Hronek 8th in Scoring among NHL Blueliners

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Nice start for Filip Hronek.
He somehow became the target of a lot of hate among the Red Wings' podcasters/bloggers and their followers.
He is what he is.
A good to perhaps excellent offensive defenseman who has his limits defensively.
Pretty impressive company for Hronek.

1670262014006.png

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
We Hronek defenders got battered around pretty good by his haters in recent years, but it was always clear that Hronek was being deployed in a role that was too big of him, solely because Detroit lacked a true #1 guy. Hronek is underrated defensively, but he can't fill a shut-down role, obviously. Once Hronek could get pushed down the lineup slightly, and paired with someone who could actually complement his game, he'd flourish to some degree. The offensive ability has always been there, the IQ, the high panic threshold, and the compete level. A solid profile for a guy who's undersized and sometimes over-matched defensively.

His play this year surprises me not at all. It's essentially what I've always expected (maybe not top-10 in points, though I also don't expect that to last through 82 games) Hronek to do if deployed correctly, with the right support.

There were rumors he was unhappy last year with his role, but I would guess, if true, that is no longer the case given his newfound success under Lalonde. Hopefully we re-sign the guy.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We Hronek defenders got battered around pretty good by his haters in recent years, but it was always clear that Hronek was being deployed in a role that was too big of him, solely because Detroit lacked a true #1 guy. Hronek is underrated defensively, but he can't fill a shut-down role, obviously. Once Hronek could get pushed down the lineup slightly, and paired with someone who could actually complement his game, he'd flourish to some degree. The offensive ability has always been there, the IQ, the high panic threshold, and the compete level. A solid profile for a guy who's undersized and sometimes over-matched defensively.

His play this year surprises me not at all. It's essentially what I've always expected (maybe not top-10 in points, though I also don't expect that to last through 82 games) Hronek to do if deployed correctly, with the right support.

There were rumors he was unhappy last year with his role, but I would guess, if true, that is no longer the case given his newfound success under Lalonde. Hopefully we re-sign the guy.

Hronek is just a Great Value Keith Yandle. In pretty much every way. He's not as good offensively as Yandle was nor as bad defensively.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

Well, he got bumped off the PP last season and not this season. He's already eclipsed his PP production from last year.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Well, he got bumped off the PP last season and not this season. He's already eclipsed his PP production from last year.
That is something good that your D can do. Outdo their PP Performance from the last time when it was disappointing.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yep. This point also made me curious to see how his ES points stack up compared to previous years....

'18-19 - 46 gp - 18 pts - 0.39 pts/gp
'19-20 - 65 gp - 21 pts - 0.32 pts/gp
'20-21 - 56 gp - 15 pts - 0.27 pts/gp
'21-22 - 78 gp - 31 pts - 0.40 pts/gp
'22-23 - 24 gp - 12 pts - 0.50 pts/gp

Not sure how sustainable this year's rate is, I'll be interested to see how it looks at the end of the season, but it's a career-high rate so far anyway.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hronek is just a Great Value Keith Yandle. In pretty much every way. He's not as good offensively as Yandle was nor as bad defensively.
You're a great value keith yandle!

On a serious note... my projected comp for Hronek (even prior to the NHL) was always the Carolina iteration of Justin Faulk... and I think those players are pretty 1:1. Faulk has gotten better defensively as he has gotten older, or maybe just since he went to St. Louis? Not sure, have not seen him as much the last few years.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Right. Yandle had no grit. Hronek at least battles.

You're a great value keith yandle!

On a serious note... my projected comp for Hronek (even prior to the NHL) was always the Carolina iteration of Justin Faulk... and I think those players are pretty 1:1. Faulk has gotten better defensively as he has gotten older, or maybe just since he went to St. Louis? Not sure, have not seen him as much the last few years.
Players should get better defensively with experience - so should Hronek.
I think Faulk is a bit more run and gun than Hronek.
I'd be pretty happy getting a Faulk in Hronek.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I think after that covid season or an international tournament that he just dominated, expectations were very high and then last year was a dud

Reactions: Realgud

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
His play has been ridiculously good this season.
Indeed. Very bright future.
I never lost faith.

I don’t think Yzerman ever did either…
When Steve first got the job here, he was quick to identify Hronek as a building block.

Probably still viewed that way, despite all the outside noise about Hronek being useless or calls to ‘fire him into the sun’.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Hronek has always been very good offensively, but this season he has been great. It is fun to watch him.
Hopefully Seider picks up his game so we can have 2 weapons.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
Yep. This point also made me curious to see how his ES points stack up compared to previous years....

'18-19 - 46 gp - 18 pts - 0.39 pts/gp
'19-20 - 65 gp - 21 pts - 0.32 pts/gp
'20-21 - 56 gp - 15 pts - 0.27 pts/gp
'21-22 - 78 gp - 31 pts - 0.40 pts/gp
'22-23 - 24 gp - 12 pts - 0.50 pts/gp

Not sure how sustainable this year's rate is, I'll be interested to see how it looks at the end of the season, but it's a career-high rate so far anyway.
He has 22 pts. This year for a .92 pts per game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad