GDT: Hurricanes @ Devils - 3:00 PM - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Brodeur and Fitzgerald are both big Blackwood supporters. The goalie coach Rogalski was brought in by Brodeur. He's going to be the #1B goaltender at minimum, unless he literally breaks down physically. The fans are living in a dream world that he's somehow going to be waived, after some poor outing or fluke goals.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why is that a definitely?
It’s not definite but when does Blackwood get taken out after he wins or plays well? Whereas Vanecek sat two games in a row in Western Canada after winning three straight

Last edited:
Reactions: Devs3cups

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Brodeur and Fitzgerald are both big Blackwood supporters. The goalie coach Rogalski was brought in by Brodeur. He's going to be the #1B goaltender at minimum, unless he literally breaks down physically. The fans are living in a dream world that he's somehow going to be waived after some poor outing or fluke goals.
.902 —> .892 —> .888

How low can he go?

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Maybe they will start Vitek for the sole reason he beat Detroit last time in Detroit
I think it's highly likely we see VV for Detroit. And then Blacky for the Blues, unless VV registers a shutout.

Reactions: Mgd31

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Nope, it's stupid shit, they should call it the cope meter, just dumb silly and irrelevant. When it comes with two points sign me up.

it isnt irrelevant. It goes to a trend.

if the team plays well for a bunch of games in a row but still loses, it shows that they are likely to turn it around soon if they keep it up, and vice versa.

Thats fine if you dont choose to believe in it, but it has some value.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
it isnt irrelevant. It goes to a trend.

if the team plays well for a bunch of games in a row but still loses, it shows that they are likely to turn it around soon if they keep it up, and vice versa.

Thats fine if you dont choose to believe in it, but it has some value.
Yeah, I'm kinda baffled by the whole idea of "I don't want to know if we actually played well or not!". Like...that's some basic info that's just kind of nice to have? I want to know if they're still using a decent plan of attack and just getting unlucky, if there's some key parts of their play we can point to that are lacking, or if they're just playing like shit, and stuff that gives us information on that is nice.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Brodeur and Fitzgerald are both big Blackwood supporters. The goalie coach Rogalski was brought in by Brodeur. He's going to be the #1B goaltender at minimum, unless he literally breaks down physically. The fans are living in a dream world that he's somehow going to be waived, after some poor outing or fluke goals.
The thing they really need to think about is Blackwood is NOT WORTH his qualifying offer next year.

And he probably wouldn't have been, unless he had both a REALLY GOOD SEASON (I'm talking minimal as good as 19-20, if not his absolute best season in pro hockey) AND stayed healthy long enough to do it. Not doing it in 20 or 25 games, but playing almost a full season AND at that clip.

His qualifying offer is I think $4 million, even though some people have said $3 million.

Either or, that's a HEFTY price for a big question mark that did nothing but underwhelm on his current contract, didn't stay healthy and all the while we have Vitek makiing $3.4 million the next two years, while also being the superior goaltender. This tandem is not worth a combined $6.5-$7 million, it's just absolutely not. And that's not even combined what they're making this year, it's less than that, but it won't be next year if Blackwood gets his qualifying offer.

Unless they think they can talk him into accepting less than his qualifying offer, which he can probably get what he's really worth from several other teams in the league if we don't qualify him and let him go UFA. Without staying here and being Bronx cheered (which is WELL DESERVED) and having a miserable go at it.

This is something we gotta think about while we're a cap team. I'm already of the opinion that we had to lowball people with the Wood deal this year, but Wood is still a good player, at least for what he is (4th liner) and Blackwood is NOT a good player by any definition.

Who do we have to lowball next year to fit in a goalie making probably $2-$3 million more than he's worth, who hasn't been good in what will be FOUR seasons by then? This is what management has to think about.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yeah, I'm kinda baffled by the whole idea of "I don't want to know if we actually played well or not!". Like...that's some basic info that's just kind of nice to have? I want to know if they're still using a decent plan of attack and just getting unlucky, if there's some key parts of their play we can point to that are lacking, or if they're just playing like shit, and stuff that gives us information on that is nice.

then the response is always "well I just use my eyes"!

okay, and what do you think that the analytics are based on? They are based on what happens ON THE ICE!!

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe they will start Vitek for the sole reason he beat Detroit last time in Detroit
He also had probably his worst game of the season in the home opener against Detroit, so who knows what way they'll go?

I'd have to look up Blackwood's career numbers against Detroit, but that's probably another team he hasn't played in 3 seasons, due to no games against them in 20-21 and being out of the lineup last year when we played them.

Actually, wait..... He played the season finale against Detroit, where he allowed 4 goals and 3 were bad goals and every time the save percentage got above .900% on the night he would allow yet another. And the team kept tying it back up, until there just wasn't enough time in the game anymore.

That was legitimately as bad as any game he played last year, if we're just talking quality of goals allowed. One of the goals wasn't initially called a goal because it looked like Dougie Hamilton kept it from crossing the line after Blackwood was beaten on I think a clean wraparound through the 5-hole. And then after they came back from the TV timeout we found out it was a goal.

Reactions: Mgd31

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I mean, I get the frustration given we've heard "the underlying numbers are actually pretty good" for the last two years and outside of our hot steak this year it hasn't really shown up in the standings. That doesn't mean its any better to laugh off or ridicule when somebody posts a graph or chart or Tweet that is basically just saying "the team played well but lost", which I'm pretty sure has been said about teams long before analytics existed.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I also wonder if the long Blackwood leash is just so we can make absolutely damn sure that we're making the right decision not to bring him back next year.

The Caps out of absolutely nowhere last year just let Samsonov walk and didn't qualify him. They actually traded Vanecek, but didn't get nothing for Samsonov, who had only had 2 bad years in a row and not 3. And they played the f*** out of him in the second half last year.

I know they pretty much went for broke by signing Kuemper to a deal that they're probably gonna regret in not too many more years, but I would have never have thought ''Yeah, they ain't gonna qualify Samsonov''.

The one good year Samsonov had in Washington was when they wouldn't allow him to usurp Holtby, who was having an absolutely miserable final season in Washington. And I think Washington knew they weren't bringing him back, as that was a contract year, but it didn't stop them from playing him like it was still 2016 and he was in a Vezina race and challening the most wins in a season record.

So I'm somewhat confident that even if they keep playing this guy, he won't be re-upped, at least not as his qualifying offer.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
then the response is always "well I just use my eyes"!

okay, and what do you think that the analytics are based on? They are based on what happens ON THE ICE!!
All that means nothing if they don't string some wins together they will be passed by the Rangers, Islanders and even the Kraken. A sad state of affairs from where they were last month.
LGD 👍

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
All that means nothing if they don't string some wins together they will be passed by the Rangers, Islanders and even the Kraken. A sad state of affairs from where they were last month.
LGD 👍
and if they DO string some wins together then they will stay in front of all those teams!!
LGD

see I can play this ultimatum game too

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
even though the past month sucked, at least it's done and they can get back to playing shitty teams. hopefully that builds their confidence back up and they can string some wins together

Reactions: Dylan9z9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad