Hurricanes Lounge XXXIV: I've had it with these mother f***ing snakes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Got a call from State Farm today about the new house. Apparently the shingles on the roof have been discontinued. The only way they'll continue to cover it is if we take a $10k deductible (for all perils, not just the roof), and agree to replace it before the first year is up. We have a week to respond before they drop us, effective immediately. I think that's what they'd prefer.

So yeah, let's say the dishwasher breaks and floods the downstairs. We'd be out $10k because the roof has the wrong shingles. How does that even begin to make sense?

I've been with them for over 10 years, maybe 15, but I guess it's time to move on. Even if we were ready to replace the roof, f*** those strong-arm tactics. Is anyone particularly impressed by their insurance company?

Edit: We're moving everything, not just the homeowner's policy. So auto and personal articles as well.
I’m with Farm Bureau, really good auto insurance prices as well.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Thanks everyone. I don't qualify for USAA, but have heard decent things about both them and Amica. Anybody ever dealt with claims with their insurers? Seems like that's where these companies really start to show their true colors.

My wife's uncle is a longtime public adjuster and recommended Chubb based on what he's seen them pay out. Except it sounds like they prefer to deal with people in a higher tax bracket than us, and they charge accordingly.
Well done everyone! :handclap:
Happy to help. It's all I'm good for around here, to be honest.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Thanks everyone. I don't qualify for USAA, but have heard decent things about both them and Amica. Anybody ever dealt with claims with their insurers? Seems like that's where these companies really start to show their true colors.

My wife's uncle is a longtime public adjuster and recommended Chubb based on what he's seen them pay out. Except it sounds like they prefer to deal with people in a higher tax bracket than us, and they charge accordingly.

I’ve had USAA since 07. I have filed only a couple, maybe three claims with them. Zero issue with them. I don’t feel as though they were being cheap.

my mon did adjusting for NCJUA.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Got a call from State Farm today about the new house. Apparently the shingles on the roof have been discontinued. The only way they'll continue to cover it is if we take a $10k deductible (for all perils, not just the roof), and agree to replace it before the first year is up. We have a week to respond before they drop us, effective immediately. I think that's what they'd prefer.

So yeah, let's say the dishwasher breaks and floods the downstairs. We'd be out $10k because the roof has the wrong shingles. How does that even begin to make sense?

I've been with them for over 10 years, maybe 15, but I guess it's time to move on. Even if we were ready to replace the roof, f*** those strong-arm tactics. Is anyone particularly impressed by their insurance company?

Edit: We're moving everything, not just the homeowner's policy. So auto and personal articles as well.

Erie has had mine for years. Covered the 1988 tornado for 50k and Fran for 35k. An upstairs leak that did 22k in water damage. They are awesome.
The first question from the adjusters is always, "What do you need". The answer in 1988 was, "A bigger chain saw" He came back later that day with a new Stihl.

Reactions: Lempo

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Erie has had mine for years. Covered the 1988 tornado for 50k and Fran for 35k. An upstairs leak that did 22k in water damage. They are awesome.
The first question from the adjusters is always, "What do you need".
I’ve had Erie for about 8 years as well. Only 3 claims. Hail damage to a metal roof (not the typical storm chaser roofing scam where roofing companies tell you your older, shingle roof has hail damage, these were big dents in our metal porch roof), 1 car accident by one of my kids, and a broken windshield). All of them went smoothly. With their accident forgiveness, none of those affected my rates.

my rates went up significantly though when we moved to Durham a year ago, so going to be shopping around in the next couple of months.

my friend swears by farm bureau, but I have no experience with them.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I’ve had Erie for about 8 years as well. Only 3 claims. Hail damage to a metal roof (not the typical storm chaser roofing scam where roofing companies tell you your older, shingle roof has hail damage, these were big dents in our metal porch roof), 1 car accident by one of my kids, and a broken windshield). All of them went smoothly. With their accident forgiveness, none of those affected my rates.

my rates went up significantly though when we moved to Durham a year ago, so going to be shopping around in the next couple of months.

my friend swears by farm bureau, but I have no experience with them.

Try another Erie agent. Some will work harder for your business, possibly lower rates. Happened to me a while back. I have heard good stuff about Farm Bureau.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I do not but my heart breaks for their continual suffering. Having spent time in almost all of the Caribbean nations, I am amazed at their citizens’ fortitude and ability to endure. Many are some of the loveliest people I have ever met.
Yes, dark humor on my part. They can't seem to catch even one break there.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Couple of things, we also have had USAA with not a quibble. But we also had Travelers on our rental property which had a couple of claims without a single hassle.

Secondly, and on an entirely different note, I've become something of a statistical anomaly. On Monday evening I was feeling really run down, took a nap at about 5:00 and didn't wake up until 8:30. Had fever and chills. Heavy chest, cough, body aches and pretty incredible weakness....yup, you guessed it; I got a test Tuesday AM and I have Covid-19.....as a fully vaccinated person (Pfizer). My 23 year old son, also fully vaccinated (Johnson and Johnson), also tested positive but is asymptomatic. The doctors told me I was lucky to be vaccinated as I likely would have suffered even worse symptoms (which I fully believe), but this f***ing disease suck ass. It just kicks you in the gut and, maybe more importantly, it impacts you entire family.

My son and I are quarantining in our basement (fully finished with a small wet bar/kitchen area). I'm about 3 days into this thing and don't really feel a whole lot better yet. We were pretty religious about masking, etc. too. So all I can say to you all is be very wary out there folks. It's insidious and takes its toll.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Couple of things, we also have had USAA with not a quibble. But we also had Travelers on our rental property which had a couple of claims without a single hassle.

Secondly, and on an entirely different note, I've become something of a statistical anomaly. On Monday evening I was feeling really run down, took a nap at about 5:00 and didn't wake up until 8:30. Had fever and chills. Heavy chest, cough, body aches and pretty incredible weakness....yup, you guessed it; I got a test Tuesday AM and I have Covid-19.....as a fully vaccinated person (Pfizer). My 23 year old son, also fully vaccinated (Johnson and Johnson), also tested positive but is asymptomatic. The doctors told me I was lucky to be vaccinated as I likely would have suffered even worse symptoms (which I fully believe), but this f***ing disease suck ass. It just kicks you in the gut and, maybe more importantly, it impacts you entire family.

My son and I are quarantining in our basement (fully finished with a small wet bar/kitchen area). I'm about 3 days into this thing and don't really feel a whole lot better yet. We were pretty religious about masking, etc. too. So all I can say to you all is be very wary out there folks. It's insidious and takes its toll.
Wow! Sorry to hear that you got sick. I hope you feel better soon.

Given the numbers from Israel and the preliminary numbers from the Mayo, it looks like Pfizer's vaccine wanes substantially against the Delta variant in the 6 to 8 month time frame (mid 40% efficacy is the numbers I've seen), so I don't think you are as much of an anomaly as you think.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

I haven't had any claims (fortunately). I did a quick search and there are a bunch of lists of best and worst when it comes to claims. Here are the first two lists that came up on my google search; you might want to check out more as I'm sure the results vary across lists.

The 11 Worst Insurance Companies
Which Insurance Company Is Best at Paying Claims?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

State Farm used similar tactics /w me 6ish years ago. Went with USAA and haven't had to make any claims but their prices alone are very good.

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I had a person tell me last week that their insurance company called and said that they were raising his rates because the price of building materials is so much higher now. If they had to rebuild/replace something, the cost would be much higher so that’s why.

Not sure what insurance company, but I guess that kinda makes sense.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Wow! Sorry to hear that you got sick. I hope you feel better soon.

Given the numbers from Israel and the preliminary numbers from the Mayo, it looks like Pfizer's vaccine wanes substantially against the Delta variant in the 6 to 8 month time frame (mid 40% efficacy is the numbers I've seen), so I don't think you are as much of an anomaly as you think.

how does Pfizer compare to Moderna, as they are both similar technology? Or does the data not say?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
how does Pfizer compare to Moderna, as they are both similar technology? Or does the data not say?

The study has not been peer reviewed yet, so let's assume grains of salt that are as large as houses. That said, the Moderna seems to hold up much better in the study. Pfizer as an efficacy in the mid 40% range as I said, while Moderna's numbers are in the 70% range. Now that said, this appears to be a study looking at "how long until X number of cases reported, like the original trials, so the numbers may just be a byproduct of the fact that around 70% of mRNA vaccines given out to date are Pfizer compared to about 30% Moderna, thus they just haven't had enough data yet to see the "true" efficacy.

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
I had a person tell me last week that their insurance company called and said that they were raising his rates because the price of building materials is so much higher now. If they had to rebuild/replace something, the cost would be much higher so that’s why.

Not sure what insurance company, but I guess that kinda makes sense.
And of course they'll lower the rates should prices go down.:sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad