Speculation: Howard expected to hit the free-agency market

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Jimmy Howard's time in Detroit is likely coming to an end, but how will the Red Wings replace him?

I imagine he either retires or signs as a back-up to a contending team at a discount. Could see the Winnipeg Jets being potential suitors if Brossoit finds a team that gives him a chance to be a starter, but one I think is very likely is Vegas considering it's highly likely Lehner won't be there as a back-up. And he is just the right back-up to Marc-Andre Fleury, plus I see him signing as low as $700K to as high as $1.5M for one season.

But also, I imagine this opens the door for teams to send cap dump to Detroit when it comes to goalies. But the one I think makes the most sense is St. Louis sending Jake Allen to Detroit considering the Blues need to re-sign Pietrangelo.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Free agency aka, retirement. Had some fantastic seasons with the Wings, but he's 36 years old and hasn't had a great season since 2012.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I personally can't see Howard signing anywhere other then Detroit, He pretty much said that it's Detroit or retirement. He looked pretty slow and not quite with it this year. He needs to retire ASAP.
you're always going to look pretty slow and bad to clean up the messes in front of him that the detroit D corps was hanging him and bernier out to dry routinely

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Howard's done.

As far as the Detroit crease, they have lots of options. Not everyone will want to sign there but there is a fairly open crease so someone will take the money to go. The best selling point would be if they won the lottery and had Lafreniere to dangle in terms of the team improving within the next few years.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
There is no way Howard will uproot his family for one more year for an extra million bucks after all he has made in his career

Also, who in their right mind would sign him at this stage? He is very obviously done as an NHL goalie

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I dunno. I think after a season in which he only played 27 games and somehow managed to win just 2 (!!!) of them, there aren't going to be a ton of suitors for him. I do wonder about Edmonton because of Ken Holland's longstanding faith in him and Mike Smith is going to be 39 but still...I think he retires.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It’s unfortunate he had to play the last games of his career with the Dead Things.

HE only played for the Red Wings

he is 36 and there will be a lot of goalie movement this off season. HE made 4 mill last year and I can not see a team offering more then 1.5 to 2 for him to be the back up. He might just call it a career and take a job off the ice with the wings

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I expect he will retire, or sign as backup for 750,000-1,000,000 with someone else. Leaning 85% that he retires.

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Howie is done, his body is broken.

It was hard to watch how terrible his late lateral movement had gotten. He could barely go post to post this year.

Hopefully he’s able to recover but that would be a miracle imo.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Well, it would seem the Wings have officially moved on from him.

I suspect he will probably retire at this point given how things have gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad