Proposal: How would you rework the schedule?

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Lots of talk in the last couple days (rightly) about how poorly the schedule is currently constructed, with Montreal only coming here once this season.

I'd be curious to hear your proposals for a new schedule...I've had a couple ideas in mind. I think it is important for every team to play at least a home and away with the rest of the league...but beyond that?

Scenario 1 - Same Divisions, 91 Games

Divisional Play - 5x (3 Home, 2 Away, alternating yearly) = 35 games
Conference Play - 3x (2 Home, 1 Away, alternating yearly) = 24 games
Out of Conference Play - 2x (1 Home, 1 Away) = 32 games

This would be extremely unlikely to happen because the season's already too long, and adding in another 9 games is probably asking too much.

You could cut it down to 84 games by playing the divisional opponents 4x, which is reasonable but still feels like too little divisional play.

Scenario 2 - 8 Divisions, 86 Games

Northeast - Bruins, Canadiens, Senators, Maple Leafs
New York - Sabres, Devils, Islanders, Rangers
Atlantic - Blue Jackets, Red Wings, Flyers, Penguins
Southeast - Hurricanes, Panthers, Lightning, Capitals

North Central - Blackhawks, Wild, Blues, Jets
South Central - Avalanche, Stars, Predators, Coyotes
Southwest - Ducks, Kings, Sharks, Golden Knights
Northwest - Flames, Oilers, Kraken, Canucks

Divisional Play - 6x (3 Home, 3 Away) = 18 games
Conference Play - 3x (2 Home, 1 Away, alternating yearly) = 36 games

Honestly, I love this scenario. Lots of intra-divisional play, still see the rest of the conference 4x a year, and see every team at least twice. Slightly increases the number of games but should cut down on travel. Divisions aren't perfect but they're solid. Could cut 4 games a season by rotating which division in your conference you only play 2x instead of 3x?

Another intriguing option is playing the rest of the conference 4x, and the opposite conference 1x. That cuts things down to the current 82 games, but I don't love only playing the west once.

Playoff scenarios get a bit interesting with 8 divisions. You could do the #1 in each division and 4 wild cards, which I feel like is reasonable, and seed 1-8 based on points. Or you could do the Top 4 as the division winners. Or you could get really crazy and just have the top 2 from each division, no wild cards.

Would love to hear your thoughts! :)

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Lots of talk in the last couple days (rightly) about how poorly the schedule is currently constructed, with Montreal only coming here once this season.

I'd be curious to hear your proposals for a new schedule...I've had a couple ideas in mind. I think it is important for every team to play at least a home and away with the rest of the league...but beyond that?

This would be extremely unlikely to happen because the season's already too long, and adding in another 9 games is probably asking too much.

You could cut it down to 84 games by playing the divisional opponents 4x, which is reasonable but still feels like too little divisional play.

Honestly, I love this scenario. Lots of intra-divisional play, still see the rest of the conference 4x a year, and see every team at least twice. Slightly increases the number of games but should cut down on travel. Divisions aren't perfect but they're solid. Could cut 4 games a season by rotating which division in your conference you only play 2x instead of 3x?

Another intriguing option is playing the rest of the conference 4x, and the opposite conference 1x. That cuts things down to the current 82 games, but I don't love only playing the west once.

Playoff scenarios get a bit interesting with 8 divisions. You could do the #1 in each division and 4 wild cards, which I feel like is reasonable, and seed 1-8 based on points. Or you could do the Top 4 as the division winners. Or you could get really crazy and just have the top 2 from each division, no wild cards.

Gotta be honest…I’m on vacation and it’s a long post so apologies. But 91 and 86 games aren’t going to happen. If you want to steal games for the division it has to come from interconference other division. Drop the third game against the Metro. Not advocating for it, but you’re not getting 1 game against some teams. Not happening.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
84 game schedule

home and away with other conference - 32 games

3 times against other division in conference - 24 games - Who gets the extra home game? Instead of alternating, make it the division of the team that won the ECF the year before. Or here is a novel idea - make the all-star game mean something. The winner gets home ice the next season.

4 times against divisional opponents - 28 games

Playoffs create rivalries not the regular season. The rivalry with Toronto was almost non existent until they met in the playoffs. There was no rivalry with Vancouver until 2011 and it still exists.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I would love the regular season cut back, 82 games is just too long. I am in favor of more teams in the playoffs, maybe top 10 similar to NBA, except that teams 7-10 play best of 3 mini series.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
83 game schedule. 5x games against each team in division (35 games), 2x games against all other teams (48 games). Puts much more emphasis on divisional rivalries.

The extra odd game will be a neutral site, so every team will be involved in a neutral site game. NHL can send them anywhere to help grow the game. Europe, Asia, North American cities without a team. Places like Quebec City that have a rink could sign up to host a handful of games.

Then make the all star game into an all star tournament and have it kickoff the season instead of being in the middle. Could be in the middle of the preseason. Winners determine home ice in the semis and Cup finals. Atlantic vs. Metro, winner gets home ice in the 3rd round, same for Pacific vs. Central. Gives the NHL a marquise event with meaning and a best-on-best hockey tournament. And it's early enough where players would have time to heal before playoffs should their be any injuries, so hopefully they'd play hard.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Lessen the games to 78 and bring back the rivalries. I want to see the Bruins playing the Canadiens, Leafs, Sabres and Senators at least 6 times per regular season. Take a note from the NFL play the western Conference teams on certain years, break it down. Sure McDavid packs the house but There was nothing like watching games between the Nords and Canadiens, Bruins / Canadiens, when there was true hate going on.. Ill take 6 games against the habs and the leafs than trying to showcase the league/teams to every city.

Last edited:
Reactions: missingchicklet

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I’d cut 20 games or so. I’d use an NFL style schedule. Wouldn’t play every team from the alternate conference but rotate through them over 3-4 years. Then 1 or 2 games per year against non divisional teams in the same conference and the majority of the schedule vs division rivals.

Reactions: TCB

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Honestly I’d only go one home or away out of conference game. Then the next year flip it. Whatever out of conference road games you have one year would be home games the next year and vice versa.

Divisional play with rivalries is too important to the NHL. That Montreal game was a top 5 game of the season. Need more of it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The NHL isn't going to reduce the # of games, despite that big tv deal they still need the gate revenue.

I think @UConn126's idea is intriguing. I'm definitely in favor of more division play.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
83 game schedule. 5x games against each team in division (35 games), 2x games against all other teams (48 games). Puts much more emphasis on divisional rivalries.

The extra odd game will be a neutral site, so every team will be involved in a neutral site game. NHL can send them anywhere to help grow the game. Europe, Asia, North American cities without a team. Places like Quebec City that have a rink could sign up to host a handful of games.

Then make the all star game into an all star tournament and have it kickoff the season instead of being in the middle. Could be in the middle of the preseason. Winners determine home ice in the semis and Cup finals. Atlantic vs. Metro, winner gets home ice in the 3rd round, same for Pacific vs. Central. Gives the NHL a marquise event with meaning and a best-on-best hockey tournament. And it's early enough where players would have time to heal before playoffs should their be any injuries, so hopefully they'd play hard.
This is brilliant

There will still be a discrepancy of 3 home games and 2 road games against divisional opponents, but maybe they can put it on a sliding rotation, like one year you have 3 home against MTL/TOR/OTT and 3 road against TB/FLA/BUF and your neutral site game is DET; then next year 3 home against FLA/BUF/DET, 3 road against MTL/TOR/OTT and neutral vs. TB; year 3 3 home against TOR/OTT/TB, 3 road vs FLA/BUF/DET, neutral MTL, etc.

Last edited:

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
4 games against division. 2 against everyone else. Then 3 extra home-and-homes against selected rivals. Could be NYR, PHI and PIT, or MNT, NYR & TOR. It can rotate per year. Or you can make it like the NFL where the three extra home-and-homes against the other divisions that placed in the same spot as your team. So next year BOS would play CAR, VEG and DAL.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I like Uconn's idea. It satisfies both the people who want the old rivalries and those who want cross-conference exposure. Throw in the neutral site games and I think you have something.

I would love to see it with two fewer teams and fewer games but that will not happen.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I`m not nearly as patient nor smart enough to articulate what I would like to see but I can tell you this, regardless if the Habs are hot garbage or not, having their only visit to the TD and their 2nd tilt vs one another with a dozen or so games left in the year doesn`t seem right to me

Reactions: missingchicklet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad