Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Fehr-Dupuis
Bennett-Bonino-Sundqvist

Letang-Maatta
Pouliot-Cole
Dumoulin-Clendening

Fleury
Zatkoff

I am trembling with excitement. No clue how Rutherford pulled all these moves off. How will we finish 2015/16? I genuinely believe we can win the cup, if things go a certain way.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Defense still needs boost. Pouliot-Cole is not a proper 2nd pairing, so isnt Dumo-Clendening as a 3rd pair.

But yes, it seems like a upgrade summer that we have asked for the last 2-3years basically.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Defense still needs boost. Pouliot-Cole is not a proper 2nd pairing, so isnt Dumo-Clendening as a 3rd pair.

But yes, it seems like a upgrade summer that we have asked for the last 2-3years basically.

I definitely agree... we could really use another top 4 defenseman, but if we get that... we're in damn good shape.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Up til now I really felt in my gut that Washington was not just the team in the East to beat but THE team to beat in the NHL. Now, I think we hang with them but there's still a lot of "if's" about this club.

• IF Fleury doesn't go back to his old ways (I'm wary)
  • IF our young D progresses into a stable collective group (I'm skeptical for this season)
  • IF Plotnikov, Kunitz, Dupuis are actually good players next season (A little worried about this)
  • IF David Perron bounces back (I think he will)
  • IF HCMJ is the right man for the job (I'm probably more optimistic than most)

But the one thing that makes me feel the most comfortable is Phil Kessel. When we had Marian Hossa for those fateful 20-30 games, him & Crosby were unstoppable in the playoffs. While he's not the same *type* of player he has eerily similar possession stats to Hossa in the seasons preceding him coming here. Whichever of Sid or Geno Phil plays with, I have no doubt, will just be an unstoppable force.

So given that and our new found strength in the Centre position which I'd have to say is the best in the NHL, I reluctantly (more for superstitious reasons than anything) give us the edge for the Stanley Cup, with the extremely big caveat that we can have similar Man-Games-Lost to previous Stanley Cup Winners.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Second round loss. And I'd be OK with that, all things considered.

Next season is year two of three of the Shero/Disco de-****ing, by my estimation. Team speed is still an issue. Defense holds promise but could also be very mediocre should the majority of their younger/inexperienced guys not round into form in a hurry. Health is always a thing... particularly with two out of their three top players.

Summer isn't done yet but there is still a bit of dead weight that could use cutting, too. I have more and more confidence it will at least mostly be done. I think there will be a lot of feeling things out next year and a lot depends on how quickly things gel... or don't. I really like the direction the team is looking towards going in, though. It's my preferred way. It might prove to be the wrong way... but I'm more than ready to find out.

It's encouraging to see them follow through with getting the team's best players real, tangible, immediate help. If absolutely nothing else. That's what I've been yelling for for years. And that's what is finally happening.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I voted for them to win the Cup. Not necessarily because I think they will, but because this is the best roster we've had to start a season in a very, very long time and I think it's okay to feel like they could make some noise this year.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Voted cup too because i think they'll be contenders. Posted this on the main board's "The Pens didn't have to trade Malkin to get better?" thread which explains why:

Concerning our D, we'll be entering our coach 2nd possession system season. This will put less pressure on it because the forwards lines are now stacked and like they say "offense is the best defense".

Cole is already good but one of Pouliot or Dumoulin will have to step up. It's also quite possible that Rutherford hasn't finished dealing so a vet 2nd liner could still pop up.

As for Fleury, he's coming from a .920 season & very good PO. I'm not worried about him anymore since we got a new goalie coach that improved his technique.

As for health, we got a new better conditionning/nutrition staff that should help at preventing injuries.

Last edited:

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
Not ready for SC yet, but 3rd round could be good estimate. I'd say floor is 2nd round exit, cap SC final loss. Those damn teams in west, especially LaKings and Anaheim this time around.. I dont count Chicago because they cannot win 4th cup in 6 years.. they cant, right?...riiiiight.

Chi, Ana, Los..oh and of course St Louis, Nashville is also pretty solid.. Fukkin west!

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Not ready for SC yet, but 3rd round could be good estimate. I'd say floor is 2nd round exit, cap SC final loss. Those damn teams in west, especially LaKings and Anaheim this time around.. I dont count Chicago because they cannot win 4th cup in 6 years.. they cant, right?...riiiiight.

Chi, Ana, Los..oh and of course St Louis, Nashville is also pretty solid.. ****ing west!

We actually did pretty good against western teams last season, including teams like Kings & Ducks.

What killed us was the Metropolitan but injuries & a lack of discipline too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad