How to stop teams from holding back their players

Status
Not open for further replies.

mytor4*

Canuck21t said:
Canadians DO care about the Olympics. Mario Lemieux's goal was to play at the Olympics in 2002 and missed NHL games so that he'd be rested enough to represent Canada. Steve Yzerman too played injured for Canada and came back with a bad knee if I remember correctly. Both were critized by the club's city media for putting Canada before their NHL club.

really the poll stats suggest just the opposite. i never said canadians did not care about the gold just that they care about the silver cup more.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
mytor4 said:
really the poll stats suggest just the opposite. i never said canadians did not care about the gold just that they care about the silver cup more.
I don't think there is any question that Canadian fans love the Stanley Cup first, and the Olympics second. However most Canadian fans do recognize that the NHL regular season is too long, and certainly value the Olympics more than most regular season games.

Phanuthier*

helicecopter said:
LOL, the NHL chief says/thinks the NHL is more important!!!!! Interesting!!!
Yeah, and to think people in this thread actually thought otherwise. :help:

Phanuthier*

Mr Kanadensisk said:
I don't think there is any question that Canadian fans love the Stanley Cup first, and the Olympics second. However most Canadian fans do recognize that the NHL regular season is too long, and certainly value the Olympics more than most regular season games.
I'd rank the WJC above the Olympics as well

Phanuthier*

helicecopter said:
The quote was how Canadians value tournaments. I perfer the WJC, because they play with a lot more passion then the Olympics / World Cup. The World Cup was alright, but I didn't care about it any more then a regular season game. Even when you have the top scorer's in the league, its the same game played by the same players, playing a system to near perfection.

I like the WJC, because you see alot more creativity, freedom and passion. In pro hockey, you see a rigid defensive system played to perfection... in the WJC, you see a more free game.

The WJC are a tournament favourite for many, more then the pro evens like the Olympics / World Cup.

helicecopter

Mar 8, 2003
give me higher shots
Visit site
Phanuthier said:
The quote was how Canadians value tournaments. I perfer the WJC, because they play with a lot more passion then the Olympics / World Cup. The World Cup was alright, but I didn't care about it any more then a regular season game. Even when you have the top scorer's in the league, its the same game played by the same players, playing a system to near perfection.

I like the WJC, because you see alot more creativity, freedom and passion. In pro hockey, you see a rigid defensive system played to perfection... in the WJC, you see a more free game.

The WJC are a tournament favourite for many, more then the pro evens like the Olympics / World Cup.
Well i guess everyone has his own tastes, fair enough. I like a lot the WJC me too (to watch the new players coming around), but the level of play and the importance of the outcome are not even comparable..

btw..
In pro hockey, you see a rigid defensive system played to perfection..
this is what led this year Canada junior team to the win..

Also, the passion and creativity you can see at the Olympics are on a different planet compared with WJC, especially for European teams.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
Phanuthier said:
I'd rank the WJC above the Olympics as well

The SLC gold medal game set a record by drawing an average of 8.7 million viewers on CBC. The Canadian record for the WJC was the 2003 Gold Medal game with an average of 3.5 million viewers. The CBC record for a Stanley Cup game was an average of 4.9 million viewers for game 7, 2004, Calgary vs. TB.

Obviously the Olympics aren't that popular?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
SectionX said:
Olympci gold means a lot for canadian players and coaches.

Look at the reaction after Canada wins gold 2002. It's like they won Superbowl!

http://hem.bredband.net/b285375/Team Canada Hockey Gold.mpg

On a bit of a different tangent, as a fan, would you rather see your NHL team win the Cup or your national team win the Olympics or any other "best on best" competition.

As a Canadian, I would rather see the national team win and keep our place as the number 1 hockey nation.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anyone who thinks that Forsberg not playing for Sweden is some kind of Canadian conspiracy is deluding themselves.

The guy is CHRONICALLY injured.

He's injured right now in fact. Despite all the warnings, Philadelphia went out and picked up the best player in the world (when he's healthy) and discovered how their team plays when he isn't.

If Philadelphia is going to have any hope in the playoffs, Foppa has to be playing. Considering he's already missed nearly a quarter of the Flyers' season, are you particularly surprised that there might be pressure for him not to go?

It has nothing to do with his nationality and everything to do with his impact on his NHL team, his current injury status and his past history of injury.

I am 100 % positive that Ottawa's management doesn't want Hasek to play (we're sunk if he's out) but he hasn't shown any injuries yet this season (knock on wood) so it's not even an issue.

SChan*

NyQuil said:
He's injured right now in fact.

you're wrong. Forsberg is as of today not feeling any pain in his groin and will play next game.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
SectionX said:
you're wrong. Forsberg is as of today not feeling any pain in his groin and will play next game.

Right, let's see if he even makes the Olympic break without reinjuring it.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
NyQuil said:
Right, let's see if he even makes the Olympic break without reinjuring it.

I was thinking that if he can't feel any pain maybe he has severe, severe nerve damage.

Forsberg without injuries is like Khavanov without the suck. Impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad