Speculation: Hughes and Pettersson's Next Contracts

What will the next contracts be for Hughes and Pettersson?

• Total voters

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Hughes new deal likely isn't likely to be signed soon.

As a 10.2C contract negotiation this is the only RFA that the Canucks truly have leverage to keep cost controlled and have no external offer-sheet risk. They ought to sign him last after Pettersson, Garland, and Dickinson. See what money you have left after that and see how many years you can buy with it. Could be 1, could be 2 or 3 or 4, etc.

Last edited:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Signing a 6-year term was a big mistake. Walks Makar to free agency without buying the Max UFA years.

His contract should have expired before he became a UFA or been for the Max 8 years.

Watch out for this with Pete and Quinn.

ps Horvat's contract will end with him being a UFA.

I think that term is overrated in this regard. If the team and the player are happy, they will re-sign. If the team and player are unhappy, it will likely be a trade long before they ever reach the end of the contract term.

Reactions: The Redditeer

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hughes new deal likely isn't likely to be signed soon.

As a 10.2C contract negotiation this is the only RFA that the Canucks truly have leverage to keep cost controlled and have n0 external offer-sheet risk. They ought to sign him last after Pettersson, Garland, and Dickinson. See what money you have left after that and see how many years you can buy with it. Could be 1, could be 2 or 3 or 4, etc.

Will probably follow the Boeser/Horvat negotiations where it's signed in September because our poor cap management means we have to maneuver when we sign players that are actual useful to the team's future.

Hughes should get $7.5M on a bridge or $8M on a full.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think that term is overrated in this regard. If the team and the player are happy, they will re-sign. If the team and player are unhappy, it will likely be a trade long before they ever reach the end of the contract term.
My thoughts on term for guys coming off elc are this:
1) ideally do bridge for most players. I’d group Brock and Bo into this group. And I would also put Quinn here given he needs work on his overall game. This gets these guys to rfa again around 25/26. So even if you have to do maximum term on the next deal it’s still taking them to around 33/34 which is as far as you would like to go.
Negative is that the player them has leverage on the next deal cause they could arbitration their way to ufa. Forces the team to be in position to be a good team to convince them to stay.
2) for the guys who you are concerned about wear and tear on like the Tkachuk brothers due to the style of their game then max term makes more sense. Takes them to around 29/30. May still have a couple of good years left but you protect yourself against a massive drop due to their style of game.
Matt figured this out and went bridge. Think Brady should do the same from his POV to maximize his money.
3) buying some ufa years like 5/6 year term. These are likely the terms that you have to give to elite players. As it gets them the most money. Takes them to ufa to around 28 so then they do max term to like 36. Have to taken the potential of a declining year or two on these guys. But these are your core guys to which Petey falls into.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Hughes should be 3 yrs at 6.5
Petey 8 yrs 9 mil

Id happily take that.

There is a benefit of going the bridge route with Pettersson too. If he signs 8 years now, his contract will expire when he’s 31. It would be better in the long run to sign him for 3 years now, then 8 years, so that his next contract could expire at 34. But hey, that’s years away. But something worthy of consideration.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Id happily take that.

There is a benefit of going the bridge route with Pettersson too. If he signs 8 years now, his contract will expire when he’s 31. It would be better in the long run to sign him for 3 years now, then 8 years, so that his next contract could expire at 34. But hey, that’s years away. But something worthy of consideration.
As per my post above yours a bridge for players puts them with more leverage and forces the team to be good come 2024. With how Benning ha s managed the roster what will it look like in 3 years to convince guys to stay. Quinn on a bridge still has 2 rfa years. But once the player opts for arbitration and settles it that way more likely than not the player is going to leave.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
After yesterday's trade, I am now of the mindset that the Canucks need to do a hard pivot and bridge Pettersson and Hughes for as little $ as possible and create a dinky little 2-3 year Cup window and go all-in.

After seeing the return Seth Jones got with 1 yr remaining on his contract, we then re-examine an extension or a full on rebuild. I would likely go with the latter. This never would've been my plan, but it feels like the only option that makes sense. We've painted ourselves into a corner.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
After yesterday's trade, I am now of the mindset that the Canucks need to do a hard pivot and bridge Pettersson and Hughes for as little $ as possible and create a dinky little 2-3 year Cup window and go all-in.

After seeing the return Seth Jones got with 1 yr remaining on his contract, we then re-examine an extension or a full on rebuild. I would likely go with the latter. This never would've been my plan, but it feels like the only option that makes sense. We've painted ourselves into a corner.
Jones was willing to hit ufa in 2022 and would only extend with a couple of team which limits the return. He’s under contract so he’s obligated to play for cbs.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Has either Hughes or pettersson said they are willing to take a bridge deal?

I am a sucker. Beat me. Give me a bridge deal. Not only do I look like a donkey. I want my team jersey to signal "on a bridge deal" as well.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Av's just signed Makar to a six year, $54.3m extension. Works out to just under $9m a season.

If that's the benchmark for the Hughes contract, the Canucks are in a world of trouble.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The Av's just signed Makar to a six year, $54.3m extension. Works out to just under $9m a season.

If that's the benchmark for the Hughes contract, the Canucks are in a world of trouble.

If my math is correct it's actually just over $9Mil AAV.

Makar's deal essentially puts Hughes in and around $8M AAV. We are definitely screwed.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
If my math is correct it's actually just over $9Mil AAV.

Makar's deal essentially puts Hughes in and around $8M AAV. We are definitely screwed.
Yep.
8 mil for a defenceman that can't play on the PK, vs the other team's top lines, evaporates in the playoffs without sheltered minutes and 65% offensive zone starts or play defence 5 on 5.

Sounds like Eriksson only at defence
Lots of money to play defence but can't vs lots of money to score but doesn't

The last playoffs
Hughes was on the ice for 16 of the 33 goals against, 3 times as many as any other player

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yep.
8 mil for a defenceman that can't play on the PK, vs the other team's top lines, evaporates in the playoffs without sheltered minutes and 65% offensive zone starts or play defence 5 on 5.

Sounds like Eriksson only at defence
Lots of money to play defence but can't vs lots of money to score but doesn't

The last playoffs
Hughes was on the ice for 16 of the 33 goals against, 3 times as many as any other player

He's coming up on 22yrs old. Lets ease up on the "Eriksson on defense" label. Dmen take a lot longer to develop at the NHL level than forwards do even in today's NHL.

I may not want to pay Hughes $8M AVV but he's not far off that value. My opinion though.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Hughes should be 3 yrs at 6.5
Petey 8 yrs 9 mil

I don’t know if Pettersson is really worth 9 million just yet, he could be worth that but he still has more to show to be worth that kinda money. I think Pettersson and Hughes are in the 7 million territory for now. 9 million seems way too much for Petey.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
He's coming up on 22yrs old. Lets ease up on the "Eriksson on defense" label. Dmen take a lot longer to develop at the NHL level than forwards do even in today's NHL.

I may not want to pay Hughes $8M AVV but he's not far off that value. My opinion though.

Hughes isn’t bad at defensive at all, I don’t get why some blow it up worse than it is.

Reactions: MikeK

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I am hoping 3 yr bridge on Hughes, 3 x $6 M... a show me contract.

I would love for a 8 x $8.5 M EP deal. It means we have no money left for overpaid UFA's. Not one signed by Benning has been anything but an anchor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad