Hudler vs Vanek

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Vanek. No hesitation. He's a better hockey player and he fits our needs better. The 600k difference in salary isn't enough to make up for that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Fit is 100x better with Vanek.

Hudler might be more productive this season, but he would be incredibly redundant to what we have on this roster.

MTU hockey

Mar 4, 2013
Colorado
Fit is 100x better with Vanek.

Hudler might be more productive this season, but he would be incredibly redundant to what we have on this roster.

Agree with this 100%

Vanek. No hesitation. He's a better hockey player and he fits our needs better. The 600k difference in salary isn't enough to make up for that.

I disagree with this. Hudler has been been the more productive player the past few seasons and if you think there is a large gap between the two of them as far as hockey abilities I don't know what you're seeing. I think both players are only good for 40-50 points at this point in their careers, both are slow skaters, Vanek has a better shot, Hudler is a better playmaker, Vanek is the better net front player/ puck tipper, hudler is a more well rounded offensive player.

Overall I think it's about a wash as far as their pros and cons, Vanek just fits our needs better as a big body net front presence, and shoot first player. Plus he's a right hand shot which is always welcome on this team.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
I think it depends on what you're getting out of the two players, and it's a tough question to ask at this moment. Hudler was a trade deadline rental this year and his value was a 2nd+. Meanwhile, Vanek was bought out by Minnesota after a couple of down years.

Historically, Vanek has been the better player, and his contract heading into 2017 is a higher salary. For what the Wings are looking for from Vanek/Hudler, I am happy to have Vanek because of the different type of game he brings from what the Red Wings currently have. Salary doesn't play a vital role in this conversation because they're both so similar and only for one year.

The question about Vanek is whether or not he is going to be able to bounce back from a down year, or if last year was really the beginning of a major regression for him.

My final thought on this is that I think they both picked teams that are going to be good matches for them. Hudler's offensive potential will be so much higher going to Dallas than it would be if he landed back in Detroit, imo.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Vanek is the better fit for the wings stylistically but it looks like Hudler is the more productive/ threatening offensive player in the last little bit

Detroit obviously values Vanek's right handedness, net front presence, and shot which are all unique to him/ Hudler is lacking in

Hudler's probably going to do pretty well on Dallas though, like 50 points wouldn't be unexpected assuming he gets some time on the ice with Benn, Seguin, and Klingberg over the course of the year

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
It comes down to what Vanek we get out there.

Because if they produce the same, I'd take the guy with the lower hit as we aren't going to be a defensive juggernaut team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Pointless questions since Hudler would be unlikely to sign for us for 2.0m x 1 year. Playing for a powerhouse offense in Dallas will boost his numbers and he'll get a nice contract next year.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Both players have ended up at teams that fit them better. Hudler is the slightly better player based on recent evidence, but a small, nippy but not quick playmaker is about the only roster need the wings DON'T have...

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Pointless questions since Hudler would be unlikely to sign for us for 2.0m x 1 year. Playing for a powerhouse offense in Dallas will boost his numbers and he'll get a nice contract next year.

What type of contract are you thinking? He'll be 33 going on 34 next July.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I'm not sure there's a huge difference, but at least Vanek plays a different game. That said, I agree with everyone who thinks Hudler will have a great numbers season in Dallas. No doubt there will be a lot of hindsight bias, if you ask this question again in April.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Vanek is a good fit for what the Wings want in a scoring winger right now. Perhaps the closest replacement for Franzen they've been able to find.

Hudler is a good player but he wouldn't fit as well. Both contracts represent the type that are very difficult to criticize because they bring in skilled players on short term for little cash. I'd be happy with either.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Hudler is the smarter player but Vanek is the better player for us. Both are slow, incomplete, and have seen better days but Vanek is the bigger frame and the more opportunistic scorer.

...Wait...People know Vanek was once compared to Homer as a PP deflection artist, right? He may not be that today, but he still knows his way around the net better than a lot of secondhand guys.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Don't really care about fit or need for one year because this team is going to blow anyway. I take hudler cause he's more entertaining.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The shoot first righty is exactly what the wings are lacking.

Precisely. I wouldn't mind having a couple more shoot first guys on this team to be honest. Playmakers are great and all, but they aren't worth much when there aren't shooters to pass to.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Don't really care about fit or need for one year because this team is going to blow anyway. I take hudler cause he's more entertaining.

xczMQRk.gif

That's pretty darn entertaining and from last season.

*Holland signs Hudler*
OMG HOLLAND AND HIS RETREAD VETS GRRRRR SHOULD'VE SIGNED VANEK AT LEAST HE HAS GOAL SCORING POTENTIAL GRRRRR

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hudler is the smarter player but Vanek is the better player for us. Both are slow, incomplete, and have seen better days but Vanek is the bigger frame and the more opportunistic scorer.

...Wait...People know Vanek was once compared to Homer as a PP deflection artist, right? He may not be that today, but he still knows his way around the net better than a lot of secondhand guys.

His hand-eye coordination is insane, or at least it was like you said. Not really sure if that's something you lose. If he's not on our 1st PP, I'd really like to hear Blashill explain why.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad