Hronek will be our Krug/Timmonen Hybrid

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm more than satisfied with how Cholowski started his NHL career, given the circumstances of being thrown in the deep end amidst a plethora of defensive injuries on an already bad defense.

I'm downright thrilled with how Hronek did.

Anything else is more speculation and less substance than I'm willing to engage in. Hopefully they both continue to impress, and Detroit can get a better supporting cast to further their growth.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I’ve always seen him as being something similar to Justin Faulk, or having a similar impact.

Still feel that way. If he can continue to improve his defensive game he could become more. But feels like the most likely outcome to me.

Good call, best comparison for him in this thread.

Reactions: Henkka

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Reminds me of Zidlicky a lot, Rafalski too. Somewhere in-between those two fellas.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Also Quincey for all his warts was a 2nd pairing guy at his peak.
Yeah, just like Jensen was our #1D.

He's 33 and not even in the league anymore, I was being generous when I called him 3rd pair as with Lilja and Lebda who didn't finish their career in the NHL either.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
He finished at half a point a game. There are teams who advanced to the 2nd round of the playoffs and beyond that don't have a defenseman who scored as much.
Despite his slight size (he is probably somewhere around 180-185 these days), he is actually much better than players like Ericsson who is much bigger in front of the net and in the corners because he always indentifies his man and covers him and engages whereas Ericsson and some of other defensemen stand around clueless half of the time\ before realizing there is an in front of the net.
Hronek is very competitive and seems to have a wiry strength. He is still filling out and he seems like a guy that will work hard to gain strength. He doesn't like being pushed around and he seems like a hard working character type.

This is typically how Hronek plays in his own end. Kempny scored from the blueline but Wilson was heading to the front of the net Hronek stopped him and as Wilson attempted to reach for a tip Hronek tied up his stick preventing him from doing so but the shot from the blueline eluded Howard anyway.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
just using Trouba as a an archetype as i am a fan of both the wings and jets

Hronek in his 21 YO season: 23 pts in 46 gp, 14 5v5 pts, 1.12 5v5 pts/60, 51.10 CF%,

Trouba in his 21 YO season: 21 pts in 81 gp, 13 5v5 pts, 0.56 5v5 pts/60, 51.77 CF%

Trouba was ahead defensively but Hronek offensively was better at the same. Trouba really took off offensively the following year

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
just using Trouba as a an archetype as i am a fan of both the wings and jets

Hronek in his 21 YO season: 23 pts in 46 gp, 14 5v5 pts, 1.12 5v5 pts/60, 51.10 CF%,

Trouba in his 21 YO season: 21 pts in 81 gp, 13 5v5 pts, 0.56 5v5 pts/60, 51.77 CF%

Trouba was ahead defensively but Hronek offensively was better at the same. Trouba really took off offensively the following year

Trouba and Hronek aren't really two guy's I would compare. Trouba is going to spend his career being a better all around defender. Hronek, likely spends his career as a #2/#4 PMD paired with a guy like Trouba and anchoring a PP unit. That being said though, if I had to bet money on who ends their career with more points? I'd pick Hronek 9/10 times.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Trouba and Hronek aren't really two guy's I would compare. Trouba is going to spend his career being a better all around defender. Hronek, likely spends his career as a #2/#4 PMD paired with a guy like Trouba and anchoring a PP unit. That being said though, if I had to bet money on who ends their career with more points? I'd pick Hronek 9/10 times.
yea i think Trouba ends up better, but just pointing out Hronek offensively wasn't far off Trouba at the same age.... Trouba the following year starting doing really well offensively though.

Trouba imo, optically didn't look good QBing a PP (defenders didn't respect his shot, wasn't the best passer setting up Laine on the one-t, and at times he didn't think the game fast enough), but he was productive still.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
yea i think Trouba ends up better, but just pointing out Hronek offensively wasn't far off Trouba at the same age.... Trouba the following year starting doing really well offensively though.

Trouba imo, optically didn't look good QBing a PP (defenders didn't respect his shot, wasn't the best passer setting up Laine on the one-t, and at times he didn't think the game fast enough), but he was productive still.

Better in the sense he plays a more well rounded game. I think Hronek likely is better offensively though.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

Wasn't far off? Hronek was way ahead scoring more points in a little less than half of the games. About double the PPG pace on a lesser team (Winnpeg had 78 points and were a -24 that year, Detroit had 74 points and were a -48 last year).

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Trouba never has had good power-play chance at Winnipeg, because Byfuglien takes 1s PP role.

Hronek got more chance at Wings than Trouba ever at Jets so far.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
The difference in Hronek’s defensive game over the last year is incredible, especially after his last call up. I really don’t want to trade him simply because I have no idea what his ceiling is, Hronek has all the tools to develop way past where he was drafted. And my favorite thing is how he plays, feisty/physical with a booming slap shot? Yes please...

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I like Hronek a lot, and I’m not sure who I’d compare him to because I have no idea how much weight he’s going to be able to back on his frame. He already plays with more piss and vinegar than anyone else on the blue line for us, I just think he’s lacking the strength to truly be a force defensively.

Two players I’d like to see Hronek’s game emulate would be Josi or Giordano. Obviously not expecting him to be anywhere near as good, but I think he has the ability to be a complete player. It’s far too early to label him as a pure offensive defenseman.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Trouba never has had good power-play chance at Winnipeg, because Byfuglien takes 1s PP role.

I was just pointing out that the comment was far off from the truth.
As far as Hronek getting more chance on the PP than Trouba ever has with the Jets. Trouba played 2:04 per game on the PP this year while Hronek got 1:41 per game in the PP. In 15-16 Trouba played 1:17 on the PP and had 22:04 minutes of total ice-time per game and Hronek had 19:58 of total ice-time.
In total Hronek scored 5 PP points this in 77 minutes of ice-time.
In total Trouba scored 18 PP points in 169 minutes of ice-time this year and in 15-16 he scored 4 PP points in 104 minutes of ice-time.
Hronek's production is way ahead of Trouba's at the same age in every regard (in fact it is much closer to Trouba production this year and if you do points per 60 minutes of ice-time, they almost identical this year) and saying that "Hronek got more chance at Wings than Trouba ever at Jets so far" is simply erroneous.

Last edited:

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Trouba actually got a lot of PP1 time this season as Byfuglien was injured almost half the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad