HF Habs: HuGo moves approval rates (Year II)

Do you approve the following moves/decisions - Select all what you agree with

• Allen extension

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • Kovacevic claim

Votes: 133 92.4%
  • Harris extension

Votes: 105 72.9%
  • Dadonov/Gurianov trade

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • Pezzetta extension

Votes: 88 61.1%
  • Newhook trade

Votes: 120 83.3%
  • Edmundson trade

Votes: 121 84.0%
  • RHP extension

Votes: 124 86.1%
  • Draft Reinbacher

Votes: 62 43.1%
  • Draft Fowler

Votes: 117 81.3%
  • Rest of 2023 draft picks

Votes: 60 41.7%
  • Newhook contract

Votes: 129 89.6%
  • Ylonen extension

Votes: 104 72.2%
  • Hoffman/Petry trade

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • Petry Detroit trade

Votes: 89 61.8%
  • Desmith/Pearson trade

Votes: 110 76.4%
  • Medical/training staff changes

Votes: 111 77.1%
  • Monahan extension

Votes: 135 93.8%
  • Caufield 8y contract

Votes: 83 57.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
2nd year of Hughes & Gorton associates, honeymoon is over

Please take the time to select all what you agree with

Cheers

EDIT: added Caufield contract, can't believe I missed that one
please update your choices, sorry..

here are last year Kim-Jong-Un 'esque numbers:

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
don't see much excitement happening as long as they are in charge. Everyone on the management side of scouting and development should have been booted to the curb, and Bobrov was a sus hire. His time in NY was SUS and it seems like a buddy hire, nothing more.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
The best move is not even listed

Bye bye Jojo

canadiens-montreal-jonathan-drouin.jpg

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
2nd year of Hughes & Gorton associates, honeymoon is over

Please take the time to select all what you agree with

Cheers

here are last year Kim-Jong-Un 'esque numbers:

Plus Armia put on waivers.

Still incredible that we don't have to watch Dadonov, Hoffman, Drouin, and Armia taking time away from the young players.

I didn't like Pearson in preseason. But so far, he's had two really nice snipes... It will be nice when Gallagjer is the only bad contract.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
If his worst move is extending a goalie during a window where the habs will not complete and have no use of cap space, I mean, we're really grasping at straws. Allen is really inconsequential to what happens this year and next. He's off the books after next season.

They are making the moves you need to make when you are rebuilding: collecting picks via all means, using some of them for drafting and others acquire talent that nhl ready.

TheYardMachine

Nice guy. Tries hard. Loves the game.
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2018
To be honest im confortable with every move he made except for his picks in the 1st round so far

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
HuGo seems like an intelligent and professional approach to management, a refresher from the previous regime. But I would say that not all of the moves listed in the poll are equal, i.e. the consequences of a Pezzetta extension failing are much less than missing on a top-5 pick.

To me, the judgement of the early phases of HuGo's regime will rely almost exclusively on the outcome of these 6 moves:

1. Hiring MSL: So far so good, in my opinion
2. Acquisition of Dach: So far so good, in my opinion
3. Acquisition of Newhook: Unproven, but reasons to remain optimistic
4. Extension of Caufield: So far so good, in my opinion
5. Drafting Slafkovsky: Bold decision, unproven, but reasons to remain optimistic
6. Drafting Reinbacher: Bold decision, unproven, but reasons to remain optimistic

The last 2 I think are the biggest risks to people perceiving the early part of HuGo's management regime as a failure. Both are tied to what I am most uncertain about in this rebuild - the hiring of Nick Bobrov - but unfortunately we aren't going to be able to fairly pass judgement on that hiring for a few more years.

I think Habs fans can be patient for a re-build, but if the drafting results aren't there, then the losing will not be perceived as being worth it, and things will turn and turn hard on HuGo.

Reactions: Kobe Armstrong

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
HuGo seems like an intelligent and professional approach to management, a refresher from the previous regime. But I would say that not all of the moves listed in the poll are equal, i.e. the consequences of a Pezzetta extension failing are much less than missing on a top-5 pick.

To me, the judgement of the early phases of HuGo's regime will rely almost exclusively on the outcome of these 6 moves:

1. Hiring MSL: So far so good, in my opinion
2. Acquisition of Dach: So far so good, in my opinion
3. Acquisition of Newhook: Unproven, but reasons to remain optimistic
4. Extension of Caufield: So far so good, in my opinion
5. Drafting Slafkovsky: Bold decision, unproven, but reasons to remain optimistic
6. Drafting Reinbacher: Bold decision, unproven, but reasons to remain optimistic

The last 2 I think are the biggest risks to people perceiving the early part of HuGo's management regime as a failure. Both are tied to what I am most uncertain about in this rebuild - the hiring of Nick Bobrov - but unfortunately we aren't going to be able to fairly pass judgement on that hiring for a few more years.

I think Habs fans can be patient for a re-build, but if the drafting results aren't there, then the losing will not be perceived as being worth it, and things will turn and turn hard on HuGo.
Drafting was always a question mark with Gorton’s amateur drafting track record essentially mirroring the Habs over last 50-years… that’s to say mediocre

Reactions: badfish

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
If your worst move is the Allen extension, you actually made a good job
Hughes is doing a good job — that’s why the Habs look so good, have so many good prospects, and have so much to play for last year, this year, next year, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: bopeep

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Seems like a weird list, like why is there Harris extension but not Caufields, why the Dadonov/Gurianov trade but not the Weber/Dadonov, we have Newhook trade+extension but no mention of Dach or his extension which can't just be about stuff this year because you also have Kovacevik claim and Allen extension which happened within weeks of Dach's extension. No MSL or Slaf or 2022 draft class seems like a big omission.

If your looking at individual moves it should probably just be the "big" ones and ignore the meaningless ones like Ylonen/Pezzatta's extension or the Gurianov trade.

But frankly you'd get a better discussion/overview if instead of specific moves people were to grade the overall GM categories, like what's his grade for Trades, what's his grade for Signings, what's his grade on his drafting, what's his grade for hiring/firing the support staff like scouts, coaches, medical, etc... Though I guess that might be harder to do as a poll.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Seems like a weird list, like why is there Harris extension but not Caufields, why the Dadonov/Gurianov trade but not the Weber/Dadonov, we have Newhook trade+extension but no mention of Dach or his extension which can't just be about stuff this year because you also have Kovacevik claim and Allen extension which happened within weeks of Dach's extension. No MSL or Slaf or 2022 draft class seems like a big omission.

If your looking at individual moves it should probably just be the "big" ones and ignore the meaningless ones like Ylonen/Pezzatta's extension or the Gurianov trade.

But frankly you'd get a better discussion/overview if instead of specific moves people were to grade the overall GM categories, like what's his grade for Trades, what's his grade for Signings, what's his grade on his drafting, what's his grade for hiring/firing the support staff like scouts, coaches, medical, etc... Though I guess that might be harder to do as a poll.

My guess is that these are only year 2 moves and the previous thread he links is where there were votes for year 1 moves.

Reactions: xX SEYF Xx

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Hughes is doing a good job — that’s why the Habs look so good, have so many good prospects, and have so much to play for last year, this year, next year, etc.
Well. The habs had like 20 million dollars committed into unmoveable bottom 6 players.

Also, they’ve only been around 2 drafts. There have been like 15 players over the last two drafts that have played nhl games, a testament to how soon it is to tell what’s going on. I think Slaf has played more nhl games than all combined or something close to that.

If the prospect pool is bare it’s because the drafts preceding the last two were quite poor. And if there is little talent on the current club, it’s because the previous GM did a very poor job in accumulating talent.

HuGo basically arrived with 0 depth in goaltending and at the forward position. There is no way to solve both with only two drafts.

I get your frustrations, but it’s far too early for any GM to substantially turn this ship around.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
For me I broadly "agree" with everything on the list behind Allen (which I was fine with at the time and don't currently think is a big deal, but it's obviously not good value today). I dunno, I'm generally bullish on the FO but it's not really meaningful to look at things in this this way IMO. At the end of the day it's going to come down to the big stuff, not the batting average on Pezzetta extensions and there's an inherent amount of speculation in evaluating the big stuff when Slafkovsky isn't even 20 years old yet. All these threads of The Direction Of The Franchise boil down to whether the top few guys (Slafkovsky, Reinbacher, Hutson, implied 2024 high 1st, arguably Dach) are going to be enough to elevate Suzuki and Caufield, and whether our development is going to be normal or if we're still in the dark ages.

Personally I don't really think there's much reason to believe that development is going to be this absolute fatal flaw going forward anymore given the early returns on young players already, but I understand why people want to be fully convinced. I certainly don't blame people for waiting to see what prospects become when they're evaluating the team, but it pretty much creates a dichotomy of either being "homers" that are penciling in future growth of young players and prospects when evaluating the medium/long-term future and the "haters" who are waiting to see it play out and are recognizing that the roster doesn't currently have enough talent.

At this point we're just going to argue about this shit until things become clear one way or the other. We're in a rebuild which inherently means some level of speculation on how prospects will develop, it is what it is.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Well. The habs had like 20 million dollars committed into unmoveable bottom 6 players.
Genuinely, Cap space wasn’t an issue at any point of Hughes’ tenure. We have a lot of cap inefficiencies for sure — some of which were brought on by Hughes himself — but that’s not been in the way of acquiring good players (which Hughes has not been able to do). He says he wants a winning culture but doesn’t acquire good players to improve the roster and doesn’t sell Anderson to tank.
Also, they’ve only been around 2 drafts. They are less than 15 players over the last two drafts that have played nhl games. I think Slaf has played more nhl games than all combined or something close to that.
That’s fine, but the prospect pool doesn’t look better than when he took over.
If the prospect pool is bare it’s because the drafts preceding the last two were quite poor. And if there is little talent on the current club, it’s because the previous GM did a very poor job in accumulating talent.
True. And Hughes hasn’t helped at all. You know how I feel about Slaf no need to debate — we can agree to disagree.
HuGo basically arrived with 0 depth in goaltending and at the forward position. There is no way to solve both with only two drafts.
He hasn’t solved any of them. Not remotely.
I get your frustrations, but it’s far too early for any GM to substantially turn this ship around.
It’s far too early to claim he is a good GM but so many Habs fans do it anyway and make excuses for him anyway.

Bergevin had a plan too, Bergevin was a breath of fresh air too. I remember it well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad