Hurricanes ABSOLUTELY SHATTER modern playoff record for shot attempt differential in a single game

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This is pretty unbelievable. I compiled all 1,453 games since 2007-08 (as far back as Natural Stat Trick goes). On a per minute basis, the shot attempt differential we saw in last night's Canes - Islanders game 2 was 37% higher than the next closest game.

The next closest game was Stars Flames game 7 in 2022, where Calgary absolutely shelled Oettinger, who stood on his head before Gaudreau finally scored. That game went almost full extra period and still didn't reach the differential we saw last night:

1713870781645.png

That kind of statistical outlier over such a large sample size is really astounding. What's crazier is that the first period wasn't that lopsided - but the shot attempts were 82-11 in the last 2 periods. That's a differential of 106.5 on a per 60 basis!

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Kind of symbolic of yesterday…Adam Pelech has had one of the most shocking, still-in-his-prime falls from grace in recent memory.

I mean this was a guy who was widely considered a top 3 defensive blueliner in the game and potential Team Canada player. And that’s the thing - it’s his defensive play that is abysmal. Decision making, positioning…it’s like he got body snatched. You can live with some of that if you are Noah Dobson but defense was this guy’s bread and butter. He’s been bad all year and probably hasn’t been good for a couple years and yet I still see him showing up on “best defensive players” and “underrated players” lists by casual fans.

I bet the Isles would pay you to take his contract and poor play at this point.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
This honestly says more about the Islanders than the Canes. The way they decided to stop playing hockey because they had a lead... I'm aghast.

I can't imagine a boxer winning the first three rounds and just standing there/shelling up for the rest of the fight, letting the opponent tee off.

How does shit like this make it to the NHL?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This honestly says more about the Islanders than the Canes. The way they decided to stop playing hockey because they had a lead... I'm aghast.

I can't imagine a boxer winning the first three rounds and just standing there/shelling up for the rest of the fight, letting the opponent tee off.

Fear of making a mistake by being aggressive. Happens in all sports, though not usually so obviously. Canes have done it before as well.

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024

I disagree the Canes are probably the only NHL team capable of this kind of substained O Zone pressure, also the Islanders didn't exactly stop they had 13 SOG in an 8 minute span between the end of the first and second periods and ZERO for all 52 other minutes..... make no mistake the Isles are completely outmatched.

Turns out that having 2 shots on goal during the last 36min of a game is NOT the recipe to success.
They had 0 the first 15 as well lol.
We are talking they had 0 shots in 51 minutes of the game

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

It says more about Patrick Roy honestly. This is how he coached in junior - the Remparts won the Memorial cup in part because of this style (it also helps when your team is full of 19 and 20 year olds - they had like 15 guys age 19+).

But it's a lot easier to trap in junior hockey because your opponents don't have the offensive depth of NHL teams, and if you're an older team, the physical advantages are significant.

It's a lot harder to sit on a lead against a team that can roll 4 lines with dangerous offensive players on each of them.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Does NST tally posts hit?
I dont think so, but NHL.com does. They hit 5 posts last night

What are Varlamovs GSAA?
Nothing crazy, 1.14 through 2 games in all situations. Isles have done a great job at blocking shots - Dobson blocked a sure goal from Jarvis late in the 2nd when the net was completely open.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Isles have basically schemed to muck up the neutral zone and try to score on the counterattack because they just can't match the Canes man for man. And it kind of worked last night, but when the Canes are able to get their forecheck going, there isn't much of an answer for it. Eventually the dam will bust, especially now that they have a couple more playmakers and scorers than they had in previous years.

Varlamov had a good game, but let's also remember the Canes hit 5 posts throughout the game. Score easily could have been 8 to 3 had a couple of them bounced in.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Kind of symbolic of yesterday…Adam Pelech has had one of the most shocking, still-in-his-prime falls from grace in recent memory.

I mean this was a guy who was widely considered a top 3 defensive blueliner in the game and potential Team Canada player. And that’s the thing - it’s his defensive play that is abysmal. Decision making, positioning…it’s like he got body snatched. You can live with some of that if you are Noah Dobson but defense was this guy’s bread and butter. He’s been bad all year and probably hasn’t been good for a couple years and yet I still see him showing up on “best defensive players” and “underrated players” lists by casual fans.

I bet the Isles would pay you to take his contract and poor play at this point.
Barry Trotz’s system made Pelech (and Pulock) appear to be good players. Pelech was dog shit before Trotz arrived and he’s been ass since he left 2 seasons ago

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Makes sense that it would be the Hurricanes. Their 65.33 CF% when trailing this season is the second highest since the data began being tracked, meanwhile the Islanders had a 41.28 CF% when leading this season. The differential really took off after the Islanders took a three goal lead.

1713883118591.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad