Hudon, De La Rose or McCarron

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I think I actually saw big Mike throw a body check last night, I was shocked. When he isn't being physical, he looks terrible.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't see what DLR is going to learn in the AHL. When he gets sent down he doesn't play an offensive role, he plays the shutdown forward role like in the NHL.

It's funny how people have fallen out of love with DLR after loving him last season. As long as we expect a bottom-6 player who brings energy and not many goals we're going to be happy. If we expect a top-6 player who scores 25G a season we'll just be disappointed.

No he was used in an offensive role in the AHL this year, just not at the start of the season. He started out on the 3rd line with Dumont and Scherbak, but later he was on the 1st and 2nd lines and was actually just starting to put up points and then we recalled him. Here's something I posted in the DLR thread,

in the first part of the season, he had 2 pts in 13 games, at the time of his recall though, he had 7 pts in 11 games

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
None of them will make the October lineup but if I had to choose one it would be DLR. Management is in love with him. Hudon will yo-yo like Andrighetto did this year. McCarron has no chance of making the team without a huge summer. He doesn't look like he belongs in the NHL right now.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
Honestly, I have no idea.

JDLR has been in the lineup before and has playoff experience but we also have several other players who can play his role and most are on one way contracts. JDLR is competing with Mitchell, Eller, Danault, McCarron and, hopefully, *Desharnais for a bottom-6 center spot and I can see one or two of them being moved. Other then McCarron, I'm not sure which will be.

McCarron an interesting option but the better decision long-term may be to send him down and let him play in a consistent top-6 role. I see him, long term, as a middle-6 player but am not sure he'll get there through fourth line duties and power play minutes alone.

I'm not sure how Hudon would fit on a fourth line but could see him doing well playing on the third and potentially filling in for injuries on the top-2 lines if needed but that's also where I currently have Carr penciled in. Carr being an RFA at the end of the season may mean he starts in the AHL again if they intend to keep both but I can see one of Hudon, Carr or (less likely now) Andrighetto being moved in the off season. At the moment, I think that's most likely to be Carr but it may come down to best return.

Tough to say, there's too much uncertainty surrounding the team right now.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
I can see one of Hudon, Carr or (less likely now) Andrighetto being moved in the off season. At the moment, I think that's most likely to be Carr but it may come down to best return.

Clearly Andrighetto. Eller and Ghetto are pretty much the only bargaining chips we have as Forwards that can - if packaged - give us a worthwhile return.

I would also include DLR in this mix but he doesn't have any trade value. He would be a throw-in that would make a deal but alone little to no return.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'm terribly sorry but this is TOTALLY wrong. Mac right now shows that he can't sustain a shift in the NHL. It should come with time as Mac, not that long ago, was also showing he couldn't sustain an entire shift....in juniors. Imagine in the NHL. He has much lower IQ than Hudon. And frankly....would be neat to see Hudon more in order to compare them both and just before saying that Hudon is worst NOW.....I know one thing. Mac is not showing me anything that warrants him a longer look in the NHL. Same with DLR who should be all over a job and looks totally lost out there.

Now, I'm NOT saying Mac will never make it all. And he CLEARLY MIGHT be a better player in the LONG run....for sure. But today? And even next year? I'm so not sure about that. I'd probably love to see Mac with another full season in the AHL. With possibily first callups all year long. And then full time the year after. But he still has so many things to learn, more skating to improve, more physicail stamina to gain. Greater balance to achieve.

But as of now, the biggest critics we had about Mac in juniors at one point, which was stamina and balance....I guess you can live with that in juniors. You will NEVER be able to live with that in the NHL as bad your team is. And that, he needs some seasoning in lower levels and in the gym. Oh and please....enough ****ing with the young players....are people really convinced this guy is a centerman? Starting to think it makes more sense to convert Scherbak in a centerman than him....But to be sure we know about that...continue using him at both positions in the AHL....but get your opinion quick and fix it.

You're right about one thing. McCaron looks somewhat off balance like Leclair used to when he was first called up way back when. The big man doesn't seem to have quite found his footing in that large frame of his. It will come and, even when it does, he will still look awkward getting things done.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
Clearly Andrighetto. Eller and Ghetto are pretty much the only bargaining chips we have as Forwards that can - if packaged - give us a worthwhile return.

I would also include DLR in this mix but he doesn't have any trade value. He would be a throw-in that would make a deal but alone little to no return.

If they're trading for a NHL player then for sure Ghetto is going the other way but I don't think that is the only trade option. Given their cap space, I can see them trying to address their current need via Free Agency first. If successful, then I think the more likely trade would be Carr or Ghetto for a younger prospect with an equivalent skill set. I don't think a draft pick is likely but only because I think they wait until after the Draft unless they get a sweetheart deal. If they are trading to buy time with a prospect then I think Carr goes before Ghetto.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You're right about one thing. McCaron looks somewhat off balance like Leclair used to when he was first called up way back when. The big man doesn't seem to have quite found his footing in that large frame of his. It will come and, even when it does, he will still look awkward getting things done.

