Hughson/Simpson

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Can CBC really not do any better than these 2? We've been stuck with them for the majority of their broadcasts the past 2 years. Ripping the leafs any chance they get, excited to see the smaller market team's best the Leafs, and gushing over anything Vancouver does. doesn't the #1 market in Canada deserve better than this? Bring back Cole please.

Thanks for listening.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Can CBC really not do any better than these 2? We've been stuck with them for the majority of their broadcasts the past 2 years. Ripping the leafs any chance they get, excited to see the smaller market team's best the Leafs, and gushing over anything Vancouver does. doesn't the #1 market in Canada deserve better than this? Bring back Cole please.

Thanks for listening.

Well, they no longer work for CBC. They work for Sportsnet. Remember that the CBC HNIC games are produced by Sportsnet and merely air on CBC.

And they have been the primary HNIC broadcasters for Leaf games since the 2008-09 season (according to Wikipedia).

And as I've said elsewhere, much of what any announcer says goes in one ear and out the other for me. So, to be honest, I've never really noticed any serious negativity from them -- unlike their former broadcast teammate Glenn Healy who did seem to have a lot of negativity towards the Leafs.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Well, they no longer work for CBC. They work for Sportsnet. Remember that the CBC HNIC games are produced by Sportsnet and merely air on CBC.

And they have been the primary HNIC broadcasters for Leaf games since the 2008-09 season (according to Wikipedia).

And as I've said elsewhere, much of what any announcer says goes in one ear and out the other for me. So, to be honest, I've never really noticed any serious negativity from them -- unlike their former broadcast teammate Glenn Healy who did seem to have a lot of negativity towards the Leafs.

You never hear Hughson's excitement when the other team beats Toronto?

Every game I yell: "#### you Hughson!" I never cheer against the other team. I cheer against the announcers.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Saturday night used to be special. For years, Bob Cole hid his fandom and made the broadcast exciting. Especially when the Leafs were good.
Now, it’s awful.

jwalk

Mar 25, 2006
AJAX
IMO for the vast majority of the broadcasts I find both of them to be very professional and unbiased . Simpson is one of the best colour guys in the business as he’s very insightful .
These national / regional broadcast teams aren’t supposed to be like home team radio teams which are huge homers . I think some Leaf fans confuse that fact and the fact on National Broadcasts that there are 2 teams playing .
Having said that I do acknowledge that Hughson occasionally shows that he’s not a Leaf fan like at the end of the Leaf - Canuck game last fall when he said “ Its always a great Saturday Night when you beat Toronto “. That was pretty unprofessional but for the vast majority of the broadcasts I find him to be pretty neutral. He compliments the Leafs just as much as he rips them

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Don't care about Simpson, that smarmy a-hole Hughson on the other hand needs to f*** off.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I don't know how we haven't bought the best announcers out there yet

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Having said that I do acknowledge that Hughson occasionally shows that he’s not a Leaf fan like at the end of the Leaf - Canuck game last fall when he said “ Its always a great Saturday Night when you beat Toronto “. That was pretty unprofessional but for the vast majority of the broadcasts I find him to be pretty neutral. He compliments the Leafs just as much as he rips them
In my opinion when Hughson said those comments he should have been taken off from broadcasting anymore Leafs games for Rogers. As you said their national broadcasts are supposed to be neutral and that comment was far from it.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Let’s focus on getting rid of Romanuk/Millen before we run Hughson and Simpson out of town. They are great announcers. So while you get outraged at the micro aggressions perpetrated by Hughson I think most fans are fine with having them call leafs games.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let’s focus on getting rid of Romanuk/Millen before we run Hughson and Simpson out of town. They are great announcers. So while you get outraged at the micro aggressions perpetrated by Hughson I think most fans are fine with having them call leafs games.
As bad as Romanuk and Millen are, Hughson and Simpson in my opinion are a lot worse.

We have the example of how Hughson said his comment about how great it was when Vancouver defeated the Leafs in December and how much more excited he gets when the Canucks score a goal against the Leafs. He is supposed to be the lead announcer for HNIC and has a bias against Toronto.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Leaf game, Saturday night, in Toronto says to me screw neutrality. Thats our barn and our home game and thats just the way it is.

I have simply not bought my center ice package and canceled my satellite package at times or completely dropped it back to very little.

I just need a mobile mifi like freedom pop here in Canada and I won't be paying for a cell phone plan either. Screw these guys, I don't complain i just figure out ways to stop giving them ny money.

Canadian sports television sucks and so does our cell phone prices. Oops i ranted lol.

We get inferior product in so many ways that it's imperative i strike back at their wallets.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

HandshakeLineRespect

Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
As bad as Romanuk and Millen are, Hughson and Simpson in my opinion are a lot worse.

We have the example of how Hughson said his comment about how great it was when Vancouver defeated the Leafs in December and how much more excited he gets when the Canucks score a goal against the Leafs. He is supposed to be the lead announcer for HNIC and has a bias against Toronto.
Lol they are not worse that Romanuk and Millen.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I'm no Jim Hughson fan but listening to Romanuk and Millen makes me pine for Vancouver Jimmy.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Hughson is deplorable and clearly hates the Maple Leafs, he doesn't even deny it. Simpson is terrible too.

The informal consensus I get from hearing other Leaf fans talk about these guys is that we DO NOT WANT THEM doing our games!!!!!!

Get rid of Hughson should be the Battle Cry!!!!!!

If he just stuck to his job he wouldn't be so bad, as it is he is so hell bent on slamming the Maple Leafs he get's in his own way.

Last edited:

HandshakeLineRespect

Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
They are worse when it's obvious they are not trashing everything the Leafs are doing.

Romanuk and Millen can be down right stupid like they were last night, however that's far different from Hughson and Simpson being anti Leafs.
You’re in the minority. If there was a poll it would be like 9 to 1 in favour of the HNIC crew.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009

I have watched a lot of broadcasts done by the local broadcasters from other teams this season. To one degree or another... all have some allegiance with the team that they cover. Regardless of one's opinion of "homerism" on a broadcast... I really don't think that Maple Leafs fans deserve to be forced to listen to a crew that is clearly against Toronto every Saturday night. I used to watch every Leafs game on HNIC... but the chore of listening to those two clowns has just gotten to be too much. Rogers should be very concerned about this situation... they have absolutely no hope of making their NHL deal work without millions of Leaf fans watching HNIC.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I have watched a lot of broadcasts done by the local broadcasters from other teams this season. To one degree or another... all have some allegiance with the team that they cover. Regardless of one's opinion of "homerism" on a broadcast... I really don't think that Maple Leafs fans deserve to be forced to listen to a crew that is clearly against Toronto every Saturday night. I used to watch every Leafs game on HNIC... but the chore of listening to those two clowns has just gotten to be too much. Rogers should be very concerned about this situation... they have absolutely no hope of making their NHL deal work without millions of Leaf fans watching HNIC.
Rogers should bring Joe Bowen back on TV for games on a weekday and if it's a Saturday night game bring back Bob Cole.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad