GDT: Hurricanes @ Devils: And you all know, security is mortal's chiefest enemy

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm sorry, but debating the relative defensive awareness of Justin Faulk vs. Brett Pesce is more than I can handle. I don't know why people insist on "passing the buck" on our players who are obviously under-performing. But I guess we actually had people defending Scott Darling, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm not passing the buck. In fact, between the two of us, I'm the one who seems to recognize both players f***ed up on that play. You seem to be giving Pesce a pass, when he's arguably the main reason the goal was scored.

Faulk was the reason a chance was created, and Pesce was the reason a goal was scored.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
You seem to be giving Pesce a pass, when he's arguably the main reason the goal was scored.

I'll grant you that Pesce played it poorly, but he wouldn't have been in position to have to make a decision if Faulk hadn't been caught in no-man's land at the offensive blue line. There's no way Pesce is the "main reason." Faulk is the *only* reason there was a chance there at all. Pesce did nothing to help, but he didn't cause the issue.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Everyone does realize Pesce was just as guilty (if not more so) for the 3-1 goal, yeah? Faulk got burned, but Pesce completely lost his man, who wound up being the goal scorer.

He lost his man because he felt he needed to go cover Faulk's man.

I believe that both of these things are true. Faulk misplayed Bratt AND Pesce got caught in no man's land. I'm also one to assume that he thought he had to given his multiple game experience as Faulk's partner. However, Pesce was the guy responsible for the 2nd goal. Had he boxed out there, that goal doesn't get scored.

I love Brett and think he's clearly the 2nd best defender on the team, but he didn't have his best game today.

Faulk was just Faulk....making some good plays, but his f*** ups seem to lead to grade A chances, and often goals.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Pesce has bad games because he is playing on his off side because we have a RD one wants (they seem to recognize his shortcomings). Yet this RD continues to man our first power play and critical moments in the game even though we traded for a RD purely for his offensive skills. That's on Rod and a bit on Waddel.

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
I know I have my Canes-colored glasses on, but it appeared the puck went in on Aho's goal before the El Interfero call was committed. At the least I thought it warranted a review. Goal then penalty.

As for the 3rd goal, I also thought Pesce misplayed it and got caught in no man's land not really making an impact on either devil

SliceNDice92

Dec 10, 2017
All that’s well and good, but

You can’t tell me that Pesce is blameless there. He lost his man, who wound up being the goal scorer. Had he covered the pass, Bratt’s options would have been either a shot against Mrazek, or a setup behind the net, neither of which were nearly as dangerous.

You are correct... Pesce got caught puck watching instead of taking care of Johansson but Faulk also got caught pinching just enough for Bratt to explode.

SliceNDice92

Dec 10, 2017
On a note Buffalo lost also but we can't rely on other teams to lose. It does seem like every time we win so does the teams we are batting against and it sucks but if the team keeps playing like they have been on this trip so far good things will keep happening and you can bet on that. Plus i still laugh every time i think about the bag of pucks it cost us for Nino :laugh:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Faulk got beat but he recovered enough to prevent Bratt from getting a quality shot. He wasnt going to be able to cut to the net... he was at most going to get sharp angled shot on goal.

There was no reason for Pesce to leave the guy open in the slot.

Careful. Apparently recognizing when a normally solid defenseman makes a mistake means you're turning him into a whipping boy.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Faulk got beat but he recovered enough to prevent Bratt from getting a quality shot. He wasnt going to be able to cut to the net... he was at most going to get sharp angled shot on goal.

There was no reason for Pesce to leave the guy open in the slot.

No, I agree with this. But the thing is that this game happens fast. Pesce couldn't know how it was going to turn out, and had to make a decision. At the red line, it sure looked like Faulk got left in the dust. So Pesce put his head down and skated back to cut off Bratt. Unfortunately for him, Faulk recovered enough to minimize Bratt's chances of getting a quality shot, but by this point Pesce was already pot-committed. Yes, Pesce looked bad. But he had to make a choice after Faulk got dusted. He just made the wrong choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad