How to choose the right flex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

topcorner

Jan 11, 2006
As a foward my magic wand is an easton Z-bubble grip int. 75 flex shaft. I'm not the biggest or the tallest player, at 5'5" 135lbs. Leaning towards one piece composite stick should I get an int. 65 flex easton synergy sl/stealth, 35/mid rbk, vapor int. or maybe try a senior stick with a regular flex?. Btw, I rarely take slapshots, 95% are wristshots (quick release). :dunno: HELP!!!!

jaywills1020

Mar 14, 2004
at your size i wouldnt go with an adult stick. stick to the int flex even if you go with the one piece. you dont have the weight and no offense to you but you probably dont have the strength for a higher flex stick. i weigh 180 and still use a 95 flex z bubble grip.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
Hey,

I'm a newbie in the hockey sticks thing. Considering I've used wood sticks all my life, and never really cared, I don't know what a flex really is. I mean, how does the number thing work, the lower the number is, the stick is stiffer, or what?

I'm 5'7.5 , 148 lbs. What do you recommand?

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Rahan said:
Hey,

I'm a newbie in the hockey sticks thing. Considering I've used wood sticks all my life, and never really cared, I don't know what a flex really is. I mean, how does the number thing work, the lower the number is, the stick is stiffer, or what?

I'm 5'7.5 , 148 lbs. What do you recommand?

Opposite. The higher the number the more stiff it is. I think it has a lot to do with your size, based on the average size of a human being you would be considered small so you shouldn't use a regular flex (100) but something smaller like the original poster has (75, 65).

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
topcorner - I would stick with the int if I were you. If you like the feel of the 75 flex stick with that. If you perfer something softer (more flex) go with the 65. A Sr stick with a reg flex imo will be to much for you. Also keep in mind, the more you cut a stick down the stiffer it gets. I'm 5-10 150 and I use an Sr 85 flex, but I like that whippy feel.

Rahan - Different companies have differnt ways of numbering flexes. Usually the lower the number the softer the flex. At your hieght and weight I wouldn't go above regular flex. When dealing with Easton's I believe that's 100. I'll say this much. If you have used wood sticks all your life and you switch to a one piece you are in for an eye opening surprise. The best thing to do is ask someone at the shop you go to. Getting the right flex has really improved my shooting and most of all collecting those long hard passes.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Heh, heh. I'm 6'4" 280. I'm big. But yeah, I use 100 flex, because my local Dick's doesn't carry anything lower.

But yeah, wristers, I'd go with a low flex. Like 65, 77. Get more torque on your shot then.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I'm 6'3" 160lbs on a good day, but I use a 110 flex. Personally I know I prefer a much higher flex stick because when I shoot I really lean into my shots. I've broken too many sticks with lower flexes just by bending them way too much.

I personally prefer to flex the stick, leaning forward with all my weight (as if on skates and taking a full wind up wrist shot), if the sticks feels like it will give then I quickly throw it back, but if it holds up than I'll take it.

Personally I wouldn't suggest this method...I've kinda cracked a few Easton Ultra-Lite (wood sticks) with this method...

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Since composites sticks have become popular, you really notice NHLer's shooting with their sticks flexing behind them. This is also caused by a change in technique.

If you notice now, players sweep behind the puck more and lean down on their stick when they shoot. This is not a new technique, but with a composite stick that springs back to the exact same shape each time, you get extra velcoity on your shot.

This weight transfer is what golfers' do on every swing. They get their legs into the shot.

I am 6'2" and 210lbs. I have an Easton ST 100 flex and an old alumimum shaft which is an extra stiff. I do not recommend a shaft like mine or stiffer unless you really generate a lot of torque on your shot DURING THE HEAT OF THE GAME, not only in the warm up when you have 10 seconds and three strides to line up your shot.

If you are under 200lbs, I think a 85 flex is the highest I would go.

Second piece of advice.... shaft length.... get it right. This is critical.
Too long= no torque, no stickhanding.
Too short= great stick handling, good wrist shots, back aches, no torque on slap shots.

topcorner

Jan 11, 2006
Joe Cole said:
Since composites sticks have become popular, you really notice NHLer's shooting with their sticks flexing behind them. This is also caused by a change in technique.

If you notice now, players sweep behind the puck more and lean down on their stick when they shoot. This is not a new technique, but with a composite stick that springs back to the exact same shape each time, you get extra velcoity on your shot.

This weight transfer is what golfers' do on every swing. They get their legs into the shot.

I am 6'2" and 210lbs. I have an Easton ST 100 flex and an old alumimum shaft which is an extra stiff. I do not recommend a shaft like mine or stiffer unless you really generate a lot of torque on your shot DURING THE HEAT OF THE GAME, not only in the warm up when you have 10 seconds and three strides to line up your shot.

If you are under 200lbs, I think a 85 flex is the highest I would go.

Second piece of advice.... shaft length.... get it right. This is critical.
Too long= no torque, no stickhanding.
Too short= great stick handling, good wrist shots, back aches, no torque on slap shots.

My stick is under my chin just above the collar bone, but then again I have a low skating style somewhat like a speed skater. Maybe I should try a shorter stick...hum!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad