Hurricanes Lounge XXVI: 26 Has a Whole Lotta Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Thanks all. Preference would be for close to downtown (which like you, BBA, would be our focus), but driving a few minutes isn't a big deal. There must be something going on the weekend of the 30th, because there is either no availability (Aloft) or expensive limited availability (Hilton/Double Tree). I might just need to push this a few weeks into Oct.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Last trip I made was the Hampton that BBA mentioned, it's a nice hotel.

River Street Arts District is pretty cool. I took a ton of photos last time I was there.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks all. Preference would be for close to downtown (which like you, BBA, would be our focus), but driving a few minutes isn't a big deal. There must be something going on the weekend of the 30th, because there is either no availability (Aloft) or expensive limited availability (Hilton/Double Tree). I might just need to push this a few weeks into Oct.

Another time my wife and I were there, the Aloft was booked. Come to find out that a ton of Florida and Tennessee fans were staying in Asheville the weekend of a football game. I was told that is a frequent occurrence during the fall whenever Tennessee has a home game. A lot of fans, both Tennessee and opposing teams, that have to travel to watch the game stay in Asheville.

Another thing might be the start of fall foliage season. End of September is on the early side, but is when fall foliage colors start to come out at higher elevations. That's going to be the case through the month of October though.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I've done the Holiday Inn on Tunnel Rd and aside from a wonky parking lot it's akin to that Hampton Inn. A short drive/Uber from wherever you want to go. We've also done the Crowne Plaza after we got a song of a room rate on Priceline. It was a little rundown but very serviceable. It looks like they've done some renovating on it since we stayed at it. Another option might be an Air BnB. If you want to go completely no frills there's The Mountaineer Inn. It's the type of place you can imagine Willy Loman might have stayed in back in the '50s or '60s

On the bright side, they have Dave as their mascot/sign logo! :sarcasm:

cfiles35053.jpg

mountaineer1.jpg

Reactions: sheriff bart

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Looks nice, but more like an anniversary type stay, not a "sorry you had to deal with me for the last 2 months of budget cycle" stay.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
For the more upscale experience try the Grand Bohemian , a Kesler hotel, in Biltmore Village. Each hotel has it's own original art exhibits. Food's fantastic....but it ain't cheap.

http://www.bohemianhotelasheville.com/

I've looked into that as well as the Grove Park Inn (which is worth visiting once even if you don't stay there), but those are the types of hotels where you pretty much are going to stay right there and enjoy them (Spa packages, meals, etc..) If you plan on spending most of your time away from the hotel, the Grand Bohemian and Grove Park just don't make sense.

Seriously though, especially if it's a crappy weather day, drive up to the Grove Park Inn and just walk around the place. It's incredible.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The fireplace in the main lobby is incredible, big enough to stand in. The elevator is encased in stone so it looks like a door in a cave. Apparently they built it that way to keep the guest from hearing elevator noise. Just walking around the interior of that place is pretty remarkable.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Don't you just love it when someone thinks your name is something other than what it is, but you don't correct them and eventually it's kind of too late to do so and you just sort of become this other person?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I stayed at the Grove Park Inn once. I did not want to leave. Everything about the place was awesome, especially the view of DT Asheville and the mountain backdrop.

I've also stayed at the Best Western on Tunnel Road, near where it meets I-240. Significant downgrade obviously, but it was okay. We actually were going to stay at the Mountaineer Inn, but all the rooms were booked. There were contractors and laborers who were renovating the pools and spas at GPI and I guess they took over the place.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Don't you just love it when someone thinks your name is something other than what it is, but you don't correct them and eventually it's kind of too late to do so and you just sort of become this other person?

According to half the people I talk with on the phone at work I'm "Steve"... which works because we have about 4 Daves, but no Steve.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Good God. That storm Maria became powerful in a short amount of time. Hoping for the best but it doesn't look good for Dominica. Or Puerto Rico.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013

Jerry Gergich? Is that you? Get back to work.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I stayed at the Grove Park Inn once. I did not want to leave. Everything about the place was awesome, especially the view of DT Asheville and the mountain backdrop.

I've also stayed at the Best Western on Tunnel Road, near where it meets I-240. Significant downgrade obviously, but it was okay. We actually were going to stay at the Mountaineer Inn, but all the rooms were booked. There were contractors and laborers who were renovating the pools and spas at GPI and I guess they took over the place.

I stayed at the Mountaineer one time on account of my mother seeing a listing for it in some budget travel magazine and insisting we *had* to stay there. There was (maybe still is) a biker bar just down the hill and I recall being woken up at 2:00 AM when the bar closed and all the bikers mounted their Harleys to head home. The TV wasn't functional, either, IIRC. It was clean enough and comfortable enough, but never again. I've also stayed at a hostel downtown that's in walking distance of the South Slope breweries. Would do that again as it's essentially a house you're sharing with a couple other people. In our case we split the house with another couple we're friends with.

Good God. That storm Maria became powerful in a short amount of time. Hoping for the best but it doesn't look good for Dominica. Or Puerto Rico.

Maria's trying to ruin my vacation next week. We've already had our itinerary changed because of Irma.

Been a while since I finished that series but doesn't he get called by about four different names over the course of it? :laugh:

His real name is Garry but he gets called Jerry, Larry, and Terry and his last name goes from Gergich to Gengurch.

Reactions: sheriff bart

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

There is something just a little funny about a storm named Maria bearing down on Puerto Rico.....

...but I hope everyone stays safe.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
equifax was apparently hacked another time almost 5 months earlier than the date they initially disclosed.

also the congressman for the district their headquarters is in introduced legislation designed to limit class-action lawsuits against credit reporting agencies and cap potential damages. this was introduced before the breach was made public (H.R. 2359)

slimy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I stayed at the Mountaineer one time on account of my mother seeing a listing for it in some budget travel magazine and insisting we *had* to stay there. There was (maybe still is) a biker bar just down the hill and I recall being woken up at 2:00 AM when the bar closed and all the bikers mounted their Harleys to head home. The TV wasn't functional, either, IIRC. It was clean enough and comfortable enough, but never again.

You saying the TV didn't work brought back a memory. My wife and I were given a gift certificate to a fancy Inn way back when. We picked a beautiful fall weekend and scheduled a nice getaway at this Inn. The gift certificate was enough that it covered everything, accommodations, food, bar, etc.. and still had some left over, but not enough to come back for another stay.

As we were sitting at the bar waiting for dinner, I saw a limo pull up and a groom and bride get out, check in and head to their room. I asked the Innkeeper if the Inn provided complementary champagne for newlyweds and he said they did not. I told him to send a bottle up to their room and put it on my tab, figuring they would appreciate it and it would use up more of the gift certificate.

Well, when I went to check out the next day, I didn't see the champagne so I asked the Inn Keeper about it. He told me he never got to send it up because they checked out shortly after checking in. I was perplexed as this was a very nice Inn and seemed perfect for a wedding night. He said the groom was mad that the Inn did not have a TV in rooms, so he and his bride got into a big fight about it and eventually they checked out and went down the road to the Sheraton, which had TVs. :laugh:

Wonder if they are still married.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
equifax was apparently hacked another time almost 5 months earlier than the date they initially disclosed.

also the congressman for the district their headquarters is in introduced legislation designed to limit class-action lawsuits against credit reporting agencies and cap potential damages. this was introduced before the breach was made public (H.R. 2359)

slimy

I had heard they had 2 prior hacks. I was also told that they don't even encrypt this personal information, which is just beyond idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad