great season points-wise you would like to see, but scouts have consistently sung praises for him. He's an above-average skater who moves with ease in all four directions and is able to generate a good first step off his backward movements. He has the ability to join the rush very effectively but won't always be that aggressive in joining the offense. Carrick has an average-sized frame but is notably physical. While he's not a mean punisher or anything, he consistently finishes his checks hard, wins the majority of battles he is involved in, and protects the front of his own crease pretty well. Carrick has puck-moving skills beyond simple outlet passes, as he can move it up moderate distances and will show power play ability despite his poor counting numbers. He doesn't have much puck skills, though, and when he's handling it outside of straight line movements, he can look quite rigid. Carrick does fine in his own end and that's more where he'll be leaned on at the pro level considering his size and ability to close gaps efficiently.

I'm excited, doesn't seem to have a weaker part to his game.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
I'm not sure what this is a sign of when you Google Trevor Carrick, but it can't be good.

ornlgk.jpg

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
This Carrick guy might be a pick to keep an eye on. Ranked #44 by CSB, he is slotted 1 behind Jankowski who went 21st overall who is slotted at 43. And 5 ahead of McGinn who we plucked in the 2nd.

Might be real good value here and possibly BPA at the time.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I had Carrick rated 17th from the OHL this year. Here's what I wrote.

At the beginning of the season, I just couldn't wrap my head around the fact that NHL Central Scouting had Carrick ranked so highly. But as the year went on, Carrick grew on me more and more and I began to see what they clearly saw in him so early in the year. I think Carrick has a ton of upside as a mobile, physical defender. He's got excellent mobility and is a very difficult defender to get around; not just because of his mobility but also because he's physical, aggressive and uses his stick extremely well. He's also effective in the corners, where his size and physicality make him difficult to win battles against. The key for Carrick moving forward will be the development of his offensive game. I saw great strides in this over the course of the year, so I think he's got potential to really develop this part of his game. He shows flashes of brilliance in being able to carry the puck up ice and join the rush. He's also got a great shot and was really beginning to get himself in good positions to use it by the end of the year. What he really needs to work on is keeping things simple in his own end, as he can be prone to turnovers caused by the forecheck. Taking his first pass to that next level will make him an even more effective defender.

KraftD

Sep 8, 2010
Sorry for the bump here but i'm wondering if i can get updated info on the guy.

Did he gain a few pounds? Will he ever make the NHL you think?:)

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Sorry for the bump here but i'm wondering if i can get updated info on the guy.

Did he gain a few pounds? Will he ever make the NHL you think?:)

I'm pretty high on Carrick. Sudbury's website has him at 181 so you'd want him to try to put on some more weight at 6'2". He put up 22 goals and 51 points in 70 regular season games between Mississauga and Sudbury then 3 more points in 5 playoff games which is certainly promising as his offensive numbers have improved every year.

I think he was a great pick with lots of raw talent, he's shown consistent improvement like I said before, and I expect him to get to the NHL at some point.

KraftD

Sep 8, 2010
I'm pretty high on Carrick. Sudbury's website has him at 181 so you'd want him to try to put on some more weight at 6'2". He put up 22 goals and 51 points in 70 regular season games between Mississauga and Sudbury then 3 more points in 5 playoff games which is certainly promising as his offensive numbers have improved every year.

I think he was a great pick with lots of raw talent, he's shown consistent improvement like I said before, and I expect him to get to the NHL at some point.

Great. Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad