how would u guys rate ovechkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Offensively, he likely won't be as good as Kovalchuk, but he'll be close, and undoubtedly suberb on defense.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
From all that I have read and seen - if I were to compare him to Kovalchuk I'd say as skilled offensively, much, much better defensively - he's good defensively. Let's put it this way, IMO if Mario plays next season and the Penguins have the number one pick then the Penguins will be able to say in the future that their two best players ever got to play together for a season or two. I think Ovechkin will be one of the top five players, if not the best player in the NHL in a decade. I would trade just about any young player (Legwand, Havlat, Comrie, Zetterberg, Antropov) to be able to move up to the number one position. I know some of you are going to flame me hard core, but I seriously think this kid will be a greater impact player by the time he's 20-21, but that is just my opinion, and I haven't seen a whole bunch of him.... so I'm sure the opinions will greatly vary.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
thome_26 said:
I would trade just about any young player (Legwand, Havlat, Comrie, Zetterberg, Antropov) to be able to move up to the number one position.

I doubt the team getting him would accept any of these offers though. All the guys you mentioned are bright young talents, but from all accounts Ovechkin appears to have the potential to be something better and great, so I'd doubt the teams would be willing to trade that pick and risk missing out on such a talent...

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
DutchLeafsfan said:
I doubt the team getting him would accept any of these offers though. All the guys you mentioned are bright young talents, but from all accounts Ovechkin appears to have the potential to be something better and great, so I'd doubt the teams would be willing to trade that pick and risk missing out on such a talent...
well, they'd have to send their first as well - they wouldn't be traded for the pick straight up, but it would be an upgrade deal. But ya, I know what you mean, I couldn't see myself trading Ovechkin for any of them and a mid to late round first. If it was a top ten with those guys it'd get consideration..... but I would still probably not do it.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
thome_26 said:
From all that I have read and seen - if I were to compare him to Kovalchuk I'd say as skilled offensively, much, much better defensively - he's good defensively. Let's put it this way, IMO if Mario plays next season and the Penguins have the number one pick then the Penguins will be able to say in the future that their two best players ever got to play together for a season or two. I think Ovechkin will be one of the top five players, if not the best player in the NHL in a decade. I would trade just about any young player (Legwand, Havlat, Comrie, Zetterberg, Antropov) to be able to move up to the number one position. I know some of you are going to flame me hard core, but I seriously think this kid will be a greater impact player by the time he's 20-21, but that is just my opinion, and I haven't seen a whole bunch of him.... so I'm sure the opinions will greatly vary.
I think you are grossly undervaluing how much it will take to get that 1st pick. At the draft table, but not before, I could see the Canucks offering Naslund, Morrison & 2 first round picks & I doubt that would be enough. We are talking possible true super star potential here on a level not seen since Mario or Lindros. Higher than Spezza, Kovalchuk or Lecavalier as Ovechkin is likely at superstar level both offensively & defensively.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
thome_26 said:
From all that I have read and seen - if I were to compare him to Kovalchuk I'd say as skilled offensively, much, much better defensively - he's good defensively. Let's put it this way, IMO if Mario plays next season and the Penguins have the number one pick then the Penguins will be able to say in the future that their two best players ever got to play together for a season or two.

Well, don't forget Jagr and Francis...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
thome_26 said:
Better career than Jagr??? would be hard to reach...

thestonedkoala

I was going to suggest that Ovechkin feels like Kovalchuk but...a little better defensively which doesn't hurt.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
I see a lot of Joe Sakic in Ovechkin...as well as Sergei Fedorov and Steve Yzerman. He is bigger and will probably be more physical than the three though. I think Ovechkin is a lot smarter than Kovalchuk but not quite as skilled. And certainly not as flashy.

Marmax

Dec 28, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Sampe said:
I see a lot of Joe Sakic in Ovechkin...as well as Sergei Fedorov and Steve Yzerman. He is bigger and will probably be more physical than the three though. I think Ovechkin is a lot smarter than Kovalchuk but not quite as skilled. And certainly not as flashy.

I agree that he is not as skilled than Kovalchuk, but I see him like a better playmaker than Kovalchuk ( by the way Kovalchuk is a pretty great playmaker). You would be surprised how flashy Ovechkin could be sometimes. Overall, I think it is too soon to determine which of Ovechkin or Kovalchuk because both have only scratched their potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad