HSJ Article on Lane Lambert

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
What do you guys think?

Even though he is 55, seems like a guy who has paid his dues and is "ready"

Sadly, even though a lot of people want him including myself, she is right about Gallant, does he even want to come to this lol.....

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I've had the feeling Lambert is the guy Yzerman is really considering. Hiring Cooper in Tampa worked out pretty well, previous NHL HC experience probably isn't a must. Gallant will likely be a hot commodity for teams in win now mode looking for a new coach. I think he'd be willing to come here with his connection to Yzerman but seems doubtful he'd pick us over an offer from a team that's ready to contend.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Craig Custance has floated Lambert as a potential coach so that's a sign that he could be the next coach. I want Gallant because he's had a nice run in both Florida and Vegas, so he knows how to coach an NHL team to success.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Gallant is not a Xs and Os guys. He seems to rally his team and then watch them fade.
Not sure if Lambert is the best guy. Laviollette, IMO, is the best guy out there.
But again, like Gallant, why would he come to Detroit?

The big news here, to me, is HSJ just wrote a long article about Blashill's successor.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Lambert may be a logical choice for where the team is now. Next season will be a transition but there's still work to be done and contracts to wait out. A guy looking to test his mettle will have more interest in coaching the Wings than an accomplished coach. Gallant's history in Detroit may make it more appealing. I'm on the Gallant train but won't be shocked if it does not happen.

Fynn

Apr 23, 2017
Lambert may be a logical choice for where the team is now. Next season will be a transition but there's still work to be done and contracts to wait out. A guy looking to test his mettle will have more interest in coaching the Wings than an accomplished coach. Gallant's history in Detroit may make it more appealing. I'm on the Gallant train but won't be shocked if it does not happen.
Agreed. Still so much dead weight like Abby, Nielsen, etc. Thankfully, we're done with Daley and Green after this season. Unfortunately, the "young guys" aren't all that young anymore and Blashill has done nothing to take these guys to the next level. I don't get his reputation for "developing" young players. The scars of losing will stay with them. Where is all this veteran leadership we're supposed to have? They don't come to play most nights. We still have no goaltending and nothing on the horizon. No generational player in this years draft, and no guarantee the Wings even get a #1 pick with as bad as they are. The only shot the Wings have of getting a decent head coach is the appeal of playing for Yzerman or someone who wants to come "home" or is looking to get his first head coaching gig. Otherwise this will be a shit job for years to come.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I really like the way Trotz describes Lambert in the article.

“He’s got a really tremendous understanding of the game,” Trotz said. “He’s passionate. He’ll listen. I think he’s a demanding teacher, and he is all in on winning. There’s no agendas. You talk about the ultimate team player — that’s Lane.

This is my favorite part of the article. No agendas? You mean...no playing favorites cause reasons? No mind games? No RealGud™?

Add that to the fact that the guy has stayed on as a student under Trotz for this long and it really makes you think he keeps his ego out of the dressing room. Our guys could really use a coach who is just there to teach.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I really like the way Trotz describes Lambert in the article.

This is my favorite part of the article. No agendas? You mean...no playing favorites cause reasons? No mind games? No RealGud™?

Add that to the fact that the guy has stayed on as a student under Trotz for this long and it really makes you think he keeps his ego out of the dressing room. Our guys could really use a coach who is just there to teach.

He would be the first head coach in the history of hockey with that and he absolutely had favorites when I watched the guy in Milwaukee. Good coach, I would welcome him with open arms. But all coaches do this and all of them play lines you're not going to like as fans.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He would be the first head coach in the history of hockey with that and he absolutely had favorites when I watched the guy in Milwaukee. Good coach, I would welcome him with open arms. But all coaches do this and all of them play lines you're not going to like as fans.

I thought it was clear I was speaking in reference to the extremes a certain coach tended to take here but I guess not.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Gallant is not a Xs and Os guys. He seems to rally his team and then watch them fade.
Not sure if Lambert is the best guy. Laviollette, IMO, is the best guy out there.
But again, like Gallant, why would he come to Detroit?

The big news here, to me, is HSJ just wrote a long article about Blashill's successor.

there's a lot of big name guys on the market right now,not all of them are gonna get what they are looking for

will it be Gallant or Laviolette specifically on the outside looking in? I guess we'll have to wait and see,but taking a job on the Wings becomes a lot more appealing if they're the only team offering you a head coaching gig or if your other options aren't willing to give you the term or money you want

Reactions: MBH

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah. It usually goes this way. Same thing what happened at Colorado.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Based on what little we know, I like the idea of Lambert better than Gallant. Gerard has been very successful, but he seems to be more a players coach that has a short term emotional impact, but isn't technically savvy enough to handle all the ups and downs long term. Lambert seems like he eats, sleeps, and breathes a study of the game, and, once he got his feet wet running a bench, could be a great head coach for the next 5-10 years.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Seems relevant. And seems like it’s going to cause a meltdown. I’m excited for it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad