Humility

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by kmad, Jun 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmad

kmad riot survivor

How important is a player's humility when being scouted or drafted?

Some players have led excellent careers despite their egos (Hull, Jagr) while some players' careers have been ruined by their ego (Daigle, F. Fedorov). How important is it to scouts/GMs for a player to be humble? Does it even effect their assessment of the player?

2. Sundried TOmato

Sundried TOmato Registered User

International Economics Adviser
    Home Page:
    Can't be very important with people like JR, Hull, Lindros, Jarg (and the list goes on) being stars in the NHL.

3. AJ1982

AJ1982 Registered User

Home Page:
    If anything most of the very best players usually have at least a bit of that "cocky" attitude. A player must have confidence, if they don't they will fail. Often times this confidence comes out as cockiness.

4. Legionnaire

Legionnaire Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Home Page:
    I heard the Kings are heavily scouting this Buddhist monk from Pasadena. He can't stick handle, shoot, or skate worth a flip, but boy is he humble! The sleeper of the 04 draft.

5. Heimy

Heimy Registered User

Home Page:

Yeah, he was overheard chanting "desire is the cause of all suffering" when doing yoga. Sounds like a real overachiever to me! :D

Seriously, I think humility is an essential trait in young players. Humble players know they can improve and are more apt to not just take direction and coaching, but appreciate it.

6. Brownies

Brownies Registered User

Writing an Haiku or watching an habs game
    You can twist it the way you want. A guy can be cocky and train more than anyone because he wants to be the best...

7. cycle_it

cycle_it Registered User

as long as they know more work is needed. one should not talk big about landing a 3 yr. nhl contract [as they currently play in the echl] and only show up for some games.

8. littleHossa

littleHossa Registered User

Home Page:
    Yzerman is very humble, I don't know how he was on draft day, but Detroit looking at that young 18 year old center probably didn't think that he was going to be top 10 all time. What about Forsberg, he still sounds like a girl in interviews.

9. Form and Substance

Form and Substance Registered User

Boowmeester strikes me as particularly docile and humble despite his large frame.

10. PhoPhan

PhoPhan Registered User

The first three words of every sentence that comes out of Dustin Rose's mouth are "Dustin Rose says."

11. Jeff Goldblum

Jeff Goldblum Registered User

Home Page:
    Humility can be a bad thing too. See Jan Hrdina. He's a shy guy on and off the ice, and very humble. Too humble. Doesn't see the tools that he has.

12. cycle_it

cycle_it Registered User

so everyone agrees then.
    moderation is key,.

13. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

Having met Daigle once, and knowing a few people who have collaborated with him somewhat... yeah, he's not the most humble person in the world.

But I'm not sure it was ego as much as just a great lack of commitment. I guess you can tie it up to ego and that's probably the problem: Ego can have negative or positive repercussion.

If you are very talented and have a real passion for hockey, ego can probably help you.

If you are not so talented and/or have other priorities, you'll struggle with your ego problem throughout your career.

Obviously Brett Hull has always loved hockey, his father was a legend and seems to have inspired him enormously and on top of that, he has some of the best scoring hands of all-time. He also has one of the most underrated hockey sense, IMO.

Daigle is another story, doesn't seem to care about hockey as much. Thus his sense of self-importance tells him to commit elsewhere.

As a second addendum to answer your question, I don't know exactly how much scouts take ego into consideration but I strongly suspect they are much more weary of this then they were 15 years ago. There is much less place for creativity today. Even the Golden Brett had to make compromise and put his ego on the side somewhat, starting in Dallas. It is thanks to this IMO that he has remained fairly effective despite getting up there in age.

There is less room for individuality today. It's more about knowing where everybody else is on the ice and knowing where you have to be too. Collective work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.