Leclair never looked "off balance" at any point. His strength and skating were elite from the start.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Imo whatever they do with Mac is fine with me, he is progressing perfectly imo

i thought it was imperative he get a taste of the NHL this year, see what its really like, and then go back to working on his overall game

de la rose, whatever, i think he's fine, his inexperience is kind of showing MORe than it should because were a **** team right now, but when were back to full strentgh players like de la rose are very valuable. whatever they do with him is fine with me too

hudon however, has been working longer and harder in the AHL and has been putting up the points on TERRIBLE teams/gutted by the habs teams

personally i think he should play in the NHL rest of the year, get him more of a taste for NHL as well, he and lessio make my team next year

but whatever they do honest, im happy with the kids, its too bad the habs have been decimated by injuries but at least kids are getting IMPORTANT NHL time

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Leclair never looked "off balance" at any point. His strength and skating were elite from the start.

John Leclair was one of my favourite players, but even I have to admit he was on his butt a lot in his first two years.

If they're trading for a NHL player then for sure Ghetto is going the other way but I don't think that is the only trade option. Given their cap space, I can see them trying to address their current need via Free Agency first. If successful, then I think the more likely trade would be Carr or Ghetto for a younger prospect with an equivalent skill set. I don't think a draft pick is likely but only because I think they wait until after the Draft unless they get a sweetheart deal. If they are trading to buy time with a prospect then I think Carr goes before Ghetto.

Carr is not as likely to be traded because he is still waiver-exempt next year and he still has NHL potential. I can't see anyone else giving us more for him than we might get just by playing him waiting another year.

Last edited by a moderator:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Cole was on his ass every game. Didn't stop him from having an awesome season on the scoreboard. Centre of gravity issue in my mind. Sometimes it's just physics.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I answered the actual question in the the OP. Others are arguing a different
question. Posters are talking about which players should play in the NHL.
This has nothing to do with the question in the poll.

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
I predict that in the long run McCarron will prove to be a much more significant player than Hudon. If I'm wrong, so be it.

I got to think most would agree with you. Unless he really improves
a lot over the off-season, I think bringing him up to Montreal is a big
mistake. Limiting the development of this sort of prospect can't be the
right approach.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Gotta make you wonder what Hudons done. The organization just doesnt want to give him a chance.

De la rose can skate around and do nothing and play. You had christian thomas doing squat. Big mac currently completely in over his head. Fringe nhlers in flynn, brown on the roster.

Hudon gets hardly a sniff despite being St johns best player

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
HAD to be sent down? i dunno...matteau isnt bothering me or antything but i just dont see how not calling up hudon to play some NHL games is a "good" thing for him

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
HAD to be sent down? i dunno...matteau isnt bothering me or antything but i just dont see how not calling up hudon to play some NHL games is a "good" thing for him

Emergency recall is to replace a player (it was for Matteau). So Hudon, by NHL rules, had to be send down when Matteau was back.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
I dont think any three of them will be better than a C player or a B- barely second line at best.
At this time I think a more important question will be what good veterans will have to offered up to expansion in 2 or 3 years.
If Markov is traded or goes UFA, Im thinking the contracts of Emelin, Plekanec or Desharnais will be juggled so one of them goes to an expansion team.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Hudon needs one more year of bulking and strengthening up, so AHL for him.

McCarron needs one more year of pro-level skating and reacting on a daily basis, so AHL for him.

DLR... What he still has to develop or learn can be done at the NHL level, I think (shoot more, pass faster, always moving). So NHL for him.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Starting to think Hudon will have a similar career path to Matt D'Agostini.

no way in hell. D'Agostini was never anywhere near as good as Hudon. Never liked Matt's game. Even with that little streak he had at the beginning. So one dimensional.

and lol at people writing off McCarron all ready. That's really effed up.

DLR? Personally I thought he played fine in his role. I've said it a million times but I don't know why we're so quick to call him up all the time. I don't think he can be an offensive juggernaut but a lot more than he's shown. People are really hard on him. If he wasn't a Euro this would be his rookie year. If he was 22-23 playing like this then I would be pretty meh on him but the kid's freaking 20. he looks better and more effective than last year. Carries the puck better.

He'll probably have the albatross of being a high 2nd rounder around his neck like Eller and the Halak trade and no one will like him because he has 'no offense'. Or that he's our 3rd rated prospect which I think's a little high. Long term he could be a great player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad