How you feeling about the 2022 WJC?

How do you feel about the 2022 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships (select up to 3)?

• Just as hyped as always!

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Ehh, it's not ideal but better than nothing

Votes: 73 46.2%
  • The Hockey Canada Scandal has turned me off quite a bit

Votes: 29 18.4%
  • The timing has turned me off quite a bit

Votes: 59 37.3%
  • The lack of Russia has turned me off quite a bit

Votes: 22 13.9%
  • I never care about the World Juniors anyways

Votes: 15 9.5%

• Total voters

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What is your level of excitement given the unique circumstances? Normally it is held in the Winter with players close to mid-season form, since it was cancelled due to COVID they postponed it until now. The timing means training camps are approaching and a number of players that would have been present in the winter are not as they gear up for the pro team camps. Additionally, Hockey Canada is in the midst of a large scandal relating to a sexual assault allegation involving a previous World Juniors team. Finally, Russia is banned by IIHF due to the invasion of Ukraine meaning a potential top prospect in Michkov is not participating.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That was a great Czechia v Slovakia game today. I don't even know what everyone else is fussing about half the time. There's good hockey on tv!

Reactions: bert

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Didn’t even know they were going on, I will tune into the USA-Germany game tonight but I won’t obsess over the WJC like I usually do and watch every game closely

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
“Ridiculously priced tickets were a mistake” needs to be there.

This desperately needed cheaper tickets to get more people to go despite the absence of many of the higher profile draft picks going to the NHL soon. (The scandal hurts too obviously but a lot of guys people would have wanted to see aren’t there and the prices don’t reflect that at all.)

Sucks for the kids to not have bigger crowds, I hope it picks up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Poppy Whoa Sonnet

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Personally speaking, I look at the WJC as something to watch during the holiday season. I'm paying attention, but its just not the same being that it's August.

And while I don't want to get into the politics of Russia not participating....as a Wild fan, selfishly, I would like to see Yurov and Khusnetdinov play against the best of their peers.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
“Ridiculously price tickets were a mistake” needs to be there.

This desperately needed cheaper tickets to get more people to go despite the absence of many of the higher profile draft picks going to the NHL soon. (The scandal hurts too obviously but a lot of guys people would have wanted to see aren’t there and the prices don’t reflect that at all.)

Its also a busy travel season, so many people are heading elsewhere.

Personally speaking, I look at the WJC as something to watch during the holiday season. I'm paying attention, but its just not the same being that it's August.

And while I don't want to get into the politics of Russia not participating....as a Wild fan, selfishly, I would like to see Yurov and Khusnetdinov play against the best of their peers.

Agreed. Especially during the holidays when many have time off and are generally at home. Hard to find the time to watch it n the summer with so much else going on.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Interesting that it is being held in Edmonton, where if I read it correctly, the Oilers have zero prospects playing and the Flames have 1. That will create a buzz.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm literally just finding out now that the WJC are on. I saw the sub-forum had been bumped, but I figured it was for the summer evaluation camps.

So I'm not sure how I feel... probably apathetic. I'm mostly just shocked that this is the first time I'm hearing of this.

Evergreen

I'm less excited because I don't have a way to watch it here in the US since it's only on NHL Network and I don't have cable. But it's nice to have some hockey to catch up on in the morning.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
The combination of being in the summer and a lot of players missing because of camps I actually couldn't care less. I was going to watch and go to a game or 2 since it's in Edmonton but I've found myself not interested enough to check scores.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Have not watched a single game. The situation with Russia + Hockey Canada just has me completely turned off from it. It's obviously not these young kids fault but I just cannot support Hockey Canada in anyway until the entire thing is stripped out and people get justice.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
“Ridiculously price tickets were a mistake” needs to be there.

Covid has shown us we don’t NEED sports we just want it. Ticket prices, concessions, anything to do with sports are ridiculously priced and there is little value left. Tickets to watch Canada Vs. Latvia were what? $150?! It’s crazy. I hope fans can show we won’t take it any more and tickets etc drop to the point where the average Joe can afford to go to a sporting event.

Reactions: MessierII

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It’s a mix of factors. Right now in Edmonton the issue is it is the middle of summer and people are traveling and enjoying the outdoors during our short summer season. The other big one is the promotion companies have all boycotted hockey Canada so there was literally zero advertising or tournament promotion locally.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
usually dont watch the WJs until the medal round but having it in summer i doubt i will take time away from being outside enjoying the weather to watch it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad