How Will The Order Actually Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
We know that teams have anywhere from 1-3 balls, but physically how is this going to work? I would LOVE to have seen this live on TV, it would make many hockey fans get into the new season.

I am assuming that they start with the 30th pick, so if a team has 3 balls and they get number 30, do they stop the machine and hunt for their other two balls before starting back up or take it out and continue ? ?

Or will they start at number 1 pick (it would seem to kill the drama though), and if the team has the pick again they just take there ball out and keep going?

Anyone have an idea?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
why would they pick #30 first? that doesn't really make much sense. they will pick from 1-30, top to bottom, and each team who gets picked will have their ping-pong balls removed, or if they come out again, they just discard.

Skroob*

nyhabsfan said:
Drama, like the NBA draft or a beauty pagent, they peel away everyone else until only two are left standing.

ok, but then they have the weighted system in reverse. IE: teams like COL and PHI should have 3 balls, while BUF and NYR should then only have one.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Skroob said:
ok, but then they have the weighted system in reverse. IE: teams like COL and PHI should have 3 balls, while BUF and NYR should then only have one.
Would it work if they just picked from 30-1 and then only counted the balls if it was a teams final ball?

For example, the first ball picked in Vancouver, since they have 1 ball, they're out, so they pick 30, the second ball is NYR, but they still have 2 more, so they remain in the hunt for number 1, the third ball is Toronto, since they have 1, they are out, so they pick 29. Then so on and so forth.

:dunno:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Skroob said:

They will pick 1-30, but reveal 30-1 unfortunately. Either broadcast it live or reveal it 1-30. There is a chance for everyone in 1-30 revelation, but only a chance for two and the loser gets the second overall pick in the 30-1 revelation. But knowing the NHL, they will reveal it 30-1.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Hedberg16 said:
They will pick 1-30, but reveal 30-1 unfortunately. Either broadcast it live or reveal it 1-30. There is a chance for everyone in 1-30 revelation, but only a chance for two and the loser gets the second overall pick in the 30-1 revelation. But knowing the NHL, they will reveal it 30-1.
I don't know, how many people really will keep watching after the #1?

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Hedberg16 said:

i actually like the idea of revealing it backwards

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
cxreg said:
watching what? it isn't televised anyway
I mean at the press conference Friday, they may not show the actual lottery (which doesn't exactly excite me the way some people seem to feel) but they will announce what happened at some point.

Skroob*

Hedberg16 said:

revealing it 30-1 is fine, in fact, i like it. However, i think the OP was talking about pulling the balls in that order, which doesnt make sence with the current weighted system (but would work if it was 1:30 even odds for all)

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
kruezer said:
Would it work if they just picked from 30-1 and then only counted the balls if it was a teams final ball?

For example, the first ball picked in Vancouver, since they have 1 ball, they're out, so they pick 30, the second ball is NYR, but they still have 2 more, so they remain in the hunt for number 1, the third ball is Toronto, since they have 1, they are out, so they pick 29. Then so on and so forth.

You know, I really like that. Easy to follow, televise, no "unloading of extra balls" needed.

Plus, it has the added benefit of really respecting the weighting. As my sim has shown, anything can happen on a single run, 3 ball teams picking 30th, 1 ball teams with all the best picks, etc.

Doing it this way, it's extremely unlikely for a 3 ball team to end up 30th.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
first ball pick gets the #1 pick. if it was the opposite then the teams with 3 balls would have the worst odds of getting the #1 pick since they'd have the highest odds of getting #30 and that isn't the case.

as for drama, the lottery is gonna be done behind close doors so they will know 1-30 which always them to reveal the picks 30-1

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
NYR469 said:
first ball pick gets the #1 pick. if it was the opposite then the teams with 3 balls would have the worst odds of getting the #1 pick since they'd have the highest odds of getting #30 and that isn't the case.

as for drama, the lottery is gonna be done behind close doors so they will know 1-30 which always them to reveal the picks 30-1

But if you did it kruezer's way (aka Survivor mode, last man standing wins), you could do both. Teams with 3 balls would have the best chance of lasting until the end where the #1 pick would be the grand prize, and you could do it live as each ball left the machine, as each ball would be needed.

You'd have the drama of #30 up to #1, and everyone would see the balls come out of the machines themselves, and would know it was legit.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I would imagine it is not "last ball standing=1st pick". They have to decide the entire draft order. So whatever team wins the first twirl will have their remaining balls removed if needed, and then it will go again for the 2nd pick, thru 30.

Since the actually pulling of the balls from the machine is not going to be aired on TV there is no point to create suspense for the GMs watching. Just when they do the little 30 min TV bit on TSN it would make most sense to reveal 30th down to 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad